Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is Warframe Not For Mac Or Linux?

willowy_

Why would you want a system with Linux or Mac?

Used a distro for coding at college, you can do the same with windows (and with more compatibility).
Mac? I don't like to share every meal in the facebook.

Because mac architecture is just awful to deal with, plus they don't make gaming Macs, so you don't have the same power on tap as pc.

Finally Mac users are a minority with low demand.

As for Linux, there are about 7 million different versions of it, all set up differently, which again, is a nightmare to code for.

Plus if you are running Linux, you should be smart enough to get it to work for yourself.

Thanks for letting me know, a friend of mine who wanted to play wf but couldnt because he got a hand me down mac wanted me to ask and ill let him know. Thanka

Hey, you can play Warframe on Mac, it just isn't ideal for making it work.

Mac's use the same hardware as PC's, it's just the OS that has issues with it, but you can do some work arounds to make it work.

But generally, Mac has something like 14% of the OS market last I checked, and out of that the number that are gamers is probably a lot less so I would guess there isn't a big demand for support.

As mentioned, LInux has to many distro's and Linux users will generally know how to tweak to make it work on the OS already.

So just search the forum for threads about Mac, there more recent ones should solve your friends issue for running it. You will need to ignore all the hate towards Mac's, as well, Apple are *****, but thats another discussion :)

Its very complicated to bring many games Iv heard into Linux and Mac potentionally because of various reasons that would bore you. I'v hasked this question myself and got a direct awnser a while ago that Warframe has no plans on bringing it too these systems anytime soon for again various technical reasons.

Hate to say it but a PC is just so much better then a Mac or Linux when it comes down to gaming, I used to think differntly until I got a badass computer....now I dont but I do miss not having to worrie about virus's on my old mac.

PS: Many people are screaming "Dual boot" as though this process is easy but I can tell you from experiance its not only costly for the average person wanting to do it its laggy and rather pointless, youd be better just buying a better PC then too ever bother with that.

Edited by Monybags33

One word... Bootcamp!  I play all games on my imac. Its as simple as running bootcamp and buying a $60 copy of windows. Any high end apple computer will run the game very smoothly. Even demanding games like AC Unity can still be run at ultra settings.

because f*** apple

as for linux, there are too many versions to take into account for. people who use linux know how to run windows and what not to get warframe working anyways, so it never really is a problem

if you don't know how to do this with linux, then you need to not be using linux

because f*** apple

as for linux, there are too many versions to take into account for. people who use linux know how to run windows and what not to get warframe working anyways, so it never really is a problem

if you don't know how to do this with linux, then you need to not be using linux

Pretty much this... ok. I endorse this message. LOL

PCMasterRace FTW

lol at all the people hating on Mac. I bet a vast majority never even had one.

Mac isn't for gaming. Definitely not. It was made to do office work, to last long on its own battery, to be user-friendly when surfing on the net.

I use a macbook for work, coding, and developping websites and it sh!ts on a Win laptop anyday.

But when it comes to gaming, if you're using a Linux or Mac, you're doing it wrong.

Out of curiosity why is warframe not available for Mac and Linux? I just want to know if theres a reason or if im missing something, because im sure there are people who want to play it who dont have windows.

It's not that easy to port a game to a different operating system. Some groundwork has probably been done with the console ports (especially to PS4, its OS has the same roots as Apple Macs do), although I don't know the specifics.

As others said, your best bet is trying to dual boot a Windows on your machine and use that to play games.

Because making a game work on Macs severely limits its capabilities. As for Linux, the market is incredibly small and most users have some way to run Windows too - Gaben will change this one day though.

In short: buy a decent computer, not an overpriced tin can.

Part of the problem for Linux is there is a lack of motivation on developers. I keep hoping steamboxes make it big. Then developers will have the motivation for catering to that market.

If a game runs on SteamOS, it can run on just about any distro. It just becomes an end-user issue of having the right packages.

So no one has actually given any meaningful answers yet? Ok, I guess I'm up:

Neither The PC, XBOne nor the PS4 Warframe (Evolution Engine) use OpenGL (That OSX and Linux use). Given the small playerbase on gaming-capable Mac+Linux I doubt DE will ever consider it worth the time to port their D3D engine to OpenGL (NB They most likely used middlewear to do the PS4 engine conversion)

It would be great if they did (I have a work Mac Pro) but I believe the last comment was "No plans to"
Edited by SilentMobius

I assume that making the game work on another OS, like Mac or any incarnation of Linux, would be the same as making it work on a different console. 

So i guess it is a popularity thing, if there are enough players willing to play on linux/max or another OS, DE would step in. (still a guess tho)

So no one has actually given any meaningful answers yet? Ok, I guess I'm up:

Neither The PC, XBOne nor the PS4 Warframe (Evolution Engine) use OpenGL (That OSX and Linux use). Given the small playerbase on gaming-capable Mac+Linux I doubt DE will ever consider it worth the time to port their D3D engine to OpenGL (NB They most likely used middlewear to do the PS4 engine conversion)

It would be great if they did (I have a work Mac Pro) but I believe the last comment was "No plans to"

I thought my answer was good enough without going into too much detail. But if you want, here's some more information: The graphics framework is certainly one of the more important differences, but there are more: file system access, drivers/driver support, network stack, process logic, sound API, input devices and some other things that all need to be accounted for and properly abstracted before you can develop cross-platform.

By the way, Warframe's Evolution Engine seems to have been capable of running on Macs at one point. It was also used to create The Darkness II which was released for Macs (see table "Games developed").

Edited by Kontrollo