The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Crap Known As Rank Testing.

Liveitrivet

So after a ton of hard work, I finally get enough mastery to advance to level 2. Ooh, I get Rhino warframe. Oooh, I get the Gram Heavy Sword. Oooh, I get this and that and this and that. Except you have to test for the rank. Well okay, seems fair.

Or so I thought.

So they plop me in this circle and say 'let's see how good you are with your sidearm.' 

Seems fair.

Except I'm waiting in the circle for the simulated grineer to get out of their damn cover, and time runs out. May I add that you were allowed to leave the circle the whole... damn.... time. I didn't figure this out until I dashed out because there was 5 seconds left and I figured I was gonna fail anyway.

Then, nobody told me you could actually use your rifle. You don't have to go sidearm, it just says do so. I was unaware of this either.

Warframe devs, if you're gonna make rank testing, don't be so vague in WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO AND WHAT YOU CAN'T DO. If you're gonna make something that people by default would usually assume means failure, and have it just there for kicks and giggles, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Of course, it's only fair now that I have to wait 24 hours to test. It also says you need to re-qualify for the rank if you wanna test again.

1. It's a lie.

2. Lemme get this straight... in a game where it takes a couple days minimum to get a rank, you would TEST them and if they fail you would take away all their progress? Are you mad? 

My thoughts: I dunno.... 2/10 maybe? The game is good. Repetitive, REALLY need to work on the replayability, but otherwise good. However, misleading instructions are one of my biggest pet peeves. Fix it.

I don't understand what you're loosing, are you saying you lost your whole xp/rank after you failed?

A note btw: you don't have to stand in the circle, you just have to kill with your sidearm.

For more info, you only had to google "warframe wiki rank", it would have gave you as the first link: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Mastery_Rank

Here is all the info you need. You're welcomed.

Dude, rank tests are like 2 minutes of your life every couple dozen hours, chill out. I don't recall they saying sidearm only but if you landed headshots, it would have been a piece of cake anyway so relax.
And you don't lose your progress, it just takes 24 hours for you to be allowed to test again. God help you with rank 5 and 6 tests lol.
And you could try saying please and having some manners.

You can use you primary for your side arm test. It's just that you're gonna fail the test.

You can leave the circle, move around freely and you can even use your non-damaging abilities without failing the test.

Nothing misleading about instructions. Lotus tells you to kill enemies with your side arm, you kill enemies with your side arm.  

Kill them with abilities/melee/primary and you fail.

Also, this is currently in beta. 

People who don't know the definition of beta and cannot follow simple instructions are one of my biggest pet peeves. Fix it.

I had a sidearm test for rank 2 and passed it without problems.

You're over thinking it if you assume you're not allowed the leave the starting circle. The game never stipulates that as a condition.

If you're able to use your primary and melee weapons during the test, that's a bug. My other two weapons were unequipped from my warframe for the duration of the test; I couldn't use them.

You probably failed because you didn't follow the one requirement: using your sidearm (I'm almost certain this also means you can't use abilities).

You don't lose any progress when you fail, in fact, you still accumulate xp for the next rank even if you haven't passed the test yet.

They're pretty clear anc concise about what you're supposed to do, just wait until the higher ranks.

Edited by Galaxy-Train

You can use you primary for your side arm test. It's just that you're gonna fail the test.

You can leave the circle, move around freely and you can even use your non-damaging abilities without failing the test.

Nothing misleading about instructions. Lotus tells you to kill enemies with your side arm, you kill enemies with your side arm.  

Kill them with abilities/melee/primary and you fail.

This... I really don't understand how some people misinterpret such simple instructions as KILL EVERYTHING WITH SIDEARM... That's... it..

The game doesn't tell you to stay in it, but I wouldn't say that it is an unreasonable to assume that one has to since, y'know, endless whiteness in all directions.

It'll also be better if the game just deactivates primaries and melee as well as warframe abilities for the first test. Less confusion that way.

I think his problem was that it says that when you fail you have to qualify again, so he thinks you have to earn all that mastery again. I do not think that is how it works, but I have yet to fail and have made sure not to just in case. I could not find anywhere telling me if it did or did not work that way.

Edited by liavalenth

"Fix it. I demand you."

No. Fix your attitude. The games in beta, DE are working on better tutorials and training. Stop demanding S#&$ thats on its way.

I knew exactly what to do in rank ups because I played the tutorial, which is laid out in a similar environment; with the floor circle.

Its not that hard. Show lotus what you learned from battling in the field. If you sit within a 3m radius with no cover, completely surrounded, then youre better off without having that rhino and gram.

If you stumble through the game relying on everyone to tell you every parameter, wait until the full release when the tutorials are finished.

When I did my rank test, I assumed that the game would automatically equip my pistol (kinda like it did in the tutorial), and I fired ONE SHOT at the ground before realizing that I really had my Rifle equipped.

Said shot didn't even hit anything (other than the floor) and it still failed me at the first wave. *rolls eyes*

OP seems mad, lol. There's nothing misleading about the instructions.

Nevertheless I do agree about removing the circle. I had failed the first test as well thinking I had to stay in the circle. Unlike the OP I just shrugged it off and easily completed it another day. It's a game dude, if you're getting so worked up over it you're doing it wrong. The subsequent tests felt far easier btw (not that anything is really hard in this game), no idea why the sidearm test is the first one you pass. 

Also in the melee test the game does not make any guns available to you, so I think that the sidearm test allows you to keep your rifle and melee is a bug, it should force you to your sidearm just for consistency (or otherwise give the player all weapons for the melee test - personally I would like that actually having to read the instructions was part of the test).

Edited by Snib

I got a test where I had to survive against, like, 5 infested for a couple of minutes. I wallran up to a pillar and just jumped around on them, never taking any damage for the whole test and that worked out fine.

I still have absolutely no idea whether or not using my weapons was allowed.

I would really like to see some additional directions in some of these. The one I got today was very... vague. Something about showing how powerful my warframe was, then a timer and enemies. I thought I just had to kill them and be done with it... Apparently not because I failed. 

Should the circle be removed or changed somehow? Every other person seems to think you have to stay inside it.

You're only thinking this way because those people who stepped outside and completed the test don't yell around afterwards. ;)

I think his problem was that it says that when you fail you have to qualify again, so he thinks you have to earn all that mastery again. I do not think that is how it works, but I have yet to fail and have made sure not to just in case. I could not find anywhere telling me if it did or did not work that way.

I failed that first test since one of the Grineer was hiding behind a pillar. You keep all your mastery-points and are able to redo the test 24h later. But when talking to a friend afterwards, he mentioned that it wasn't like this all the time and you actually lost your mastery-points on failing the test. DE seems to have changed that but not exchanged the texts.

I got a test where I had to survive against, like, 5 infested for a couple of minutes. I wallran up to a pillar and just jumped around on them, never taking any damage for the whole test and that worked out fine.

I still have absolutely no idea whether or not using my weapons was allowed.

First try, I failed that test because I did it with a low-level Ember. Next time I went in with max-level Trinity and slaughtered all Infested. So there are at least two different ways to do that test and pass it.

So after a ton of hard work, I finally get enough mastery to advance to level 2. Ooh, I get Rhino warframe. Oooh, I get the Gram Heavy Sword. Oooh, I get this and that and this and that. Except you have to test for the rank. Well okay, seems fair.

Or so I thought.

So they plop me in this circle and say 'let's see how good you are with your sidearm.' 

Seems fair.

Except I'm waiting in the circle for the simulated grineer to get out of their damn cover, and time runs out. May I add that you were allowed to leave the circle the whole... damn.... time. I didn't figure this out until I dashed out because there was 5 seconds left and I figured I was gonna fail anyway.

Then, nobody told me you could actually use your rifle. You don't have to go sidearm, it just says do so. I was unaware of this either.

Warframe devs, if you're gonna make rank testing, don't be so vague in WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO AND WHAT YOU CAN'T DO. If you're gonna make something that people by default would usually assume means failure, and have it just there for kicks and giggles, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Of course, it's only fair now that I have to wait 24 hours to test. It also says you need to re-qualify for the rank if you wanna test again.

1. It's a lie.

2. Lemme get this straight... in a game where it takes a couple days minimum to get a rank, you would TEST them and if they fail you would take away all their progress? Are you mad? 

My thoughts: I dunno.... 2/10 maybe? The game is good. Repetitive, REALLY need to work on the replayability, but otherwise good. However, misleading instructions are one of my biggest pet peeves. Fix it.

Fix the problem. Fix the player.

I would really like to see some additional directions in some of these. The one I got today was very... vague. Something about showing how powerful my warframe was, then a timer and enemies. I thought I just had to kill them and be done with it... Apparently not because I failed.

I would assume thats referencing your frames powers. And using ONLY your powers.

ThaT said, the system isnt critical to update before the reset.

First try, I failed that test because I did it with a low-level Ember. Next time I went in with max-level Trinity and slaughtered all Infested. So there are at least two different ways to do that test and pass it.

Now that's interesting! Now I regret not getting the thirty rifle kills of my subobjective. :<

Uh yeah, I can say 100% that if you fail, you don't lose your xp towards mastery.  I failed on my rank 5 test where you have to shoot the glowing white orbs (follow the line bouncing between dim yellow orbs) before time runs out.  So what did I do?  I took the test yesterday, improved my shooting, passed the test and got my rank increase.  And just for everyone's information.  If you start in a circle in any test, unless Lotus tells you specifically leaving the circle will make you fail, don't stay inside the circle.

This game is about creativity, pushing boundries, discovering new ways to overcome challenges and trying to impress the developers with crazy combinations and stunt moves that hinge on the thin line known as game-breaking.