Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Chroma Underpowered In Pvp

Lord_Noctus

Highest armor value, Cold dot that slows enemies, Final that can be cast with little power, He's strong

By the time you're able to use that cold proc either the enemy has shoved lead down your throat or coptered right in your face.

His four also needs 50 energy to be out for just one second, whip it out with 30 energy and you take him right back in.

Edited by Public_Stalker

Yes and No. With toxin and Afterburn aug mod on, his first can one shot enemies if timed right. and Ward is so so. He quite good if you run melee Bo Prime, but thats if you want to be annoying. I personally find him out matched by other frames, mainly due to the spammable offensive abilities. 

Yes and No. With toxin and Afterburn aug mod on, his first can one shot enemies if timed right. and Ward is so so. He quite good if you run melee Bo Prime, but thats if you want to be annoying. I personally find him out matched by other frames, mainly due to the spammable offensive abilities. 

what i dont know is if his ice ward actually reflects bullets with increased damage, if that was true then chroma would be a master at long range, also his electric ward, i have no idea if it hits attackers as descripted, at least i have never got a kill from reflected damage nor lighting volts

Annoying thing about Spectral Scream is that the damage isn't continuous and seems to be delivered in portions. This often results with Chroma getting killed alongside his target, while he is waiting for the fatal damage to register. If it removed health bar in one fluid motion like Grakata (instead of taking out chunks like Ignis), Chroma would win close ranged fights much more consistently.

Afterburn augment is fun, turning chroma's little flamethrower into a rocket launcher. With maximum charge it will probably one shot even Rhinos, but it's slow, expensive, risky and requires good aim. Not something you can rely on in a pinch.

EDIT: Another thing that rustles my jimmies is the situation where Chroma runs out of energy while charging Spectral Scream and the Afterburn missile won't come out. I don't know if this was intentional or an oversight, but looking at both crosshair and energy bar at the same time shouldn't be required.

Spectral Scream is too dependent on it's augment. At least 90% of my kills with it come from Afterburn missiles, but perhaps that's just my playstyle. 

I think Vex armor might be broken, as it only seems to last 4 seconds at max rank. By the time chroma finishes casting it, half of it is already depleted. Definitely not 75 energy tier ability.

Edited by oinkah

The more I play with Chroma, the more I get the feeling that he is left hanging in the air until Elements 2.0 get shipped. His abilities rely on high status chance, rather than raw damage. But current elements are not balanced. Electricity has no effect and I never managed to trigger toxic proc.

Elemental Ward is neutered, as it doesn't provide extra health/shields/stamina/armor like it does in PvE. In ice or electric mode, damage is supposed to be reflected back at enemies, but I can’t make it reflect any tangible amount. I know I killed one melee guy with electric aura, but I’m having trouble replicating that. No luck with cold ward either. I’ve been standing still, soaking damage and enemies were completely unharmed.

Fire and Toxic auras are supposed to deal constant damage in an area. Maybe I’m not using them right, but they do no damage at all.

Maybe it has to do with lag, but at the moment wards seem to be complete waste of energy.

Spectral Scream has some elemental bias. Ice scream deals most damage (75) and has nifty slowdown effect. Electric scream has almost as much damage (70) and that damage seems to be delivered more reliably through lightnings. Fire scream deals less damage (55) and I’m guessing remaining damage is supposed to come from fire proc. However, usually Chroma ends up dead, because burst damage is always superior. Toxic scream damages health directly, but it delivers very little damage (6), so good luck killing anyone with it.

So from my experience:  Electricity has most reliable damage. Cold has some CC. Toxin is only good for Afterburn spamming. Fire Chroma has no redeeming qualities.

Vex armor is nearly unusable.

Effigy is a gimmick. It doesn’t do much damage for an ult, it’s stationary, it makes Chroma vulnerable, it can’t be casted in mid air and forces Chroma to stop when it’s released or returned. With 100 energy it lasts barely 5 seconds.  Speed increase is laughable when compared to coptering. So yeah, not exactly PvP material.

Doesn't look too good overall.

Edited by oinkah

Highest armor value, Cold dot that slows enemies, Final that can be cast with little power, He's strong

This, he is a good all around frame apart from his ulti, but due to his abilities gaming a lot of short comings he requires a different approach.

Volt and others are more spamming frames which creates the feeling of underpowered.

With the changes to invul on rhino and still the lack of mobility of frost and his snow globe, chroma sits evenly. However many underestimate the use of his 2,3 if used correctly. As some have said, he can easily 1v4 avoiding insta gibs

I have done some testing with chroma and this is what i found:

Ice:

spectral scream can do good cc & dmg and open up for finishing shots with any gun. useful for trapping the enemy flag carrier while he rushes through it.

ward: reflects MELEE damage and has a chance to proc ice. very good when fighting melee users.

vex armor: basicly makes you absorb the enemy's attack if you time it right. it can make a braton prime kill you from 9 shots to 28 (full hp)

effigy: not very useful. sometimes the pelt roars and it does nothing but waste your energy. can rarely kill and can be useful as a decoy for escaping bad situations.

fire:

spectral scream can proc fire, which does decent damage, but doesnt always kill. can kill after you die.

ward: same with ice but fire proc instead

toxic:

spectral scream w/o augment is S#&$ty. takes 100 energy to down a rhino standing in place. VERY inefficent.

ward seems to work differently, but i cant tell its effect from testing.

electric:

spectral scream have chaining potential but its very situational.

ward works the same way as fire but with electric proc.

numbers in-game:

breath: ice 75, electricity 70, fire 55, toxic 8

ward: ice 1.8 melee retaliation multiplier, fire 2 multiplier toxic 0.6?, electricity 2

vex is the same for all, 10000% armor increase (if you can ever get to that in 4 seconds) and 2.75(?) dmg multiplier

effigy is the same as spectral scream dmg wise, and it has enough hp to last its duration

(Also DE fix the matchmaking in conclave, private is PRIVATE! cant do testing with randoms joining when you set it on friends only)

BTW can anyone test what does the range do on elemental ward? i couldnt test its effect (mabye allies get the same buff?)

Edited by HermlT

I've never seen anyone use Chroma effectively.

Spectral Scream might have been good if it didn't make you a sitting duck. The extremely short range doesn't help either. The only people you can kill with Spectral Scream are the ones that stand still 99% of the time.

I don't know what Elemental Ward does in PVP, the fire version one doesn't give HP or hurt anyone.

Vex Armor doesn't last long enough to work, and a power that relies on taking damage in PVP is just straight up bad anyway.

Never seen Effigy in PVP ever, so I can't comment on that. But I doubt a turret with short range and short duration is useful.

Chroma has pretty good base stats though, but that's it. Without energy Chroma is certainly best, but energy is plentiful.

I've never seen anyone use Chroma effectively.

Spectral Scream might have been good if it didn't make you a sitting duck. The extremely short range doesn't help either. The only people you can kill with Spectral Scream are the ones that stand still 99% of the time.

Really? Have you never seen a Chroma with a Bo Prime? that combo can cheese hardcore. 

Yes Spectral Scream is terrible without Afterburn. Imo Afterburn is a necessity, and using Toxin can easily one shot players with only a 1-2 sec charge. Its a fun way to punish players trying to steal your Ceph. See someone coming, start spectral scream so by the time they are on top of the Ceph, u hv 1-2 sec of charge time and Bam, they're toast.

Chroma's base high armor stat won't mean much with the games current fast-ish TTK.

All you'll really notice is that his movement speed is relatively slow.

Spectral scream has it's moments specifically in group engagements.

It is extremely risky to use though.

Elemental Ward and Vex Armor's effects are difficult to get use out of due to how fast the TTK is.

For the energy cost it usually just isn't worth using them cause they have too small of an impact.

Effigy is great for helping to defend a point on the map and doesn't require much to cast. at least for a moment.

Bascially Chroma is hit or miss right now....