Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can Resource Drops Finally Look Like What They Really Are?

Hey fellow Tenno!

So here I was yesterday farming for some Argon on a T1 defense mission running all over the map like a mad man to make sure my carrier snatches up every resource on map and it dawned on me.

Why are ALL resources in these nice little yellow and blue/black cylinders?  Why are we still looking down toward the bottom center of the screen to read what we just picked up?

I mean we now have a real Kubrow egg to look at when one is dropped from a Kubrow nest, so why doesn't an Argon Crystal just look like an Argon Crystal?  Why doesn't a chunk of Rubedo just look like a chunk of Rubedo?

Would you all like to finally see these items in their raw form (similar to the pictures depicting them in our equipment inventory) or would you still prefer to see them as yellow containers and frantically continue to read the bottom of the screen while simultaneously shooting and avoiding death?

Please discuss.

It would be nice for resource drops to have unique models instead of using the containers but I think that the text on the bottom of the screen should stay since it would still be useful for people who don't recognise the models and people using carrier who might not even see most of the drops before they are collected.

Probably going to be more taxing on your computer and if you ask me, if we were going to up the visuals on anything up the amount of bullet holes you can see. That's been gone for way too long (since 3 days after Brakk came out) and I miss seeing my shower of bullets.

I'd be happy with blue being used for things that actually rare (neurodes, orokin cells, neural sensors...) and research items (which lets be honest, are totally worthless for the most part) as orange or some other color.  As-is, blue is the color for something not even worth walking in range for my carrier to automatically pick-up, and orange is a big question-mark of disappointment.

Personally I'm against the idea just because using individual models for every resource would mean a bit (not much) increased effort when rendering them moving around. Also if you wanted them to act like legitimate resources in terms of physics they'd take custom mesh which would be even more effort.

This being all for an item that you're going to see for maybe a second or two in detail, and only really up close.

The current system works better honestly, because it allows you to pick up small containers (seriously that's what they are, if you look closely) that contain X resource, instead of having weird random objects all over the floor. It also means they can add new resources with crazy icons without having to create some equally crazy object in-game for it.

Lastly there'd be a design challenge when it came to certain elements, e.g. you'd never be able to pick up nor even be able to find nano-spores, which really isn't a bad thing but still.

As for making resources glow like mods, I'd rather just have rare resources be a more stand-out colour like red, or perhaps have a slight noticeable glow applied to the texture itself, rather than an external glow like rare mods.

I would be overjoyed if the containers varied on color based on rarity.

I am for this as a second option

I just dont know what color

yellow is normal, blue is research, dont wanna use purple because that is oberon parts

very reluctant to use green or red because of color blindness

orange may not be recognizable as different from yellow

unless they just give rare drops a different container that is orange, then you wont have to make like 5 different models. Like a box or something.

All very good points and insight everyone.  Thanks for chiming in.  With regards to being more resource intensive (with regards to networking) I don't think much will change, as we currently have designation for "what is what" and "how much" already in the netcode; it's really how the client represents them in game that changes.

With regards to 3d models and such.  i don't believe there will be much of a problem as the current round resouce cylinders would probably have even more triangles to render than chunk of rubedo, etc.

Personally I'd love for the text in the center to stay, but I just don't want to have my eyes on it 1/2 the time while running for resources to see if I actually got an Argon Crystal.  I'd  love to just see an Argon Crystal (or if an exposed one would decay faster, than have one in a jar/container) so I know I just picked one up.

Not to make comparisons, but if anyone has played Destiny you'll know that you can see the resources in their raw form when out on patrols. (farming materials, etc.)

I don't like the idea of multi colored cylinders, because we'll end up with something that looks too much like the current ammo pack situation.

I just thought it would be really simple and perhaps it's the right time to put something in like this now.

I don't think you actually played the early days of Warframe. Every resource drop had its own model when dropped, and let me tell you: it was bad. For example, the Ferrite (or was it Morphics?) model was almost like a flat, dark-colored texture, you could barely notice it on the floor.

I am glad they changed it to this current round yellow/blue-colored box.

Edited by RextintorZ

I don't think you actually played the early days of Warframe. Every resource drop had its own model when dropped, and let me tell you: it was bad. For example, the Ferrite (or was it Morphics?) model was almost like a flat, dark-colored texture, you could barely notice it on the floor.

Well I started right about when open beta started. At the time I indeed was playing this game as if it were "Gears of Warframe" (just running and gunning, zero knowledge of crafting and faming mats, etc.); things have progressed so much since then and well... With every patch there's an opportunity for improvement. I have over 2000 hours logged and while I've been doing fine with the current system. I've just spent some time playing a bunch of other games and when I got back to Warframe I thought that this would be one of those changes that would make this game a more well polished title.

Your examples of alloy plate and ferrite, well I would certainly hope that the darker materials would have a slight colored outline around them so they would be easier to see. I would never want my suggestion to lead to a decrease in visibility of these items.

Some had their own models and yes some complain that they were hard to spot which is why we got this generic look.

I remember that the control module was actually a flat picture of the control module and they trying to be realistic, i guess, so they made it like the size of a small portable drive and it was hard to spot. But it was kinda cool.