Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Our Community Player Base Shallow?

Zarozian

I'm not really a fan of these posts. They try to make the worst of people. Just because he did this video and probably only showed the negative reactions doesn't people people en masse are negative. Posts like these only serve to see the negative in people or else they wouldn't be asking.

edit: typo

Edited by HandsOfnArtist

It's all shades of grey.

If you are seeing someone for tge first time, or when you don't know much about them, all you see is their appearance and their actions.

And those go up against what you know, which is why bigotry is so easy.

What you don't see is the third dimension of a person, their history, their motivations.

We can accuse the guy in the video of being a scumbag, but what about if a homeless guy had at some previous point and time given his daughter a lolly filled with broken razor blades?

There are a million things that we cannot know from the two dimensional picture we are given of the world, and not enough time to allow us to see the stories behind it.

Nothing is black or white, that much is simple.

Just try not to be a scumbag, and remember that every single person you see as an extra in your life, has a story as rich and as vibrant as yours.

Though culture modifies how we act and what we believe, it still bends to our subconscious whims.  It is as much a part of culture as it is a part of us.  If a culture teaches us to not be immoral, eventually all we will see is immorality.  Greed cannot be stopped, only suppressed, pride cannot be stricken down, only impeded.

We are not as far away from nature as you would believe.

We are slowly regressing, and eventually we will need to pick ourselves up.

In my experience people would only strike you down to look better to the crowd, not because they believe you are unjust.  That's human nature right there.

It's all dependent really. I can't really deny what you say, it will exist, but it can be suppressed.

I will deny that we are regressing though. The modern generation seems a lot more open-minded, less racist, and just generally a lot better people than say the Baby boomers are. It could be a false illusion, but I don't really think of it like that, as I see good people on a daily basis. Back in the old ages, you would be killed or harmed for smack talking a man, or being homosexual. We are a lot more accepting.

And while you could look better to the crowd, there will always be another viewpoint that says "That's unjust"

There really is no right in all this nor a clear viewpoint. There's just too many different viewpoints. No one is right nor is anyone wrong.

I feel more like it is a multiple choice answer, depends on who you are looking at. But people like that do exist, as chance demands it. 

Much like the inverse, there too are good people. 

But like it was said before and well, we aren't black and white. Not saying we can't be good, rather that the answer is a bit more complicated than that, as are people themselves.

that's a sham and a farce that you're seeing, just like American News Networks. it's lies.

there's still plenty of war over things, it's just not a war where there's blood spilled necessarily. instead, it's people being extorted.

or, still actually war. invading other places that can't defend themselves in order to steal their resources, with a disguise on to trick people into thinking that's not what you're there for.

it's the same as it's always been. less outright death, but plenty of lives ruined just the same.

I rather give people the truth and let them decide.

I'm not really a fan of these posts. They try to make the worst of people. Just because he did this video and probably only showed the negative reactions doesn't people people en masse are negative. Posts like these only serve to see the negative in people or else they wouldn't be asking.

edit: typo

He showed the positive too.

But it's also about making an impact. When people see negative things like that they want to do something positive to make it better. Am I right?

that's a sham and a farce that you're seeing, just like American News Networks. it's lies.

there's still plenty of war over things, it's just not a war where there's blood spilled necessarily. instead, it's people being extorted.

or, still actually war. invading other places that can't defend themselves in order to steal their resources, with a disguise on to trick people into thinking that's not what you're there for.

it's the same as it's always been. less outright death, but plenty of lives ruined just the same.

If anything that's America that it's doing that, which i hate, but is not so rebundant now.

Yes, extortion is a problem, but i dont believe is just as worse now as it was before. I mean common, probably before you wouldn't even be able to rob someone, because no one had anything to begin with. In the middle ages just really few people would have a decent life, since the rest just lived to work for them.

Edited by YYYo

It's all shades of grey.

If you are seeing someone for tge first time, or when you don't know much about them, all you see is their appearance and their actions.

What you don't see is the third dimension of a person, their history, their motivations.

We can accuse the guy in the video of being a scumbag, but what about if a homeless guy had at some previous point and time given his daughter a lolly filled with broken razor blades?

There are a million things that we cannot know from the two dimensional picture we are given of the world, and not enough time to allow us to see the stories behind it.

Just try not to be a scumbag, and remember that every single person you see as an extra in your life, has a story as rich and as vibrant as yours.

This is a large portion of what I believe. As it is said, you cannot judge a book by it's cover, it's contents have so much more to tell than just a first impression.

- How the F*** can you possibly know? The false equivalence of because it happened before it "can" happen again. Humans have the ability to learn and act upon his knowledge.

- Okey, first off, everything that's inside nature it's natural, everything came from nature. Yes we are very far away, we are not @(*()$ apes that would start a fight from everything, we are already evolving to cooperate.

- How do you the will of your fellow human beings? Thats a @(*()$ giant generalisation.

Okay my friend, no need for hostility.

1) How can I know?  Because history tends to repeat itself.  I could give you many examples supporting this.

2) I never said we were apes, and I have said cooperation was always a thing.  By nature I meant human nature.  We are not far away from it.

3) I never claimed to know the will of humans, however I do know a bit about how we work and how we act in groups.

But there already exists several cultures that are like that in some eastern countries.

It's just that it's kinda getting replaced by American Culture for some reason as they modernize.

Also just because it's human nature doesn't mean we should give into it. We can accept it but we shouldn't give in.

It's only there to be resisted. When we resist it we learn from it. When we overcome it we become better people. =/

Someone hasn't been knocked down one too few many times without someone to help them back up.

Look, those other cultures are converting because humility is meekness, and meekness will get trounced on by the proud and confident and successful.  Look at nature - the only time animals show humility is when they're convinced they're on the losing side of a fight and opt for complacent survival over a pointless death.  What's the common trait between men that are seeking a girlfriend but can't seem to get one?  Meekness.  Inferiority.  See how in that video towards the end the guy loses his cool?  That's humanities base nature right there.  Same as any other animal's nature - they're not being treated as an alpha, and so they want to prove they're an alpha.  We've only been spared the need to bludgeon one another for every little thing because food and shelter isn't precisely scarce anymore.  If law enforcement weren't a concern, kicking that last guys &#! and trashing his car would have really put him in his place.  Society has evolved past the point of Genghis Khan however.  Now, power belongs to whomever has the money.  It'll take a zombie apocalypse or alien invasion to change that.

And you know what the biggest shame is in that video?  I'm sure many of the people found it insulting this person was pretending to be a homeless beggar... but giving away money.  That's like stepping on whatever sympathy they may have had left towards the homeless, because now they don't know what to think for the next guy lacking shoes.  Exactly how wrong would you feel taking a bum's last $10 simply because they offered it to you, a complete stranger?

It's all shades of grey.

I feel more like it is a multiple choice answer, depends on who you are looking at. But people like that do exist, as chance demands it. 

Much like the inverse, there too are good people. 

But like it was said before and well, we aren't black and white. Not saying we can't be good, rather that the answer is a bit more complicated than that, as are people themselves.

We're not black and white.

But we are yin and yang.

Black Dot = Impulse

Black Side = Emotions

White Side = Logic

White Dot =Reason

The places for the above can be changed but it will always be those 4 connected to one or the other depending on how you see it.

Empty Circle = The Real You

Yin & Yang As A Whole = Discipline/Ultimate Power

You need to see the symbol as a whole instead of looking at it as two separate things to really understand human nature as well as the nature of our entire universe and the world around us.

Edited by Zarozian

but i dont believe is just as worse now as it was before.

you need only look to larger institutions to see it.

anything ranging from quite a few large Companies, to entire Governments.

i also wasn't saying it's 'the same' as it was in the past, it's more now, rather. computers and Et Cetera make it much easier to cheat and extort.

infact, the entire world runs on cheating. Stock Markets are money printers, nothing more, nothing less. people play those markets all day, using them to print money for them.

infact, the people with the Shares seem to have more control than who the Shares really belong to - you can(if you're sleazy enough to find the right loopholes and Et Cetera) force a Company to buy Shares that you don't want, regardless of price, in order to keep the Company from being sunk with Shares floating around in the nether.

so again, probably just as many lives get ruined, just not death.

It's all dependent really. I can't really deny what you say, it will exist, but it can be suppressed.

I will deny that we are regressing though. The modern generation seems a lot more open-minded, less racist, and just generally a lot better people than say the Baby boomers are. It could be a false illusion, but I don't really think of it like that, as I see good people on a daily basis. Back in the old ages, you would be killed or harmed for smack talking a man, or being homosexual. We are a lot more accepting.

And while you could look better to the crowd, there will always be another viewpoint that says "That's unjust"

There really is no right in all this nor a clear viewpoint. There's just too many different viewpoints. No one is right nor is anyone wrong.

We are regressing, make no mistake, friend.  We are moving forward though.  Yes, people are more open minded, but they are also more susceptible to vice.  I can't prove that, and I won't try to, but I have seen the domestic situation getting worse over the years.  It's sad really.

I never said there wouldn't be, I did say that I believe the majority to be looking for acceptance though.

There is certainly no right or wrong, just beliefs, and I respect yours.

Not entirely. They could ignore it, or accept it.

No it's the negative things that get people riled up because in the end all people want to do positive deep inside.

Even those who do nothing but judge.

Edited by Zarozian

you need only look to larger institutions to see it.

anything ranging from quite a few large Companies, to entire Governments.

i also wasn't saying it's 'the same' as it was in the past, it's more now, rather. computers and Et Cetera make it much easier to cheat and extort.

infact, the entire world runs on cheating. Stock Markets are money printers, nothing more, nothing less. people play those markets all day, using them to print money for them.

infact, the people with the Shares seem to have more control than who the Shares really belong to - you can(if you're sleazy enough to find the right loopholes and Et Cetera) force a Company to buy Shares that you don't want, regardless of price, in order to keep the Company from being sunk with Shares floating around in the nether.

so again, probably just as many lives get ruined, just not death.

Oh that's quite true.

heh... I've been waiting for a thread like this...

I've played a lot of games with a lot of different communities, and this one actually really annoys me.  The only reason why I play the game is because of the game itself.  The community is very immature, as are the devs (gay pink shorts and treating guests like toddlers?), and a lot of players I meet think they're the best thing around and know everything about everything.  I'm sorry, I hardly think a rank 1 knows everything there is about the game and that they are better than everyone else.

The community is also lazy as hell.  Sure, in general, a lot players play warframe casually.  But when it comes to things like (and this is an example) survivals, and then someone wants the entire squad to leave because they have to go to the fcking bathroom, wait what?  You think you're the best and don't want to learn better modding, playstyle, teamwork, etc?  right.... because being in a squad is all about individuality right?  They also want the game to be as easy as possible and only entertain the thought of a challenge.... After all, I guess it's the thought that counts, right?  "Nerf enemies!  Make our frames and weapons as powerful as they can be!  But don't make them too powerful, we still need a challenge...." just please... shut up.

Ignorance is also a common theme.  Please tell me why a rank 17 didn't know what a teleporter was?  Also, when it comes to a game like this, there's a lot going on with dark sectors and conclave, a whole world of politics and high expectations that most people don't even want to know.  You want a challenge, go get involved there for about 6 months, and you'll be so deep in politics that your brain will explode.  Also, I feel like the next time someone asks me "is this gun good?", I will go find them and slap them.  There's a whole wiki that has literally everything on it about everything.  You want to be a good player, then go do the work.  It's that easy.

Every once in a while, I'll come across a very social player, someone who encourages the squad, someone who helps the other players, etc.  I like those people.  They are worth respecting.  The ones who give constructive feedback on what exists, not give an entirely new idea for a rework.  The ones who think about the game and dive into it on all aspects.  The people who use teamwork, take charge in a squad, coordinate, etc.  I like those people.  They're always the ones who are really good.... but why are they so rare?  I have high expectations for the people in my clan, to be up to these standards.... 

Honestly, I'm not too fond of the community, as you can see, but the game itself is always one the I come back to for some reason. 

You seem to talk about yourself a lot.

Have you ever thought about why it bothers you so much when noobs think they are awesome? Is there anything wrong with that?

It's not like they are getting cocky or anything but it seems to me they were enjoying themselves and having fun. They weren't rude and they didn't look down on others in any way did they?

You also seem to look down on others a lot too, is there a reason for this?

Do you really believe immaturity and maturity is measured by the way someone acts or by their experiences?

Edited by Zarozian

Have you ever thought about why it bothers you so much when noobs think they are awesome? Is there anything wrong with that?

idk what you're talking about,btw did i ever show you my zanuka sigil

which i don't have actually hahaha sob

All this talk about human nature.

We are all egotistical no matter how you look at it. From the moment we are born we are given a set of rules(wether bad or good in your mindset) to follow or to be obliged to. Once we have that set we go out of our ways to make sure we are viewed as better than the examples we are given. To give to a homeless person is to bring yourself to higher position than the others around you.

You think that nun is doing it only from the kindness of her heart? She is getting points in order to get into heaven and perhaps to make a name of herself as a "beacon" or something along those lines.

Is someone from al quada(however you spell that) "bad" or are they making sure they put others to shame by performing better than those around him with the same set of rules they have been thought?

Why do you do what you do? Is it truly to become a better person or to be better than those around you?

• 2 weeks later...

You seem to talk about yourself a lot.

It's not like they are getting cocky or anything but it seems to me they were enjoying themselves and having fun. They weren't rude and they didn't look down on others in any way did they?

You also seem to look down on others a lot too, is there a reason for this?

Do you really believe immaturity and maturity is measured by the way someone acts or by their experiences?

Actually yes.  People should be able to back up what they say.  They should be able to stand up for themselves with humility, and anything else would be considered arrogant, which only some people have earned the right to be.  You seemed to have missed the entire point of my post here.

I simply observe, and from talking to a lot of people, others feel the same way.  I've been around this game and have poured my heart, soul, and some very very long nights into it, learning every single mechanic, how to utilize teamwork, all the politics with dark sectors, etc.  And so when I, along with other people who have had a similar history, see a player boasting about how great they are, how great of a person they are..... well.  I don't care.  In fact, it makes me angry.  You just walked into this game, sir, and have no right to be calling yourself the best person ever to walk the solar system of warframe.

Maturity absolutely is measured by the character of the player, and whether or not he can back up what he says, is humble about the things he says, and depending on the kind of maturity we're talking about, the knowledge of the game.  I tend to respect the players who are able to speak with authority, yet have an attitude of humility and have an air of leadership.  The players who are the exact opposite?  nah.  

This community thinks they're the best thing ever...... way too much arrogance for such an ignorant group of people.  And to those who have indeed poured their heart and soul into the game, I salute you.  

Excuse me for being blunt.