Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

But What Is This Place For?

Innocent_Flower

It can't just be me who plays through a level, wondering what's the purpose of the installation. Granted it's nothing as bad as halo; There's a few furnishings in the large, structurally nonsense ancient buildings.  But it's certainly not Bioshock; Where everywhere has a reason to be. 

Void towers? They're not towers. Everything's horizontal, and other than easy level design, it doesn't make the most sense; Unless all those locked doors are elevators and there's an entire floor solely for hallways and grand halls that people who enjoy Really long walks in unchanging scenery can enjoy. 

Really; What is it with the Orokin, Grand halls and death traps. Don't they have kitchens, medical stations, living rooms, bedrooms, scientific and manufacturing areas? They have chairs and railings; But they don't have tables and desks. 

Grineer/Corpus too. Where do the grineer keep those uncountable soldiers on their ships? Why are there so many large, open, unused spaces? It's certainly better; You can see the occasional Rack of moa, lines for crates to be transported across, a few well-placed corpus windows. Grineer laser-work and numerous other minor things... But it ain't no rapture. A lot of it just feels like high-tech updates of those impossibly huge and well decorated fantasy-dungeons you get in fantasy rollplaying games. The corpus layout of their rooms suggest they're not really that keen on profit as they can't seem to find a logical way to store everything.

It could genuinely help gameplay. You could have characters arrange ambushes from dozens of small rooms. Cargo holds that randomly generate their crates. in-station transport that moves around the enemy/cargo that can be used as explosives or cover. It'd add variety, lore and atmosphere.  

Still waiting for that urban tileset. It's going to be all gardens, roads and tall blank walls. 

well we do get a glimpse at grineer barracks during invasion missions. the Corpus spawn in the barracks hallways and im guessing kill the grineer who happen to be sleeping at the time of invasion.

i would love to see more detail in the tilesets with things like simple everyday rooms like kitchens, bathroom, and places like mission control, research rooms, and stuff. would be cool to see enemies interact with the things in these rooms such as monitors, stoves, research and more stuff.

I remember there was ultra rare chance to get in the Grineer barracks in invasion mode. Nothing special, just small rooms with beds, and I've seen them only few times, but it greatly added to the atmosphere.

they weren't rare but DE put them in places were players would need to to take door A instead of door B, door A was the way toward the objective and door B was the barracks so players would ignore door B and go for the objective...basically it was placed in places not worth going. or something. im bad at explanations :P

I'm just gonna say that it's much harder to make every room have a purpose when you have procedural levels. "Purpose-less" rooms are kind of a necessity.

^this^ guy makes a valid point.

A lot of it just feels like high-tech updates of those impossibly huge and well decorated fantasy-dungeons you get in fantasy rollplaying games. 

That's because that's exactly what it is.

At its core, Warframe is essentially a more modern version of those old-school dungeon crawlers. 

As long as the rooms seem like they have a purpose, they work just fine. I would like a better selection of rooms though.

I'm just gonna say that it's much harder to make every room have a purpose when you have procedural levels. "Purpose-less" rooms are kind of a necessity.

I wouldn't mind if they ditched the whole random tiles. Nothing breaks immersion when I'm heading towards a ship reactor, the same ship I was just on, and then I walk through two other effin reactor rooms just like it. 

I'd much rather we have large purposefully made maps with different PARTS to it that we have access to at a time and on random missions we're only offered a set number of these rooms and chambers to run around or hold out in so that there's purpose to the tilesets. 

It all looks the same right now. Procedural generated maps add nothing but longer samey feeling hallways we've all been down hundreds of times now. 

Have you noticed that every tileset is based around water treatment except Ceres and Europa (and those have tons of water in them)? DE only cares about clean water. Nothing else matters to them.

I would like more dynamic tiles, but I am totally okay with the continued fixation on water treatment. It is entertaining.

In before three straight rows of kitchens/toilets tile sets generated with one hall connecting them :x

Yeah, I think people will complain about how many butts are in the Grineer army. Cue jokes about cloned toilets.

You can code procedural generation to make sure that only a single tile of it's kind can spawn, you can also code it so that two of the same tiles cannot spawn connected to each other.

Procedurally generate purposeful tiles then? 

In before three straight rows of kitchens/toilets tile sets generated with one hall connecting them :x

Precisely.

You can code procedural generation to make sure that only a single tile of it's kind can spawn, you can also code it so that two of the same tiles cannot spawn connected to each other.

There would still be issues with awkward placement due to it still being random.

I'm not saying we can't have rooms with purpose, we can certainly have them, but we need to have the "generic" ones as well due to the nature of how the levels are generated. Otherwise, it would just be a bunch of rooms that have a purpose on their own, but are all put together in awkward and nonsensical ways.

And if we were to do this:

I wouldn't mind if they ditched the whole random tiles. Nothing breaks immersion when I'm heading towards a ship reactor, the same ship I was just on, and then I walk through two other effin reactor rooms just like it. 

I'd much rather we have large purposefully made maps with different PARTS to it that we have access to at a time and on random missions we're only offered a set number of these rooms and chambers to run around or hold out in so that there's purpose to the tilesets. 

It all looks the same right now. Procedural generated maps add nothing but longer samey feeling hallways we've all been down hundreds of times now. 

That would just bring it's own share of problems with it, tbh.

One thing I found rather funny is that the infested ship tileset on eris looks more like a functional ship than the original version.

The only way I can think of to have logical tilesets and still have some randomness so we are not running the exact same map every time is if instead of building individual tiles and then randomly connecting them DE builds the entire area and then uses locked doors on interior tilesets and various types of debris on outdoor tilesets to randomly open and close various routes so we are always running the same map but are taking different routes through it every time.

In case I did not explain myself properly what I am saying is using the grineer gallion as an example instead of making various tiles that match the gallion's theme and stringing them together create the entire ship down to every floor and every single room and then use the impassible red doors to randomly lock off parts of the ship to create random routes through it though obviously for technical reasons your computer would not load the parts of the ship you cannot access anyways hopefully one of those explanations made sense.

Yes, because when I run a Void Extermination mission, I might want to check out the gift shop.

Why do buildings in CoD4 make no functional sense? Because they are not designed to have a ton of dead end rooms like a real house, they are designed with traversal in mind, to move in and through.

A map is supposed to support the game play you want on it, not "architecture".

"It can't just be me who plays through a level, wondering what's the purpose of the installation"

Pretty much. Yea.

Edited by DSpite

One thing I found rather funny is that the infested ship tileset on eris looks more like a functional ship than the original version.

The only way I can think of to have logical tilesets and still have some randomness so we are not running the exact same map every time is if instead of building individual tiles and then randomly connecting them DE builds the entire area and then uses locked doors on interior tilesets and various types of debris on outdoor tilesets to randomly open and close various routes so we are always running the same map but are taking different routes through it every time.

In case I did not explain myself properly what I am saying is using the grineer gallion as an example instead of making various tiles that match the gallion's theme and stringing them together create the entire ship down to every floor and every single room and then use the impassible red doors to randomly lock off parts of the ship to create random routes through it though obviously for technical reasons your computer would not load the parts of the ship you cannot access anyways hopefully one of those explanations made sense.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,............................::::::::::::::::::: 

Use them wisely, young Tenno :)

You know those room caps we have now? Replace them with atmospheric rooms, like the kitchens and such that were mentioned here.

This sounds a good solution. Would change up the scenery.

While in this scenario in theory we could have more diverse rooms, it would get boring really quickly. Even with random generated rooms, after a while you get used them, and traverse them without a thought. If we had a giant pre-made set, we would learn to traverse them even faster. No matter how they randomize the route through it, the labyrinth will be learned.  

It can't just be me who plays through a level, wondering what's the purpose of the installation. Granted it's nothing as bad as halo; There's a few furnishings in the large, structurally nonsense ancient buildings.  But it's certainly not Bioshock; Where everywhere has a reason to be. 

Void towers? They're not towers. Everything's horizontal, and other than easy level design, it doesn't make the most sense; Unless all those locked doors are elevators and there's an entire floor solely for hallways and grand halls that people who enjoy Really long walks in unchanging scenery can enjoy. 

Really; What is it with the Orokin, Grand halls and death traps. Don't they have kitchens, medical stations, living rooms, bedrooms, scientific and manufacturing areas? They have chairs and railings; But they don't have tables and desks. 

Grineer/Corpus too. Where do the grineer keep those uncountable soldiers on their ships? Why are there so many large, open, unused spaces? It's certainly better; You can see the occasional Rack of moa, lines for crates to be transported across, a few well-placed corpus windows. Grineer laser-work and numerous other minor things... But it ain't no rapture. A lot of it just feels like high-tech updates of those impossibly huge and well decorated fantasy-dungeons you get in fantasy rollplaying games. The corpus layout of their rooms suggest they're not really that keen on profit as they can't seem to find a logical way to store everything.

It could genuinely help gameplay. You could have characters arrange ambushes from dozens of small rooms. Cargo holds that randomly generate their crates. in-station transport that moves around the enemy/cargo that can be used as explosives or cover. It'd add variety, lore and atmosphere.  

Still waiting for that urban tileset. It's going to be all gardens, roads and tall blank walls. 

I'm sick of the cookie-cutter tileset system. I want big, standardized levels, but arranged in such a way that variety is possible, like say, having different sections locked down every time.

And half of the Corpus you need to exterminate are there taking a dump at that moment. Including the one Moa in that group that is trying to be a human by sitting on a toilet.