Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Problems With Switching Audio Sources In Warframe (+++)

faith_healer

I have Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus soundcard

with running Windows 7 Pro x64.

There is a longstanding (at least 1 year) problem with sound in Warframe.

Issue comes when I try to switch from desktop speakers to Sennheiser headset via control box.

IQlY16H.jpg?1

So, how to get the problem:

1st step issue:

I have sound output to desktop speakers.

I run Warframe, and connect headset to the control box.

Result:

All windows sounds (from media players, browsers and other games like Quake3) now directed to my headphones EXCEPT Warframe. It still directs sounds to my desktop speakers.

2nd step issue:

I have sound output to headphones via control box.

I run Warframe (and sound is in headphones), and disconnect headset from the control box.

Result:

Warframe warns me that it lost it's connection to audio device:

ONrcdVj.png?1

and becomes totally mute.

Reconnecting headphones to control box doesn't make a sense - the game regains it's "voice" only after game restart.

Can you please fix that issue with sound (or at least make it possible in options to forcibly select output source as it done for voice chat)?

PS. It also was thoroughly tested with different drivers (and Windows 8.1 too) all recent year, and I get really annoyed about this issue...

Does this problem still occur if you connect your headset first, then run Warframe?

it happens as I described in

2nd step issue:
I have sound output to headphones via control box.
I run Warframe (and sound is in headphones), and disconnect headset from the control box.

Result:
Warframe warns me that it lost it's connection to audio device:
ONrcdVj.png?1
and becomes totally mute.
Reconnecting headphones to control box doesn't make a sense - the game regains it's "voice" only after game restart.

I find Warframe's audio behavior annoying. It makes zero sense that I have to restart the game in order to switch audio devices, especially since Warframe is literally the only thing I've come across which requires that. I frequently switch between 1) headphones driven by a USB DAC and 2) HDMI driven audio.

This problem happens no matter what headset you are using in warframe, if the headset comes unplugged for even an instant, warframe becomes mute and will >NOT< make a sound until you restart the entire game.  I always thought the problem was just annoying but not something for me to mention if I was the only one, but now that I know Im not its time to speak up.

I use Turtle Beach headphones (the TitanFall editions) and I also play on an HD plasma from time to time.  If I want to switch devices from my laptop to my TV, the display is fine (assuming I just tell it to mirror screens) but the audio will ONLY come from the original source at the time warframe was opened.  Even if I disconnect the TV entirely, warframe will tell me its lost the Audio and will remain mute.

The same could be said for Headphones if the situation was reversed.

Have a similar problem when switching from TV sound to usb headphones. All my sounds transfer over to the headphones instantly, except warframe. Even went to sounds and tried to set warframe to headphones with no success. Forces me to restart the game to switch over.

Might want to give this a skim, OP: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14887-Problems-with-new-Xonar-Phoebus

With regards to general sound output on PC gaming: For a program to switch between audio sources, it would first have to detect all available audio outputs (or inputs, for microphones). Most programs do not do this, with the exceptions of standard codecs, such as those enabled by Java and other languages in a web browser for instance. Changing the default audio device in windows generally means you must restart any program that was previously running, as this even used to be the case for web browsers until Windows 7. In WinXP, you literally had to restart any program if you changed the default audio device.

As someone that has used a variety of USB headsets and other audio devices for years, it is seems like common knowledge to me that you have to restart programs (namely games) if you switch audio devices. The only programs that wouldn't need a restart would be those like Skype/Mumble/Teamspeak which have their own independent audio settings; built specifically to detect all audio devices, able to output to anything regardless of your default audio device settings.

In fact I know that forum and Asus Phoebus software issues (and read it regularly), that were mostly fixed in recent drivers, I actually don't think it's an Asus Phoebus driver/hardware issue. My issue comes only with Warframe, but not in AIMP, Daum PotPlayer, browsers, etc.

Edited by faith_healer

I have been experiencing this issue for a very very long time now.

From my experience, it seems to be related to how Warframe detects and uses sound devices provided by Windows.

If you change the active sound device on OS level, Warframe will not notice this and keep outputting sound to the device that was active at the time the game was started. This happens to me whenever I plug in my headphones while the game is already running: Warframe keeps outputting to speakers, but everything else is routed to headphones.

If you unplug / otherwise remove the device so that it disappears from the sound device overview in Windows, then Warframe will show above mentioned error message and no longer output any sound whatsoever. This can only be mitigated by restarting the client so that it selects the new currently active sound device for output.

What Warframe should be doing from my POV: Whenever the game detects a change to the sound devices provided by the OS, it should re-initialize ingame sound with the currently active device (OS level) as output device (ingame).

Don't know if this is a work around or not but in my os I set my headphones as my default sound source and my desktop second. This way all my sounds default to my headset when I plug it in. Thus solving numerous problems with other games, although I've never tried this problem with Warframe.

I think WF should allow to change between audio sources. For example, I use Sharkoon Xstatic Air wireless headphones which have a hub that is connected to my PC via USB port and that hub is read as another sound device.So, if my batteries run out of energy during gameplay, I can't use my second headphones  which are connected via 3.5 mm jack without restarting the game (those headphones use standard audio card on MOBO). I have to turn off my hub for the other headphones to work but then WF tells me that it's lost audio device. I am forced to restart WF then.

The reason I don't use secondary headphones whole time is because they are quite uncomfortable and mic is not working.

So, if it's somehow possible to incorporate what OP is asking for, that would be much appreciated.

Edited by Mathstudent

In fact I know that forum and Asus Phoebus software issues (and read it regularly), that were mostly fixed in recent drivers, I actually don't think it's an Asus Phoebus driver/hardware issue. My issue comes only with Warframe, but not in AIMP, Daum PotPlayer, browsers, etc.

RIght, as I indicated in the rest of my post, audio switching can occur in a variety of other programs that aren't games. So are you able to switch audio no problem in other games?

The only reason I pointed out that particular thread dealing with driver issues is that your problem only seems to appear when you switch sources through your card, rather than Windows itself. This of course makes it a software issue because that remote is not purely mechanical in nature (a simple extension of headphones/microphone TRS plugs).

OK, we are looking into it.

DE_George, thank you!

RIght, as I indicated in the rest of my post, audio switching can occur in a variety of other programs that aren't games. So are you able to switch audio no problem in other games?

Other games (ioQuake3, NFS: HP 2010, NFS:MW 2012) works as it should when I change source - they change output to the proper one.

The only reason I pointed out that particular thread dealing with driver issues is that your problem only seems to appear when you switch sources through your card, rather than Windows itself. This of course makes it a software issue because that remote is not purely mechanical in nature (a simple extension of headphones/microphone TRS plugs).

As you can see posts above from other users - I'm not the only one with the issue. Others have different gear, but they all have the same issue with output changing.

Edited by faith_healer

If I jostle my headseat too much (ie. move, at all some days) it triggers this odd disconnect (have had this headset for over two years so maybe it's just getting close to the end of it's lifetime) and get roughly this exact same issue. I also have to restart Warframe every single time it does this, which is beyond annoying and means I really can't just pause and step away from a mission.

I use bluetooth headphones and every time I go out of the room they disconnect. Ususually it does not cause problems because they reconnect as soon as I come back. But in Warframe's case I have to restart the game every time I forget to take them off.

Very annoying.

• 2 months later...