Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rip Blekko

Llyssa

Bing. With Bing, you gain points as you search for junk and you can trade in those points for amazon giftcards. I do it all the time and have used at least $40 on amazon with free bing cards.

I just collect points until I realize I need to get something from amazon (like a birthday gift or something) then give it a fat discount because of bing.

Edit: Also, you can actually disable search providers' programs to keep them from rummaging through your searches for goodies. I forget how to do it, but I did it a good while ago.

Edited by Joenorthrup

i know, i know, Google isn't quite the 'perfect jewel' of a company the world normally pedastals them as.

but they're cool most of the time. they do some bone headed things like anyone else (like how they manage Youtube), but i can't specifically fault Google for being human.

Google isn't a perfect answer, but christ, there are so many tools and Power User options that they have for all of their 'gadgets'.

Google is a ridiculously powerful Search Engine, and there's so many contextual tools and so much URL data that can be used to bend and fine tune what Google has available into a spear of light in your own hands.

not a storybook happily ever after type of situation, but... is overall an effective resource for an uncompromising Power User like myself.

(besides, you can avoid just about all of the data collection that Google does, whether by provided options, or removal of the data collection aspects themselves. i run a chopped down Distro of Chromium as a Browser. yes, it originates from Google. but this Distro doesn't phone home and none of that other nonsense).

So, Blekko has been bought by IBM and is now GONE.

What's a decent alternative search engine?

In advance: No, multi-billion dollar companies that are effectively spyware do NOT constitute "decent alternative".

Funny, I wasn't aware the Google search engine was basically spyware.

Are you also using Ubuntu to add to your hipster cred?

Funny, I wasn't aware the Google search engine was basically spyware.

Are you also using Ubuntu to add to your hipster cred?

The ignorance is strong with this post. If you don't believe google uses spyware maybe you should read the chrome browser end user license. Particularly the part where you have to give google permission to "collect, store, and use personal data collected by this program"

The ignorance is strong with this post. If you don't believe google uses spyware maybe you should read the chrome browser end user license. Particularly the part where you have to give google permission to "collect, store, and use personal data collected by this program"

Who said anything about using Chrome?