Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Honest Plea (That Wont Change Anything) About The New Scythe Weapon

TraumaHunter

Sad panda time. It thought DE would do some even cursory research in the use of scythes as weapons in war. Even a quick run by Wikipedia brings up what a war scythe should look like.

402px-Kosy_i_piki.jpg

Yes its cool to pull off stuff like Monty Oum does in the Red RWBY trailer, but its not actually the most practical of weapons unless you straighten the blade. And even in the Red Trailer there are a few cheats where the blade actually does get angled a bit (~3:05) to allow for a more vertical slicing cut.

RBRWBY-WarScythe_zps5e600c53.jpg

Edited by Brasten

Sad panda time. It thought DE would do some even cursory research in the use of scythes as weapons in war. Even a quick run by Wikipedia brings up what a war scythe should look like.

snip

Yes its cool to pull off stuff like Monty Oum does in the Red RWBY trailer, but its not actually the most practical of weapons unless you straighten the blade. And even in the Red Trailer there are a few cheats where the blade actually does get angled a bit (~3:05) to allow for a more vertical slicing cut.

snip

This isn't a scythe, as such. it's a sickle, or kama. Mostly kama.

He didn't say anything about Frost. He's talking about the "Scythe".

And, OP, I agree. I want a Scythe, not a disproportional sickle that handles the exact same way as something we already have.

How do you know that the new weapon is even a Scythe?  I mean it could indeed be a sickle which would explain its size.

I was hoping at the very least if I can't have a new scythe weapon that it would at least be a scindo prime vs a zoren prime.  It is not a scythe if it is the size of my forearm.

It becomes a wonky sickle at that size.

I realize that whatever design is in the works is probably too close to release to suddenly add new animations etc.  It's probably too late to change anything at this point.  Also DON'T GET ME WRONG - I AM thankful for any new weapons I see at all.  It all looks very cool.

Just don't try to sell me a zoren prime as a "scythe" weapon and then expect it to satisfy my STRONG desire for an ACTUAL scythe weapon.  Scythes can't be wielded like axes can.  You don't CHOP someone with a scythe.  You reap them.  The blade isn't on the top rounded part, nor is it a weapon you stab/hack with.  

It's such an iconic weapon in culture.  It's even associated with "Death" itself in the image of the grim reaper.

While I support whatever decision you come to us with.  Don't act like you are surprised when there is outcry asking for a REAL scythe.

All this.

This isn't a scythe, as such. it's a sickle, or kama. Mostly kama.

I kinda hope its actually kama sized, as that gives DE another chance to actually do a polearm weapon correctly. This is kind of equivalent to saying you're going to hand someone a cricket bat and instead hand them ping-pong paddle. Sure both have flat surfaces and are made of wood but it doesn't really match.

it's a sickle, or kama. Mostly kama.

Same thing.

How do you know that the new weapon is even a Scythe?  I mean it could indeed be a sickle which would explain its size.

DE explicitly talked about a Scythe, an all new weapon, in their last live stream.

On both and more of these posts::

-------------------------------------------

Those "sickles" are Kusarigama, martial art weapons. Ninjas used those, so whats wrong with them ?

Id like to see them in action, a fast, shortrange weapon. Why not ?

This game got already far too many "un-ninja-ish" weapons for my taste.

Un-ninja-ish weapons? You do know that real ninja used a wide variety of weaponry, right? They'd use whatever they could get their hands on, depending on the task, which includes explosives and firearms.

As you can see in those images, Kusarigama have weighted chains at the end of the shaft. We're not talking about those and neither was DE.

Those "ninja-ish" weapons actually came from Farmers using them as tools for their land, and as weapons if needed in an instant. It then grew into a martial discipline.  this was the case for many modern era martial weapons.  Ninjustu was born out of necessity from fuedal area lords and factions raiding villages and lands.  They then formed clans and the such, etc etc...

And on the OP::

-------------------

This is clearly a Frame holding a Pistol and a 1-handed weapon, more akin to a hatchet or the above forementioned ideas.  Not hating anything here, just stating the obvious for clarity. I, in fact, love the look and hope its either of those, because who doesnt want to dual a pistol and a Blade of any kind together(NOT that that is whats gonna happen heh).

Those "ninja-ish" weapons actually came from Farmers using them as tools for their land, and as weapons if needed in an instant. It then grew into a martial discipline.  this was the case for many modern era martial weapons.  Ninjustu was born out of necessity from fuedal area lords and factions raiding villages and lands.  They then formed clans and the such, etc etc...

Oh yeah, I'm totally aware of that, I've brought it up before, but that was a while back. I just didn't see it as worth mentioning in the current topic.

You know, the handle of that 'Scythe' is tiny. In fact, it is far too short to be a Scythe. That is what you'd call a 'Sickle'

A few gentlemen pointed out to me earlier - Excalibur Prime came with the Secondary and the Melee weapon that are 'his' as a Prime.

In Excal's case it is the Lato and the Skana.

So the question is, which Secondary and Melee are attributed to Frost? 

You know, the handle of that 'Scythe' is tiny. In fact, it is far too short to be a Scythe. That is what you'd call a 'Sickle'

A few gentlemen pointed out to me earlier - Excalibur Prime came with the Secondary and the Melee weapon that are 'his' as a Prime.

Dual zoren is shipped with Frost, so I am guessing that is Frost's signature melee.

Not sure about secondary though. And the gun in the image looks really, really like a boltor for me.

Dual zoren is shipped with Frost, so I am guessing that is Frost's signature melee.

Not sure about secondary though. And the gun in the image looks really, really like a boltor for me.

So perhaps that is the appearance of Zoren Prime.

If it is dual zoren prime, it'd be reminiscent of Darksiders 2. Two short scythes to roll with, that'd be lovely but I would really hope it'd be a single heavy scythe. Either way, new weapons to play with!

The Frost bundle in the market has Dual Zorens, AkLatos, and the Latron.

I'm actually starting to think that isn't a pistol, but a Latron Prime...

Edit: It could also be a Boltor Prime, since I kinda see a few similarities to the Boltor.

Edit 2: Scratch that, I'm pretty sure it's a Bolto/AkBolto Prime. The Bolto has 2 flowing prong-y things on its side, just like the gun in the pic.

Edited by Braken

Why is it a farmer's scythe instead of a war scythe. Are we going to do some ninja farming for cyber wheat, then go space milling for neuro bread?

Tenno gotta eat, brah.

New mission type in Update 8, Grocery Shopping!

Why is it a farmer's scythe instead of a war scythe. Are we going to do some ninja farming for cyber wheat, then go space milling for neuro bread?

Because the first ninja were oppressed farmers without protection?

Forget the glaive, go back to your true roots fellow Tenno, be the oppressed peasant. 

Edited by JerryMouse13

Because the first ninja were oppressed farmers without protection?

Forget the glaive, go back to your true roots fellow Tenno, be the oppressed peasant. 

yes and yes

It's the Devs making a joke aboot Warfarm. Because you know, I heard you were into farming.

Edited by Cestus