Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Slash Vs Impact Vs Puncture?

thehotsung8701A

Question

Does it even matter as long as a weapon has high damage for 1 or more of the 3 damage?

Or is it similar to where you get more experience killing Grineer then Corpus and Infested?

If you had to choose one stat, which would it be?  Impact or Puncture or Slash?

Like my question is are one type of stat more values than other?

11 answers to this question

Slash = Fleshy Targets

Puncture = Armoured Targets

Impact = Knockback 

Yes I know that, but does it matter?  Certain people were saying get this weapon cause it has puncture damage and other don't, so I was wondering if there is one damage that is more important than another. 

In terms of damage puncture best against armor, slash is best against flesh, and impact is best against shields. In terms of status procs puncture causes the enemy to do less damage, slash provides an armor ignoring DOT, and impact causes a stun.

Edited by Rakshal

Each  proc has its own value. Slash being good against flesh (Like the infested), puncture is good against armoured targets (Grineer) and impact is good against shields (Corpus are a good example. When you use a puncture weapon against an armoured target you do more damage and vice versa. However the dread is a weapon with mostly slash damage but do to its high overall crit damage it is still good against all factions. So the damage of a weapon can in a sense over ride the base status of the weapon. And as of right now it would seem that other procs are better than other. The fact that people stay away from impact weapons if they can is a great example.

Edited by williamsos10

Generally try to avoid Impact, due to it being good against shields (which often are easily removed by cold/magnetic or directly bypassed by toxin and viral procs) and go for Slash (with corrosive if facing plenty of armor) or puncture (which is generally good against everything).

In terms of damage best against armor, slash is best against flesh, and impact is best against shields. In terms of status procs puncture causes the enemy to do less damage, slash provides an armor ignoring DOT, and impact causes a stun.

Generally try to avoid Impact, due to it being good against shields (which often are easily removed by cold/magnetic or directly bypassed by toxin and viral procs) and go for Slash (with corrosive if facing plenty of armor) or puncture (which is generally good against everything).

That was what I was looking for.  Explain why my friend said not to get the Cernos bow cause it impact damage.

Out of the three i would say impact is the least important, unless you're fighting against corpus. If you're doing a long survival run, then there are certain requirements. If all players aren't using corrosive projection then i would go with puncture so it would help out with high armor, and if everyone is using corrosive projection then go with slash, the bleed proc is nice.

Since everything in this game is based on the certain situation, you should know what weapons to use with these criteria, but if i was forced to pick one then i would go with puncture, since its always good for the long run. 

Yes I know that, but does it matter?  Certain people were saying get this weapon cause it has puncture damage and other don't, so I was wondering if there is one damage that is more important than another. 

puncture is for grineer and high armor targets

slash is for the infested in general and the crewmen and low grineer lancers and butchers 

impact is for shielded enemies and the corpus robotics

though all of them fall a little short against the element dmg types, but make sure you scan the enemies and see the dmg info and what dmg type affects them the most  

Puncture tends to be the most popular of the physical damage types since it deals bonus damage against armored targets which tend to become ridiculously tanky compared to unarmored enemies. On the other hand, I would assume that hardcore survivalists would just use four Corrosive Projection auras, effectively removing enemy armor and making Slash damage more ideal as slash deals bonus damage to flesh which is basically what every enemy in the game is made of, save for robots. Impact is generally regarded as useless, as it only deals bonus damage to shields, which are significantly easier to deal with than armor.

Of course at the end of the day it's elemental mods that deal all the crazy bonus damage to enemies, so with the right elemental setup those physical damage types barely even matter until obscene levels of enemy scaling anyway.