Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why The Top End Soma Prime Should Be Better Than Top End Boltor Prime

Holeypaladin

Yes, it's another soma prime topic.... but it's a recent realization I've had while levelling up the soma prime.

The realization is that, without a catalyst, and without at least four polarity slots... the soma kinda sucks.

You really need those fourth, fifth, and sixth polarity slots (4 forma or so) to really make the soma and soma prime perform at a high DPS.

Because it's so much weaker at the low end than the boltor prime is, I feel the soma prime should be stronger when fully modded.  Because quite frankly I feel it's unreasonable to base weapon power levels off of an 8-mod max damage build, since it's takes so many times leveling the weapon up to max.

If a weapon can't perform well against most game content at level 30 with no forma and no catalyst (which the soma can't), in my opinion it's a pretty low powered weapon in its standard form.  Forma blueprints may be plentiful in the void, but catalysts are increasingly rare and hard to find.  So it should really pay to put that catalyst and formas into the weapon, especially when it's a so-called endgame weapon that is extremely weak without them.

So in summary... the top end soma prime should be better than the top end boltor prime because the bottom end soma prime sucks while the bottom end boltor prime is still amazing.

If a weapon can't perform well against most game content at level 30 with no forma and no catalyst (which the soma can't), in my opinion it's a pretty low powered weapon in its standard form.  Forma blueprints may be plentiful in the void, but catalysts are increasingly rare and hard to find.  So it should really pay to put that catalyst and formas into the weapon, especially when it's a so-called endgame weapon that is extremely weak without them.

So your saying to take EVERY weapon and turn it into a Boltor Prime. 

Also you are looking at two separate damage types. OFC puncture will be better then slash end game.

Edited by BirdOfSong

Without a catalyst, most weapons aren't suitable for anything past Neptune.

That being said, soma is one of the few that doesn't need a catalyst to be fair decent.

Two V polarites plus crit based means you're not getting great elemental, but you've got decent normal damage, especially if you haven't gotten split chamber yet

Catalyst is absolutely excellent.

And there are dozens of weapons that are worse without forma/catalyst. I.e. All non-secondaries.

The realization is that, without a catalyst, and without at least four polarity slots... the soma kinda sucks.

It is barely better than the Furis.

/sarcasm

That said, OP, several weapons need a catalyst and much forma before they shine. Most bows, for example. The Opticor. The Amprex. The Synapse. The Phage. Most are decent without catalyst and formas, but they transform when you put work and resources into them.

I suggest living with it. A fully powered Soma Prime is really strong, and it is up to you to decide whether you want it fully powered.

Also, what's the point of comparing it with the Boltor Prime?

Yes, it's another soma prime topic.... but it's a recent realization I've had while levelling up the soma prime.

You really need those fourth, fifth, and sixth polarity slots (4 forma or so) to really make the soma and soma prime perform at a high DPS.

Because it's so much weaker at the low end than the boltor prime is, I feel the soma prime should be stronger when fully modded.  Because quite frankly I feel it's unreasonable to base weapon power levels off of an 8-mod max damage build, since it's takes so many times leveling the weapon up to max.

So in summary... the top end soma prime should be better than the top end boltor prime because the bottom end soma prime sucks while the bottom end boltor prime is still amazing.

Makes no sense to me.

When talking about late game content, I don't expect guns to be any worth without a catalyst. Soma already has two V-polarities. Be grateful for that.

Edited by SIDESTRE4M

That is the whole point of the soma. If you cannot fit in those mods it sucks. It's a crit weapon so it needs space for vital sense and point strike. tl;dr this thread is blasphemy and is taking away the main point of the soma which is crit. Also the soma has 2 v polarities already on it.  

This really hits me as trying to compare two totally different assault rifles. I honestly prefer the Boltor Prime, but that is mostly because of all the time I put into it. The Soma has always been lacking for me. Honestly, I get confused when you can build a weapon for all its different attributes. The Soma Prime is a way of the Dev's to remind us that the most popular weapons in the community will all be recreated as a prime. Also, I hate to admit it, but honestly Catalysts are getting a bit rarer. Reactors have been all that I've seen in recent time. That is probably my fault though XD I've been on less and less recently.

I've got three forma on my SomaP... and three forma on my BoltorP

If anything, they feel pretty even. They both hit around 1.1k per hit on most level 30 enemies.  

Even with that said, I'd still take BoltorP into T4 because of its puncture damage. I see the SomaP more of a everyday-use gun while BoltorP is more of last-resort

I've got three forma on my SomaP... and three forma on my BoltorP

If anything, they feel pretty even. They both hit around 1.1k per hit on most level 30 enemies.  

Even with that said, I'd still take BoltorP into T4 because of its puncture damage. I see the SomaP more of a everyday-use gun while BoltorP is more of last-resort

They are both on par really but with a full team with all corrosive projection auras the soma prime deals more damage. 

I don't agree that any weapon should unconditionally be better than any other weapon, with perhaps some exceptions, in so far as we can actually objectively compare them because that would reduce player choice and convenience.  So, Warframe should have a Weapon Tier Potatoe system so that we can all decided for ourselves what our own arsenals will be; which will be our high conclave rating weapons, which will be our low conclave rating weapons, all sorts of other factors and options, at our individual discretion, and convenience.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/368991-reasonable-balance-for-soma-and-boltor-prime/

You're welcome. Also: Catalysts aren't becoming increasingly rare. 

you know you accused people of not reading your op on your topic and here you do exactly that. that link you gave him is of no relevance to this topic, you link wants both guns nerfed, here it is seemingly solely a buff to the soma. also you still have not in a single post there justified why you want the base soma and soma prime nerfed.

-Totaly read and understood your post, and you're just using this to bump your thread. You're, quite simply, wrong. The soma wrecks everything's S#&$ and makes most other weapons look weak. The soma is incredibly easy to use, easy to mod, and powerful. 

- Not in a single post? Maybe I did it in every post. 

-Totaly read and understood your post, and you're just using this to bump your thread. You're, quite simply, wrong. The soma wrecks everything's S#&$ and makes most other weapons look weak. The soma is incredibly easy to use, easy to mod, and powerful. 

- Not in a single post? Maybe I did it in every post. 

you just proved you didnt, this is not my thread and i am not bumping anything. read again. also like i pointed out this thread has no relevance to yours, yours is a nerf the soma thread this is a buff thread so where is the relevance in linking your thread? if anything you are simply looking for bumps and popularity by spamming its link on an unrelated thread. and lastly you have not answered or justified the soma and soma prime nerfs, like i pointed out you called them minuscule so why even have them in the first place, you claim a soma is easier to mod, a soma requires the same amount of forma and if anything is harder to level on the first few levels as it wont be able to crit often, want to know a gun that is easy to mod? an opticor, out of the box damage is insane and all you need to add is fire rate mods and it goes further into missions than a soma or boltor prime. you did not take into consideration other crit type weapons and the fact that yes the soma has a higher crit multiplier but it has the lowest base damage of all of them. like i pointed out to you in your own thread, if you are spraying into the body of an opponent and that is your example with a soma them you are still using the gun wrong, the soma benefits off the same things as a latron, head shots, and guess what a latron has higher base damage than a soma. also without taking into consideration cp, as we are discussing weapons and not the effect of weapon + aura, a soma has hte worst damage type for its main damage stat compared to other weapons.