Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can Warframes Morph Gender?

Tesseract7777

So back on the topic of this Post, Where is hard evidence that Each Frame is a Different Tenno

Limbo quest illustrates that the current Tenno is going to be the pilot of the newly constructed Limbo Warframe.

Operator, I think I know why we're finding Limbo parts scattered throughout the system. His final rift walk was a miscal... disaster. Well, perhaps when you occupy this frame, you will use more... caution.

At the very least the Tenno recovering the blueprints for Limbo Warframe pieces was then going to be the pilot of that Warframe, not some other Tenno. This is an in-world character talking to your in-world character.

Edited by SilentMobius

I cover this a little bit in my below theory

Inovade Theory

A tenno does not have a real in the normal sense. Instead the tenno is capable of switching bodies regardless of gender.  There is what one might call the tenno's real bod, and then the tenno's secondary body the warframe.  One might ask then how does a tenno inhabit both a male and female warframe, and where is the tenno's main body ?   To answer the first question the body inside a warframe is based on the tenno's main body, a sort of genetically created body double, but exists as what we will call a type A and a Type B body.  The type A body is the of the tenno's original gender and genetic sequence, while the type B body is if the tenno was of the opposite gender.  

To answer the second part of the question.  The tenno's primary body is kept in a cryo pod on board the orbiter.  The orbiter does not only store the tenno's primary body, but also any warframes the tenno has collected which are kept in cryo stasis as well.  Then how does a tenno change warframes on the liset ?  This is through the liset's arsenal interface.  The arsenal has a teleport function which allows it to transport warframes from the orbiter to the liset through void folding.   During this transfer the tenno's consciousness leaves one warframe and inhabits the new warframe transferred to the liset.  The swapped out warframe is then stored on the orbiter in cryo stasis to preserve the body double inside the warframe.  To the tenno this change is instantaneous.

Then in the case of mirage and limbo, how does a tenno die ?  To put this simply the tenno's consciousness is destroyed.  In both mirage and limbo's case there consciousness was destroyed, and the tenno died.   There are two other ways which we can call consciousness separation and perceived consciousness.  The perceived consciousness occurs when a tenno has used a warframe for so long that there consciousness perceives the body double as there real body.  In this case the tenno's consciousness might think that it has died if the body double is killed.  This results in the tenno actually dying.  

Consciousness separation happens when a tenno's consciousness is severed from the orbiter.  This can happen if a tenno is ripped out from there warframe, or if the warframe is compromised in some way to lock the consciousness inside of that body.  If the tenno dies in this state the tenno dies, due to the consciousness having no way to return to the original body, or to be transferred to another warframe.  While I said there were only two other ways for a tenno to die there is actually a third.  This third way is the destruction of the tenno's orbiter, which would destroy the main body and any stored warframes.  It's possible this sudden disconnection would cause the consciousness inside the body double to die, similar to some one just dropping dead.

I always went with the mentality that rather than play a singular 'Tenno', you're playing characters. Something akin to borderlands.

Although in the grand scheme of things, I always imagined that there were male and female variants of each warframe. If I recall correctly, an old version of Nyx's Chaos slapped on a female Excalibur, later Nyx.

Edited by Volothos

I think there are concept drawings going back to having different gender versions of warframes. I figure that has been dropped for now, but some are pretty interesting like 'Blaze' the male Ember, female Ash, and Nyx's design originally being the female excalibur. Neat stuff but that is more of game mechanics than lore-wise I would think.

I'm going with the brain in the jar style theory and saying there isn't enough of a Tenno to make it really matter what body type the frame has, that specific body type likely just originated from the Tenno originally used for that specific power set due to personal preference. If you were stuck in a suit of armor, wouldn't you want to personalize it to your taste? We aren't those original Tenno, we're just borrowing their style, and with that, their frame,  of choice.