The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Worth Adding Steel Fibre?

(PSN)Kitehighland

Question

looking mainly at my ash with his massive health pool and going on to higher level survivals. the low initial armour value of 65 means my current 100% steel fibre only takes it upto 130, which is still low compared to some warframes base values without that mod.

does anyone feel it is a worthwhile mod for lower level frames?

cheers

andy

If you don't have any other mods to put there (using max Vitality and max Redirection add more effective hit points), putting a Steel Fiber in an empty slot for Ash is a pretty good idea. He's pretty tanky by default with his higher health pool (over 1000 health with a max Vitality at level 30), but making him even tankier is almost always a good idea.

Edited by MrBubbleSS

Not worth it on Ash.

Rule of thumb for steel fiber is if you're lower than 100, don't bother. Ember with 100 (or 125) is somewhat arguable, and higher armor ratings can make use of the damage reduction for energy generation through rage and effective health.

Generally, surviving at higher levels will be more about damage reduction or mitigation from abilities, rather than how tanky the frame is. You're better off building to enhance an ability that keeps you from getting shot in the first place, than you are to build around surviving getting shot.

not really worth a slot, you're better of with vitality 

only use steel fiber on frames that have +150 armor (frost, valkyr, chroma, rhino...etc) 

Way I look at it: Only use Steel Fiber if base Armor is 250+

So is it worth maxing for Valkyr?  People say armor is useless but that don't apply to Valkyr so I'm curious if i should bother maxing it after Serration and Split Chamber. 

So is it worth maxing for Valkyr?  People say armor is useless but that don't apply to Valkyr so I'm curious if i should bother maxing it after Serration and Split Chamber. 

valkyr really shines with a steel fiber+vitality+rage builds, so yes, it's worth it

In my experience having steel fibre on anything with an armor value lower than 150 is a waste of a mod slot and even then I would only ever put steel fibre on valkyr but that's just me.

As for higher survivability on ash, it depends on your play style. Modding for either his blade storm or his smoke screen helps. Adding range, efficiency and strength mods is great for his blade storm and because you are invincible during the animation, you can spend pretty much the entire duration of the mission spamming blade storm, as long as you have energy. So in that case you may prefer not to have any health and shield mods at all and just focus modding for blade storm....but that is a very boring way to play in my IMO.

I like to play ash with his smoke screen augment that allows you to make players invisible when you cast smoke screen in close proximity to them. It is great for reviving a downed buddy and for hiding your team if you get in a jam and it's fun. Use duration mods to extend the invisibility.

For better overall survivability, use, vitality, rage, primed flow or vanilla flow, quick thinking and redirection if you have the space.

Rage (best used with vitality) is going to replenish your energy every time you loose health (which is inevitable in higher levels without a way to negate the damage). Quick thinking will stop your health dropping below 2hp but will drain your energy every time you take direct damage to your health (a third health bar so to speak).These two mods compliment each other really well. It's also noting the 'Life strike' mod for your melee weapon. This will allow to replenish health with every melee hit. So....loose health, gain energy, life strike your health back and repeat. 

Not sure if I needed to give such a long winded explanation but meh.

In my experience having steel fibre on anything with an armor value lower than 150 is a waste of a mod slot and even then I would only ever put steel fibre on valkyr but that's just me.

As for higher survivability on ash, it depends on your play style. Modding for either his blade storm or his smoke screen helps. Adding range, efficiency and strength mods is great for his blade storm and because you are invincible during the animation, you can spend pretty much the entire duration of the mission spamming blade storm, as long as you have energy. So in that case you may prefer not to have any health and shield mods at all and just focus modding for blade storm....but that is a very boring way to play in my IMO.

I like to play ash with his smoke screen augment that allows you to make players invisible when you cast smoke screen in close proximity to them. It is great for reviving a downed buddy and for hiding your team if you get in a jam and it's fun. Use duration mods to extend the invisibility.

For better overall survivability, use, vitality, rage, primed flow or vanilla flow, quick thinking and redirection if you have the space.

Rage (best used with vitality) is going to replenish your energy every time you loose health (which is inevitable in higher levels without a way to negate the damage). Quick thinking will stop your health dropping below 2hp but will drain your energy every time you take direct damage to your health (a third health bar so to speak).These two mods compliment each other really well. It's also noting the 'Life strike' mod for your melee weapon. This will allow to replenish health with every melee hit. So....loose health, gain energy, life strike your health back and repeat. 

Not sure if I needed to give such a long winded explanation but meh.

So Life strike does the same thing as Quick Thinking and Rage combine?

all these 10 rank max'ing questions just depend on your situation.

just rank them up according to resources available.

if there's some mod I use all the time I like it to be ranked as high as possible, but the difference in damage taken between a rank 8 and 10 fiber is only 2%., and 6 to 10 is only 4%.

it's really not worth the expense, so I never bothered with it until recently when I used double credit weekend to farm 12m credits --- I had the cores, so why not.

I mostly just max'd mine for weird ocd reasons that are hard to explain, plus, it makes me feel virtually wealthier.

So Life strike does the same thing as Quick Thinking and Rage combine?

life strike heals you, but you have to melee.

alternatively, you could use the syndicate augment on furis, which is what I do.

quick thinking uses your energy pool as a reserve health pool, while rage replenishes that energy pool as your actual health pool gets wiped out, so a lot of ppl use those mods in conjunction, or at least used to.

they fixed it so rage stops working once you bottom out at 2 health and QT kicks in.

all these 10 rank max'ing questions just depend on your situation.

just rank them up according to resources available.

if there's some mod I use all the time I like it to be ranked as high as possible, but the difference in damage taken between a rank 8 and 10 fiber is only 2%., and 6 to 10 is only 4%.

it's really not worth the expense, so I never bothered with it until recently when I used double credit weekend to farm 12m credits --- I had the cores, so why not.

I mostly just max'd mine for weird ocd reasons that are hard to explain, plus, it makes me feel virtually wealthier.

So most or all 10 star mods for the sake of cost to ratios is better left at 6 stars?

So most or all 10 star mods for the sake of cost to ratios is better left at 6 stars?

steel fiber for sure, but others less so.

you get more benefit to cost from ranking redirection and vitality, I think, so I'd at least shoot for 8 on those, and probably the same on serration, or maybe hornet if you use secondary a lot.

like I said, it just kind of depends on your budget and what you use a lot.

I mean, if you just melee all the time maybe I'd invest less in serration and hornet, for example.

in all these games it's just resource management until you get game rich and can afford the luxuries of max'd stuff.

now that I think about it, I never even max'd serration and hornet -- think I traded for those in chat.

the common mods are easier to rank up, but the rarer mods suck up more cores, which is the real bottleneck, not so much the creds.

steel fiber for sure, but others less so.

you get more benefit to cost from ranking redirection and vitality, I think, so I'd at least shoot for 8 on those, and probably the same on serration, or maybe hornet if you use secondary a lot.

like I said, it just kind of depends on your budget and what you use a lot.

I mean, if you just melee all the time maybe I'd invest less in serration and hornet, for example.

in all these games it's just resource management until you get game rich and can afford the luxuries of max'd stuff.

now that I think about it, I never even max'd serration and hornet -- think I traded for those in chat.

the common mods are easier to rank up, but the rarer mods suck up more cores, which is the real bottleneck, not so much the creds.

Cool, good to know I'm doing it correctly.  My serration and split chamber is at 8 and my redirection and vitality is at 6 for now. 

Cool, good to know I'm doing it correctly.  My serration and split chamber is at 8 and my redirection and vitality is at 6 for now. 

another very minor point is that while you're in a 'growth' phase of the game you might want to keep the point totals on the 10 rank mods even, as you'll most likely be putting them on your polarized slots, since they will be the highest value mods, and an 11 on a polarized slot costs 6 just the same as a 12 on that slot due to rounding.

just a little extra efficiency

if it was a rank 5 mod I probably would just pop it up to max even if it ends up being an 11 just because it's so easy to max and you'd want the extra dmg