Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Rank 17 Test Tangential Feedback, I.e. Lotus' Fail Message. To Me? Or To The Devs?

CedarDpg

Only missed passing my MR17 test by a few enemies. Then to have the Lotus says something insulting like, "Most disappointing, come back when you're up to the challenge."

Most disappointing...hmmm, my performance? Or perhaps she was commenting to the devs that she noticed that the game lost focus *7* times during the run, each instance costing time to:

1) Recognize that the game lost focus,

2) Find and move the mouse cursor back over Warframe from a different monitor, (Did it go on my left-hand monitor? Or the right-hand monitor? And sometimes the mouse cursor snags on Windows 8.1's hot spots, like triggering the sidebar..., )

3) Click back into the Warframe window,

4) Wait until my computer actually gives Warframe focus again,

5) Click again/use keyboard to actually move/shoot/etc.

I would have passed no problem except each of these delays typically cost 2-4 valuable seconds each time. I dunno, is the inability of the game to maintain focus now considered a cool feature, like coptering? Something to introduce some added difficulty to dampen end-game complaints about difficulty by getting us killed in higher level missions while we scramble to return focus to Warframe? I've already made at least one topic about that bug, but I don't even think anyone's even payed it any mind except a few other players commenting about their having the same issues. I don't know how many people have multi-monitor setups, but I imagine it's more than a few.

Anyhow, I'd have no problems with Lotus' message if the game were a bit more flawless and I failed because I failed at actually playing the game...not because I failed at dragging my mouse cursor off my web browser or whatever's on the next screen fast enough.

Can a dev or someone in staff even acknowledge that they're aware of the problem? It's getting really frustrating to have this occur so much. (At least a few times almost every run I do.)

Have you tried running in Borderless instead of Fullscreen? That should atleast make finding and reentering the game quicker.

Yeah, I've run the game in Windowed, Borderless Fullscreen and Fullscreen. Same behavior in all. I run my game in borderless. Depending on what's on each screen, the cursor varies in difficulty to see.

Are you reporting a bug, or just venting frustration?

I've reported the bug in the bug section already. So venting some feedback mixed with a bunch of built up frustration. I guess I'll make a real support.warframe.com ticket, since no-one seems to pay attention to the issue on the forums. :)

For me it at least stays in one place and lets me back in immediately if it is in borderless. Your plight sounds awful.

Yeah, it doesn't stay in one place at all. I can move the mouse the full range of the desktop.

Sounds like this is completely your fault. You know we can only pause the game in solo right?

What does pausing the game have to do with anything? And even if you were suggesting I pause the game when it loses focus...well, the game lost focus, the keyboard inputs go to whatever application now has focus. If I hit the escape key when the focus is on my web browser, it closes a tab or whatever. Not helpful. Other than that, I never mentioned pausing the game anywhere in my posts. 

Sounds like a Windows 8 issue to me.

This occurred in Windows 7 too. Just not with such frequency.

Edited by CedarDpg

I guess I'll make a real support.warframe.com ticket, since no-one seems to pay attention to the issue on the forums. :)

And support will? Paying attention would take way too much time, they're busy and they just want to close your ticket as soon as possible. I don't think I've ever felt like they actually read what I wrote instead of just skimming it.

Edited by Azure.M

I think it's an issue with whatever other apps you have running.

I run in fullscreen, windows 8.1, with a dual monitor setup, and the only time the game loses focus is temporarily when my irc client pops up a connect or disconnect notification from the Taskbar corner. It only flickers focus, and returns as soon as the popup is gone, and the mouse stays in the game area.

You may wish to disable or at least modify your hot corners, too.

And support will? Paying attention would take way too much time, they're busy and they just want to close your ticket as soon as possible. I don't think I've ever felt like they actually read what I wrote instead of just skimming it.

Yeah, for bug reports it really seems like support often skims over stuff. I've usually had decent results with non-bug related issues though. On the forums, it seems like it's very hard to get the attention of someone who can fix the problem. Unless it's a sound issue...DE George is all over those topics. I think every time I've posted an audio error, I've gotten some sort of response from him.

I think it's an issue with whatever other apps you have running.

I run in fullscreen, windows 8.1, with a dual monitor setup, and the only time the game loses focus is temporarily when my irc client pops up a connect or disconnect notification from the Taskbar corner. It only flickers focus, and returns as soon as the popup is gone, and the mouse stays in the game area.

You may wish to disable or at least modify your hot corners, too.

Yeah, I could try running the game without anything else running at all. It doesn't seem to be related to any popups in my case. And there doesn't have to be an actual active window in the other monitors (i.e. both free monitors show the desktop) for this to occur. Anyhow, I've disabled all hot corners. We'll see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Oh yeah, something I remembered...it occurs WAAAAY more frequently if I'm right-clicking to zoom. Though that's not always the case. Sometimes just moving the mouse around and left-clicking can trigger the focus loss.

Oh, also, I can run most other games with the same environment (programs running/etc.) and those don't usually lose focus.

Edited by CedarDpg

This is odd to me. I run two monitors, and the reason I run borderless window (other than the ease of alt tabbing) is when I run in fullscreen, my cursor is completely locked into the game window. Even if that was the case for you, it's not much of a solution, because then you have less freedom with your monitors, and that blows.

I've never had my game lose focus though, I'm on Windows 7, but I think I know your problem because this happens to me a lot in Smite, which I also run in borderless window. I tend to use fast mouse movements when playing FPS/TPS games, and with Smite, my cursor would jump out of the game for a split second if i turn to the right (where my second monitor is) and clicking in that instant causes my web browser to gain focus and my character's death.

I know your pain, so I hope it gets resolved.

This is odd to me. I run two monitors, and the reason I run borderless window (other than the ease of alt tabbing) is when I run in fullscreen, my cursor is completely locked into the game window. Even if that was the case for you, it's not much of a solution, because then you have less freedom with your monitors, and that blows.

I've never had my game lose focus though, I'm on Windows 7, but I think I know your problem because this happens to me a lot in Smite, which I also run in borderless window. I tend to use fast mouse movements when playing FPS/TPS games, and with Smite, my cursor would jump out of the game for a split second if i turn to the right (where my second monitor is) and clicking in that instant causes my web browser to gain focus and my character's death.

I know your pain, so I hope it gets resolved.

Thanks. Don't know if it was a change in the way I was playing, but my mastery exam only lost focus one time today, so I was able to pass that thing with a decent amount of time left on the timer.