Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do You Guys Face The Horror Genre @-@?

izzatuw

I recently watched a few clips of Fatal Frame and I don't think I'm a be sleeping tonight @-@. I don't even know how people can actually stand watching a horror movie (particularly supernatural like ghosts) and not be scarred but I get scarred for days that can extend to weeks to months. I'm always feelin creeped out to watch it but curiosity gets me like a female dog. So how do you guys actually stand this stuff and get over it?

P.s

I need cute kitty therapy

I sit and use a meditation technique taught to me by a traveling monk.

It consists of me yelling NOPE, then turning off my computer, then unplugging it, and finally by throwing it out a window. 

It works.

I sit and use a meditation technique taught to me by a traveling monk.

It consists of me yelling NOPE, then turning off my computer, then unplugging it, and finally by throwing it out a window. 

It works.

Any other trick that doesn't consist of too much money?

Any other trick that doesn't consist of too much money?

When something manages to jump-scare me, I simply go and listen to music I like until the fear and ensuing chills fade away. 

Then I foolishly continue looking at what scared me in the first place, be it a manga, video game or movie.

Tbh, I've gotten to handle it by experiencing fear many times, with one of my buddies we used to got to the cinema a lot and he loved scary movies. To this day Paranormal Activity is the greatest horror trilogy for me. The first one i watched i still remember clearly, i was like...14 when i was at my best friend with my parents and they were watching The Ring and instead of playing we got stuck in front of the TV out of curiosity. That was the only time i couldn't sleep properly for 3 days. Also, it will dampen as you get older and its easier to control your emotions.

Horror genre used to scare the S#&$ out of me. Recently, I watched the The Conjuring (because everyone was like "its zo scarry zomg"), and yeah it was creepy. Good execution, blah blah. Then it got to the witch-ghost on top of the wardrobe scene and on the zoom-in of her face, I saw she had the "Here's Johnny!" look.

I could not stop laughing. What was supposed to be the scariest moment of the movie became the funniest. I watched it over and over again. Still funny.

After that, I went on a horror-splurge. Horror movies are garbage now, I realize. Unless they're sweet gore-fests like Evil Dead, I see horror movies just like everyone else who rolls their eyes at the genre: low-budget attempts to rake in a huge amount of cash in the box office, which use the same tricks over and over and over again. 

But none of that applies to Lovecraftian horror. That stuff I always thought was just plain cool.

Edited by Vanadium

Jump scares still get me at times, but for the supernatural stuff, being an atheist really helps enjoying the movie for what it is, and not carry any of it to the real world.

I suggest READING horror stories more often. No movie can beat our own imagination when it comes to what scares us.

I never play horror games or watch horror films. I watch YouTubers play horror games, although if it's a jumpscare-y game (it's usually not hard to tell) I'll look in the comments for someone kind enough to make a list of times. If it's a jumpscare-y game without a jumpscare list, I just turn my volume to 'audible but not really' and watch. If it's not got jumpscares, I just watch with half-volume.

Jump scares still get me at times, but for the supernatural stuff, being an atheist really helps enjoying the movie for what it is, and not carry any of it to the real world.

I suggest READING horror stories more often. No movie can beat our own imagination when it comes to what scares us.

I read Creepypasta, they intrigue me but never truly scare me. Visuals usually get the job done for me

I recently watched a few clips of Fatal Frame and I don't think I'm a be sleeping tonight @-@. I don't even know how people can actually stand watching a horror movie (particularly supernatural like ghosts) and not be scarred but I get scarred for days that can extend to weeks to months. I'm always feelin creeped out to watch it but curiosity gets me like a female dog. So how do you guys actually stand this stuff and get over it?

P.s

I don't. I play the game for like 10 minutes at a time then wait 2 months before trying it again. I hate horror games basically. They're 2spooky4me

I don't. I play the game for like 10 minutes at a time then wait 2 months before trying it again. I hate horror games basically. They're 2spooky4me

^

Edit: I don't dare touch ghost related games. Games where I have to run for my life the majority of the time, I'll hardly survive 10 minutes and games like the first Dead Space... I don't even know what I'm doing.

Edited by izzatuw

P.s

At the time some games can be pretty intense.

But then you think back to it and you're all "man that wasn't scary at all"

Or sometimes you go on the internet and say "nothing scares me"

By not watching it? Not everyone needs to like horror (but I do like creepy art).

Curiosity killed the cat... Curiosity killed the izzatuw...

I try to avoid it but when I see an article about some horror games I can't stop myself from watching em. Games/movies that focus primarily on insane people, psychos what not don't really get me though

Scrubs-JD-pours-Kittens-on-Patient.gif

I hope this will help... for now....

about the Horror thing:

I personally don't have problems with horror/"spooky" films (I really like the first Alien Movie^^) ... I think that's because I can always think "It's just another movie....annnnd now the next scene will start. Probably another horror-cliche in the next minute... there it is... okay...." 

Horror Movies are really funny at the moment for me... and not really scary... I always have to laugh xD

I always have to think about CinemaSins somehow.... they made a good/funny video about "how to fix the Horror Movie" ... it shows some interesting points^^

some advice that may help you:

warning: only basic stuff, nothing fancy... sry^^

- Don't watch it alone (more people are always good) 

- Don't watch it in complete darkness

- Get some information about the actor that plays the main character. A lot of times he/she played in other non-horror-movies.

This will remind you that the Horror is still only in one Movie and not real.

Oh..and about games: mhh...I don't play that kinda stuff... maybe pause the game if you are scared so you can take a few seconds to concentrate again? ...mhh....idk...sry^^

BUH! \(o.O)/ 

okay....that wasn't scary :3

Edited by Fabpsi

I love a good horror movie.

I think that's by breeding more than anything else, though...

As a kid, my mom was a huge Stephen King and horror movie fan. I came to love it by osmosis.

I've only seen one horror move to date that ever really messed with me and it was the original, 'The Howling'.

Seen at a drive-in theater (drive-ins back then were typically set back behind trees), on a full moon, as a youngster.

Messed me up...

Since then, very little has even come close...

The closest was probably Seven, but that's purely because I know crazy exists.

That said, I haven't seen a Horror game that managed to be truly creepy since the first Silent Hill.

I read Creepypasta, they intrigue me but never truly scare me. Visuals usually get the job done for me

Nah, go for the gold. Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King, etc. Creepypastas can be "scary" sometimes, but personally I find them mostly silly.Now read The Exorcist, and that is absolutely terrifying. And that is an atheist telling you that. The film is very good, but the book is just terrifying.

But also as it was mentioned, maybe the genre is not for you, simple as that. Unless you enjoy being scared that is.