Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Leech Ospreys Too Tanky

SolluxCaptorTA

If I had been told that they were going to be buffing the leech ospreys I would have been perfectly fine with the change.  Hek, if they acknowledge that they buffed them I'll still be fine with it.  I do believe that we have a right, as players, to know how they are going to buff/nerf enemies so that we know what to expect.  Most other online games will announce in the patch notes if they are buffing/nerfing certain enemies.

I would even accept a broad statement like "Re-balancing leech ospreys".  That would have told me something was going to change.  I would prefer if it said what they were re-balancing but I can live without that information.

Agreed. If something like enemies were touched, it needs an announcement. If something like hidden pathways to access loot were added, it doesn't need any since it's meant for people who wander the maps to find them.

Agreed. If something like enemies were touched, it needs an announcement. If something like hidden pathways to access loot were added, it doesn't need any since it's meant for people who wander the maps to find them.

Generally whenever they touch weapons, mobs, mods, sentinals, or tenno they should tell the player base that they are changing something, and preferably tell us what they are changing.   I dont need to know how much they change mobs but I still should know that they at least are.

@Gio21

These things can survive longer then Nef Anyo can.  And when you have a boss that goes down faster than a trash mob then something is up.  Hek, when fusion MOAs go down faster than those things something is wrong.  In the alert last night I was killing everything else in one or two shots except for those things which were taking 3 to 5.

They're not tough. You guys are just weak. =/

Simply upgrade your mods and weapons. I kill everything in one shot. = .=

Seriously?

Supercharged 60-capacity Hek.

Max Point Blank (+90% base damage)

Max Hell's Chamber (+120% pellet count)

Max Flechette (+90% armor piercing damage)

Plus some miscellaneous elemental mods for +75% damage, and firing rate / reload speed / ammo stock to fill out the rest because crowd control and diminishing returns past the one-shot threshold.

Each shot should, on average, do (140 * (1 + 1.2 + 0.9)) * (1 + 0.9 + 0.75) = 1150 damage.

Since part of that was fire damage (thankfully, osprey damage multipliers are pretty simple), I adjusted the expected vs-osprey damage per shot to (140 * (1 + 1.2 + 0.9)) * (1 + 0.9 + 0.45) = 1020 damage.

It took me 3 shots (maybe 2.5, hp-wise) at point-blank range to kill a leech osprey during the f'moa event.

That's 2500~3000 hp, taking into account resistances.

The fusion moas themselves? Went down in 2 well-placed shots, more like 1.5, hp-wise.

Everything else? Went down in a single midrange shot, in spite of the 25~50% damage falloff.

A leech osprey is tougher than any other equal-level Corpus mob.

Should I have added a max electrical damage mod at the expense of other stuff?

Hell, should I have maxed all elemental damage mods at the expense of my beloved non-damage mods?

No, because even that would only have brought the damage (after resistances) to a bit less than 2000, still not enough to one-shot it.

---------------------

tldr;

It is either impossible or infeasible to one-shot leech ospreys, because science.

Leech Ospreys are now officially the most unsatisfying enemy in the game.

A Hyena-type Corpus heavy that could soak up damage like that would have been perfectly good (as long as it isn't over-reliant on knockdowns - just fire machine guns and do a small radius knockdown if players get too close).

But Leech Ospreys? They don't do anything whether you kill them or not. They pose no tactical significance. Whoops, did it actually get a leech on me? Roll!

I only shoot them to spite their existence. Any smart player would walk right past them instead of wasting bullets.

ETA:

we took on dozens of those leech ospreys all at once, with only one team member dying twice. If anything they need to make more stronger mobs like the Fusion Moas.

Comically missing the point.

Leech Ospreys don't damage your health.

They have no direct attacks.

They latch a shield-draining thing onto you every now and then, which you can roll to remove.

I don't think anybody would be complaining if they added an actual heavy unit.

Edited by Caiman

tldr;

It is either impossible or infeasible to one-shot leech ospreys, because science.

Leech Ospreys are now officially the most unsatisfying enemy in the game.

I would have loved to see a Hyena-type Corpus heavy (as long as it isn't over-reliant on knockdowns - just fire machine guns and do a small radius knockdown if players get too close).

But Leech Ospreys? They're as tough as ancients and heavies, but unlike ancients and heavies, they don't do anything whether you kill them or not. Unlike shield ospreys, they pose no tactical significance. Whoops, did it actually get a leech on me? Roll!

I only shoot them to spite their existence.

If you dont notice the leech on you it can become quite dangerous.  I nearly missed a few leeches because they stuck to my chest so I couldn't see them from behind and only rolled when I saw that my shields were dropping instead of recovering during a lull in the fighting.  It is just taking an annoyingly long amount of time to deal with the flocks of leech osprey that seem to be more common now.

If I had been told that they were going to be buffing the leech ospreys I would have been perfectly fine with the change.  Hek, if they acknowledge that they buffed them I'll still be fine with it.  I do believe that we have a right, as players, to know how they are going to buff/nerf enemies so that we know what to expect.  Most other online games will announce in the patch notes if they are buffing/nerfing certain enemies.

I would even accept a broad statement like "Re-balancing leech ospreys".  That would have told me something was going to change.  I would prefer if it said what they were re-balancing but I can live without that information.

Exactly, I actually think that game would benefit very well with a sort of hard core mod for high rank players, at least until they create a proper end game content.

Defense missions do fill that void partially but still I remember first couple of matches after update 7 when me and a couple of xini buddies went 75/75 into Pluto to get some potato just for the lulz. It was probably the most fun we had in weeks because we had to really pay attention as 1-2 shots from the mob meant death.

It can be all fine and good DE, just give us the heads up, as it is cheap way of showing you respect your community.

This. Is. BETA!

Expect the unexpected and be thankful for the challenge this opportunity presents. :)

The statistical data before and after "nerf/buff" will help DE in properly balancing them in the future.

Edited by ShadowTail

@ShadowTail
Just because its beta doesnt mean that they shouldn't tell us that they are re-balancing something.

We aren't asking for hard numbers.  We just want them to say "Hey, we're going to be re-balancing X mob" so that we can at least expect some changes.

I have maxed out akboltos for damage and clipsize, including quite high electrical damage and 100% multishot.  They still take 3 or more shots to kill with that.  My boltor takes quite a few more.  Its not upgrading my weapons its that they made the leech ospreys incredibly tankish lately.

EDIT: Do note that those leech ospreys weren't that high leveled.  Even the fusion moas in the maps went down faster then those things.  If fusion moas and pretty much everything else is going down faster than a leech osprey then they need to look into things IMO.

I wouldn't be able to tell the difference since I'm using the Hek...=/

Maybe they are stronger......or maybe I'm just too strong.......Hehehehehehee.......

I wouldn't be able to tell the difference since I'm using the Hek...=/

Maybe they are stronger......or maybe I'm just too strong.......Hehehehehehee.......

I've seen some of the leech osprey take 2 or 3 direct hits from a hek at point blank range, my friend was actually jumping up so they were inside the fall off range meaning full damage.  That thing was one shotting every other enemy in the level, so why should leech osprey be so drastically different in terms of health/armor?

Now all of a sudden I have a feeling it is a raging extra zero error that some trolling dev did on purpose just to stir things up.

Smells like semi-naked DE_Steve's doing. Probably just tried to slow things up a notch during the weekend extermination event and then forgot to remove the 0.

I've seen some of the leech osprey take 2 or 3 direct hits from a hek at point blank range, my friend was actually jumping up so they were inside the fall off range meaning full damage.  That thing was one shotting every other enemy in the level, so why should leech osprey be so drastically different in terms of health/armor?

I had no problem killing them in 1 shot on Pluto with my Hek. I think your friend's Hek is broken. =/

Plus the larger size makes them so much easier to hit lol.

Edited by Zarozian

@Zarozian
Its not about making things easier, plus there are a lot of ways to make the game harder without making everything a bullet sponge.

Apparently it was a bug, but when they suddenly make an enemy a bullet sponge they should at least warn the players, not just leave it in as a surprise.  Plus if they are going to buff enemies why only buff one to be much stronger than anything else in the maps that it appears in?