The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Despair All That Special?

(PSN)IkariWarrior83

Question

I ran a mission last night, Stalker popped out, and I ended him and he dropped Despair. I started building it in my foundry, and then I looked up its stats in the Codex. The 40 puncture damage is impressive, but it has abysmal crit and proc chances. Does it have anything special to set it apart from other throwing knives? For example, I know Dread has RIDICULOUS punch-through. Does Despair feature anything similar, or something else unique?

Considering the Stalker Pack goes for 800p in the market place, I figure Dread, Despair, and Hate are all great in their own way, but statistically, Despair doesn't look very impressive.

When giving your input, please let me know how Despair is on its own. I already have the Synoid Gammacor and I know it's ZOMGMAXDPS. I just wanna know if this is a weapon worth putting a catalyst in, or if I should level it to 30 for the mastery points and dump it.

Thanks!

Edited by (PS4)IkariWarrior83

I love my despair. I got 3 forma on them right now and when they're at 30 again I'll probably put a fourth one on there.

They wreck any enemy on the starchart or in the voids, and all that while being silent.

Like others said you might want to increase their firerate though, but because all sidearms need lethal torrent anyway that puts it up to a comfortable fire rate already.

I modded mine for raw damage (three 90% elementals) and I also put bore (120% puncture) and seeker on there.

Despair is my go to weapon for spy 2.0 missions. With the punch trough and the decent fire rate I can take out a whole squad of enemies before any of them can raise the alarm.

It's rare and looks awesome. That'd be all.

Out of these 3, only Dread is a very strong weapon, Despair is a good sidearm, but Hate is rather weak.

I don't own it yet (omg why :<), but since Despair is pretty much the same as Hikou and Kunai -> good DPS at short range, terrible performance above 20-30m, bad ammo economy. Nothing special, but it's a good weapon.

I haven't used thrown weapons in a while, but I think they do have ragdoll on kill and are able to bypass some types of shield. They are basically the Prime equivalent of Kunai, so if you really liked Kunai for some reason, go ahead and build it up.

Edited by Moasiac

Well I'm not the best to judge since I haven't used it after the it got hit in the teeth by the Nerf Bat during the switch from Damage 1.0 to 2.0

I hear it's still somewhat decent, unlike the Acrid, so I'd say yes for the Catalyst if you have one to spare.

Edited by Haukai

You must not be good at modding then. My Despair kill T4 Gunners and Bombards easily.

That doesn't make it top tier though. There are plenty of weapons that will do better damage and killing the enemies faster.

You must not be good at modding then. My Despair kill T4 Gunners and Bombards easily.

^ Agree. Despair are friggen awesome. No, they aren't the synoid gammacore, but nothing in this game is as far as side arms go. Synoid is my #1, despair are my #2. 

Despair is a great weapon and up to the release of the Synoid Gammacor it was my choice of secondary for most of my warframes. Specially when going all silent with Loki. I have 3 formas put into it and it is very capable. It got even better with the Mutalist operation mod set so be sure to add Bore if you have it.

That doesn't make it top tier though. There are plenty of weapons that will do better damage and killing the enemies faster.

Not top tier? I guess you didn't see it the first time, so allow me to say it again. They. Easily. Kill. T4. Heavy. Gunners. And. Bombards.

Seriously, what do you want them to do? Fire missiles? They can handle T4/Nightmare missions, that makes them top tier to me.

It's not just their killing power that makes them top tier, either. They are silent, reload very fast, technically have infinite range if you can adapt to the small arc, they can kill multiple enemies through corpses, have fairly fast travel time, etc. 

If by "plenty of other weapons", you mean the Synoid Gammacor, then of course it'll lose. That weapon is brokenly powerful against everything on the most ridiculous of levels.

Edited by Tymerc

Fire rate and reload speed is what makes Despair top tier weapon.

Not top tier? I guess you didn't see it the first time, so allow me to say it again. They. Easily. Kill. T4. Heavy. Gunners. And. Bombards.

Seriously, what do you want them to do? Fire missiles? They can handle T4/Nightmare missions, that makes them top tier to me.

It's not just their killing power that makes them top tier, either. They are silent, reload very fast, technically have infinite range if you can adapt to the small arc, they can kill multiple enemies through corpses, have fairly fast travel time, etc. 

If by "plenty of other weapons", you mean the Synoid Gammacor, then of course it'll lose. That weapon is brokenly powerful against everything on the most ridiculous of levels.

The point is, it doesn't deal even half the dps of the best weapons, thus it is not top tier. You have to use more time to kill than with better weapons.

It's a great silent side arm that's cable of dishing out a lot of damage (not as much as the synoid gammacor though). It's fire rate is a little low so you may want to put gunslinger on but overall it is a great weapon and easily makes it into my top 5 favourite secondary weapons. 

Despair is pretty damned good. Definitely worth the potato and a few forma, if you want a silent secondary.

I prefer the Hikou Prime overall, but they're pretty close in capability.

I wouldn't get too hung up over paper dps. It's useful for rough comparisons, but in actual use these are very capable weapons and surprisingly flexible across both mission and enemy types.

Also, animations. Idle animations on Mag, Valkyr, and Banshee are worth the price of admission all on their own.

It can become special if you put some effort in it (so then ironically it's not that special). It is however a secondary I usually end up using over things like brakk/marelok because it doesn't have a lot of limitations. It is very versatile because of what has already been said (it's fire rate, quick reload and long range).

Thank you all for your input!  PAX, thank you for your response.  Modding for damage is a habit I've gotten myself out of, but I'll be sure to give the weapon its time of day.

<snip>

I wouldn't get too hung up over paper dps. It's useful for rough comparisons, but in actual use these are very capable weapons and surprisingly flexible across both mission and enemy types.

Also, animations. Idle animations on Mag, Valkyr, and Banshee are worth the price of admission all on their own.

The paper DPS is the exact reason I started this thread :)  I knew my fellow Tenno who have used Despair would be able to set me straight.  While Dread has ridiculous Crit and Proc %, nothing in the weapon's description indicates that it has infinity punch-through (I exaggerate, but you know what I mean, lol).  I was hoping Despair would have something similar -- some feature of which I'm not aware.  This does not seem to be the case.

I've had seeker for a while, but I haven't put it on anything, so I'll be sure to make sure Despair gets some love.  Now if only De would give me another Catalyst alert...lol

The point is, it doesn't deal even half the dps of the best weapons, thus it is not top tier. You have to use more time to kill than with better weapons.

Best DPS is not the only trait needed for top tier. Your obviously a damage only person, but these have multiple benefits and as mentioned, kill in T4 with ease. There is very little kill time difference that has very little effect on time to kill. So if it takes .5 sec to kill with either weapon, except the gammacore does x3 the damage, it really doesn't matter because it's still not killing any quicker. The fact that they are silent, reload quickly and have innate punch though which is a free mod spot, kills quickly on T4 most definitely makes them top tier.

Thank you all for your input!  PAX, thank you for your response.  Modding for damage is a habit I've gotten myself out of, but I'll be sure to give the weapon its time of day.

The paper DPS is the exact reason I started this thread :)  I knew my fellow Tenno who have used Despair would be able to set me straight.  While Dread has ridiculous Crit and Proc %, nothing in the weapon's description indicates that it has infinity punch-through (I exaggerate, but you know what I mean, lol).  I was hoping Despair would have something similar -- some feature of which I'm not aware.  This does not seem to be the case.

I've had seeker for a while, but I haven't put it on anything, so I'll be sure to make sure Despair gets some love.  Now if only De would give me another Catalyst alert...lol

They do have infinity Punch Through, just like a bow. This alone makes them awesome sauce because the majority of the game is fighting groups of enemies, and punch through infinity just doubled, tripled, x10 damage based on how deep the group goes. And there is no range limit on these.

i use hikou p and i love them. from what i know, the despair hit harder but have less attack speed, but lethal torrent should fix that

however hikou p has 15% status while despair has a whopping 2.5%, which is pretty terrible for higher level enemies. with hikou p's innate 15%, that can spike to above 40% with the multishot mods and some status mods

in short, despair are much more ammo efficient with more dmg per shot, but slower fire rate and minimal status

hikou p burn through ammo really fast, but have crazy high burst dmg (high rate of fire) and a much higher status chance. they also have a bigger magazine to support their lower flat damage

Edited by J1ffyLub3

Best DPS is not the only trait needed for top tier. Your obviously a damage only person, but these have multiple benefits and as mentioned, kill in T4 with ease. There is very little kill time difference that has very little effect on time to kill. So if it takes .5 sec to kill with either weapon, except the gammacore does x3 the damage, it really doesn't matter because it's still not killing any quicker. The fact that they are silent, reload quickly and have innate punch though which is a free mod spot, kills quickly on T4 most definitely makes them top tier.

They do have infinity Punch Through, just like a bow. This alone makes them awesome sauce because the majority of the game is fighting groups of enemies, and punch through infinity just doubled, tripled, x10 damage based on how deep the group goes. And there is no range limit on these.

Wait, they have punch through too?  Why did no one mention this previously? lol.  Why put seeker on them if they already have innate punchthrough like Dread?