Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Noticed A Disturbing Trend... (Off Topic)

Renegade343

So, most people would know that if one is sick, one should wear a mask to: 

A: Reduce/Prevent spraying infected bodily fluids to other people and making them sick by covering up the nose and mouth. 

B: Reduce/Prevent cross-infection from other sick people by covering up the two main methods of entry for viruses/bacteria to enter. 

Sounds reasonable and logical, right? However, I noticed that in the place I live in, there are more and more sick people (or people visiting patients in hospitals) who wear a mask, but wear it in such a way that they do not cover their noses with the mask. And they go into hospitals and clinics doing that. 

Now, I understand that wearing a mask does make it quite difficult to breathe, and can fog up glasses, as well as making the breath rush up to one's eyes, making it irritating, but those are all small prices to pay in exchange for reducing/preventing the spread of viruses/bacteria (through covering up the nose, which can expel mucus/droplets out through sneezing and sniffing), as well as reducing/preventing cross-infection (from other sick people's viruses/bacteria going into the nose and starting more complications). 

Why did I make this thread in the first place, one may ask? Well, it is about basic protection against diseases and sicknesses, and people seem to be forgetting that a mask is supposed to be worn such that it protects their mouth and nose, thereby reducing (and sometimes preventing) the risk of infection. 

Anyways, is this trend prevalent in other countries?

Why wear a mask and not also goggles? Can't airborne whatevers land on your moist eyeballs and infect you that way?

Anyway, I suck in other people's disgusting germs all the time and I never get sick, masks are for pansies lol.

Edited by DarkTails

The other problem is that most of the masks people wear in such situations are not actually able to do much of anything. They are more of a placebo than anything.

At the very least, I would not be getting a face full of liquids when someone sneezes. The mask would absorb some of that, and as for the others, a tissue wipe would do. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK the custom of wearing a mask doesn't exist much if at all in western countries.

It is the norm to go around without a mask when sick / visiting the hospital where I live and if you will walk down the street with a mask you will probably either be considered weird or that something is terribly wrong with your health (even though you just have a cold).

I don't get sick very often so I don't have to worry about this stuff. I usually only get sick once every few years, but when I do get sick I puke once and immediately I'm back to being fine. Anyone who lives with me always catches whatever I had and they end up being sick for quite some time. Because of this resilience I don't bother with masks and don't mind people coughing and sneezing near me (if they sneeze or cough on me they're getting hit).

Edit: @Blightshadow: You're correct. Wearing a mask when sick is primarly an eastern thing. In the US the only time I see people wearing masks is when they're doing woodwork (like sanding) and don't want to breathe in sawdust. 

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

In general, the human immune systems WORKS BETTER if you get sick. By preventing yourself from catching weaker sickness's, you may end up being worse off when one of those weaker one does get to you.

In hospitals its a different story. Alot of people there could be recovering from surgery or on certains antibiotics that lower there immune systems ability to fight. It should be common practice to wear it inside a hospital.

However living daily life behind a mask will ironically end up putting you there one way or another.

Also, the stronger your immune system becomes, the less you'll show indication of illness's and the less youll feel the effects of them.

Your body still get infected, but it fights it off alot easier.

Alot about the immune system can be found on wikipedia or various medical forums.

Also there are some sickness's that the immune system simply cannot handle. This requires a hospital, and obviously avoid contact with the infected.

hehe, last part sounds like zombies.

I think I might have made my point not clear from seeing the replies, so here it is:

If you are going to wear a mask with the intention of reducing the chances of/preventing infection, wear it properly. Do not go "I will wear a mask to give myself some protection, but I will not wear it properly to make myself comfortable.". 

People in Hong Kong wear their masks almost religiously when they are sick. In my old high school there, if you were sick, you could still be sent back to class with a face mask. As far as I know, everyone there wears them properly.

In Canada though, it's a different story. No face masks here except for the professions that demand it.