Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Don't Hate Me... Oculus Rift

anomaly597

This isn't even a request, just food for thought and discussion fodder while I was thinking about it.

I've done a quick search around the place for mention of Warframe OR support. (Is the Warframe forum auto-correcting Warframe? Or is that my computer?) Looks like the furthest anyone has gotten is a little bit of VorpX action.

From what I've read in the forums here, there's a major misconception about what the OR should be.  The biggest thread kept mentioning how it's meant for first-person and it simply wouldn't work well, or the action is too fast-paced for OR.

Having owned a DK2 since they first started shipping, I can say that these are pretty big assumptions and misconceptions.  You DO NOT have to be playing first-person for the OR to be immersive and fun.  Hell, some of the most polished demos they've shown to the press are straight up platformers or top-down experiences.

And as far as motion sickness goes, I've experienced far more motion sickness from the first-person view than anything else, and even that goes away after a few days of letting your brain catch up.  HL2 was an exercise in patience, chewing on an hour a day or so, until I no longer got sick and it was the most immersive gaming experience I'd ever had, bar none.

The biggest obstacles WF would have to take care of would be the UI, as most everything useful is stuck up in corners that you just plain can't see in the OR.  And instead of 2D overlay, it would have to be stereoscopic. Your WF already fakes this, when he lifts up his hand to view the menus.

Like I said, I don't expect anything to ever come of it, but I'm a big fan of both OR and WF, so allow me to fantasize about them coming together. :)

I would love to see Warframe get OR support. As for the UI, the escape menu and other such menus are actually in the 3D space so they would work great. The main UI and a few other elements would be a problem though (and they are already a serious problem with unconventional resolutions).

Wouldn't work, it's a third person game. simple as that.

You really didn't read the OP at all did you? Third person works great on the OR, simple as that.

Edited by egregiousRac

Wouldn't work, it's a third person game. simple as that.

What part of 

You DO NOT have to be playing first-person for the OR to be immersive and fun.  Hell, some of the most polished demos they've shown to the press are straight up platformers or top-down experiences.

Did you not understand?

Wouldn't it be extremely disorienting with all the fast paced action? Even for a 3rd person game it can get pretty wild...

It's not what you think.  It's a lot like any other monitor, just in 3D and closer to your face.  The field of view means that you mostly focus on the middle of the screen, which works perfectly fine for a game where you're looking at a crosshair.

Motion sickness might sound like an issue, but it's less pronounced when your brain isnt trying to put yourself in the character's shoes, so over the shoulder is just fine.  And even if new users experience motion sickness, you acclimate to it after the first few days.

Might be a little vomit inducing - wouldn't know until trying it. So I guess I'd be willing to try it? Then again I don't really feel opt to purchasing an OR since the only thing I'd be using for would be Warframe, and I can't imagine a lot of other people would either. All in all doesn't really seem like something worth the effort supporting currently - not until at least the OR reaches a much more sophisticated state and using it for a game like Warframe would be really worthwhile.

Edited by DJ_Redwire

It's true, and this is all really just an academic discussion until a legitimate consumer version comes to market.

There are already a set of 'rules' when it comes to creating the best VR experience.  I've watched and read a lot of material on the subject.  There are little things you dont think about.  For instance, it's much easier on the stomach when the movement is NOT realistic.  ie, the short period of speeding up from a stop is more sickening than just going from full stop to full speed.  And any kind of SCALE is immediately apparent.  Like when you walk through a doorway in a FPS, you don't notice how unrealistically out of scale it is until you see it in VR.

So I couldn't tell you how well the experience would directly translate, but I know that there are simple things that can be done to make it a much BETTER experience.

You really didn't read the OP at all did you? Third person works great on the OR, simple as that.

I did read it, and my opinion was as stated.

Here's the specific examples I was referencing:

Lucky's Tale, demoed at E3

There's another one I can't find footage of, Unreal Engine top-down MOBA type demonstration

That being said, I;m not throwing out the idea that anything besides 1st person is bad on it, I find the OR to be a great. (Hell, if OR WF was 1st person I'd be super down for it). But all it takes is a Stug to make you vomit from screenshake. Or a Mirage + Stug. Screenshake is present in Warframe. I just don't see it working. Sorry if I sounded aggressive with my initial short reply.

I did read it, and my opinion was as stated.

That being said, I;m not throwing out the idea that anything besides 1st person is bad on it, I find the OR to be a great. (Hell, if OR WF was 1st person I'd be super down for it). But all it takes is a Stug to make you vomit from screenshake. Or a Mirage + Stug. Screenshake is present in Warframe. I just don't see it working. Sorry if I sounded aggressive with my initial short reply.

In order for OR to work they have to hook up the API anyway, so it wouldn't be hard to disable screen shake for it.

All of these delays for the Occulus Rift are slaying me.

While VR is of course great, I want to explore the possibility of using it as an alternate monitor display as well. Especially as implicit stereoscopic vision should lead to better visuals. Ever try to overlap two mirrored images by crossing your eyes? You can easily experience the illusion of greater image quality and even depth.

Oculus Rift fits for FPS games like Counter Strike and some other games like War Thunder in cabin mode.I doubt it will work well with Warframe since it is an third person game.

Why does everyone think this?  24/7?  All it is, is 3D with a high FOV.  There's nowhere in the rulebook that says it has to be first-person to be immersive.

Why does everyone think this?  24/7?  All it is, is 3D with a high FOV.  There's nowhere in the rulebook that says it has to be first-person to be immersive.

Personally, if I'm going to be "in the world" of a video game, I'd rather be viewing it as a character would, not a floating, invisible camera.  

I just don't see the appeal of using the OR for any perspective other than the first person.

Is the OR still popular? Man I forgot about that thing for about a year now up until this thread.

With that said, yeah I don't think it's a bad idea. You aren't wrong in that third person games can't be immersive, I mean take a look at Silent Hill and Resident Evil. You get so fully enveloped by the atmosphere and it isn't a FPS.

So yeah, OR support would be fun but I don't think it's something that would change the game. It'd be like those accessories you saw for the NES back in the 80s. Just a little accessory.

Is the OR still popular? Man I forgot about that thing for about a year now up until this thread.

With that said, yeah I don't think it's a bad idea. You aren't wrong in that third person games can't be immersive, I mean take a look at Silent Hill and Resident Evil. You get so fully enveloped by the atmosphere and it isn't a FPS.

So yeah, OR support would be fun but I don't think it's something that would change the game. It'd be like those accessories you saw for the NES back in the 80s. Just a little accessory.

Yeah, it is game changing in things like Star Citizen, but it would just be a nice alternative display for WF.