Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The 'tenno Are Energy' Theory Is Busted

(XBOX)Grihaly

Did DERebecca just confirm tenno are energy?

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/493357-changyou-warframe-images-faq/#entry5511459

Why is Mag a Brunette?

She's not - any art showing flesh or hair under a Warframe suit is not canon or literal.

or at the least confirm tenno are not human, which suddenly bumps all the other theories!

All I know is that Steve once said the closest theory he'd seen was "brain in a jar", which implies that it isn't itself brain in a jar (brain and perhaps spine being switched between the frames). Which leads me to conclude that the important part of that analogy, the consciousness, is to be maintained while the brain and spine is taken out of the equation - for me, based on my readings, that gives us a soul possessing the host Warframe.

I'm still wondering if we're all like Krang, and there's a little mutated-infested void-slug inside each warframe:

krang26.jpg

Edited by (PS4)Stinja

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/493357-changyou-warframe-images-faq/#entry5511459

or at the least confirm tenno are not human, which suddenly bumps all the other theories!

Eh, I take it to mean "any art showing Master Chief's face is non-canon or literal", because chances are it's not what the devs had in mind - of course, this would be more apt if we DIDN'T know what MC looked like, but you get the analogy.

The key is that the Tenno DON'T look like that, specific people in specific frames, beneath their Warframe. Like she said this is a metaphorical "call to arms" a "you are the Tenno" thing.

Now, that doesn't mean it's NOT, I just think that it may be a little hasty to jump to conclusions based on that at this moment. Let's wait for more in-game lore.

Stating that any depictions of Tenno are non-canon is not the same as stating that Tenno do not have anything to depict.

It's just saying that "DE aren't going to define Tenno appearance" same as was said many moons ago in a devstream

Hey, Morec0, I thought you were against "Tenno are energy beings". Have I mistaken you for someone else or are you just trolling these folks?

Anyhow, just to contribute, I'd like to point out: Mirage smiled and then died, Rhino (or proto Rhino, if you will) ate meat, Vor got ascaris in our spine, we are all humanoid, we bleed, we were children. We got many solid references of us being physical beings. There is not a single reference of us being ghosts or energy. Only many, many theories that employ fair share of mental gymnastics to prove something baseless.

Edited by Prany

DERebecca states "flesh ... is not canon", which yes is not indicative in the context of art, but certainly a stronger statement and more broad than was needed to discount the chinese pictures.

And yes, i do think the Krang theory has merit.  Lore does mention tenno have feelings, flesh, eyes, can bleed and so on, which all are properties of a Krang.  

To fit in-game mechanics, the being inside a warframe suit must not be human-sized, and must be a single being for the dozens of suits a player may have.  So a suit being an ex-skeleton for a Krang makes more sense (who can swap genders and different sized frames).  

Why on the bridge of your Liset are you not in civilian dress, if tenno are "humans", and you only don your armour for a drop?  You'd think we would walk about in clothes like the rescue targets.  If we're a Krang, then it makes sense being in a warframe all the time.

Why on the bridge of your Liset are you not in civilian dress, if tenno are "humans", and you only don your armour for a drop?  You'd think we would walk about in clothes like the rescue targets.  If we're a Krang, then it makes sense being in a warframe all the time.

Uh... because all Relays that accept the Tennos and let them in are all in danger of being attacked by either the Grinneer or Corpus? Idk? It is also said that Tennos only see other Tennos as allies, the only one to trust, why would you take off your warframes to visit a Relay like a woman dressing up for shopping? 

@Prany: I'm sure he means what's inside the warframes are "consciousness", anyone here watched the movie Chappie? No? In the movie, the robot named Chappie figured out how to transfer consciousness to another body. It transferred its love ones consciousness to robot bodies so that they might live on. I think that's how I get his concept as anyway. Of course, this is his theory and I'm not fully agree with it.

Edited by AlphaWolf003

DERebecca states "flesh ... is not canon", which yes is not indicative in the context of art, but certainly a stronger statement and more broad than was needed to discount the chinese pictures.

Considering she has already tweeted, a reply some time before this point I think any percieved " strength" is just being explicit and covering bases. Not in any way affecting the liklihood of Tenno physicality.

I also believe that DE Rebecca's response is covering that DE does not depict humans inside warframes in marketing and advertising for the game. Some of the images on the chinese marketing are from Devient art sites used as far as anyone knows without permission, DE Rebecca is repeating as stated before, that Chinese Warframe, Star Armor, operates on its own lore and background and doesn't nessessarily intersect with our version of Warframe. That seems to be all that is said honestly, now if this means we are 'brains in jars' like DE Steve jokingly said that is as far as he thinks of it; that is cool as long as there is a reason that we would be using human forms when superior animal shapes exist, even if that reason is just the Orokin Elite having a dehumanized human form obsession.

On of the misguided conceits of anime like Baoh and Guyver is that humans are on their own the most dangerous lifeforms, and I strongly agree that these kind of anime were used as inspirations; but in any situation where the Tenno could easily just be inserted into stronger combat forms, any warrior worth their name would use the strongest tools available to resolve the conflict with as little waste as possible, the human form is not one of the strongest animal shapes available. Hek, our jaws and hand grip alone are pathetic even compared to close genetic cousins like Gorilla and Chimps. Even a situation involving a brain in a jar scenario then, there would have to be some reason the warframes have a human shape, gender shape, and according to Vor and Lt Kril, a flesh and blood body inside the suit itself. Mind, that doesn't mean the body is the Tenno, it could be part of the suit or something grown by the Technocyte to complete the biology of the template's original host; but there would have to be some reason for our shape and the shape of the warframes.

Pre-mutation self image issues?  Ease of traversal and interaction?  by adopting a general form:  from opening doors in corpus ships, to taking contracts, to ninja-ism sneaking in air ducts.  All not possible if you take a form like a Zanuka or tracked vehicle or 20' mech.

Uh... because all Relays that accept the Tennos and let them in are all in danger of being attacked by either the Grinneer or Corpus? 

Not Relay's, on your ship, the Liset.  There's noone about except Ordis, and transmissions from Lotus, etc  

If you've ever ridden a motorcycle with ATGATT you'll know when you get home you want to take it off.  Not stride about fully kitted up.  It seems very odd, if we're humanoid, to not change into civvies to check the Foundry, then pat your kubrow, then check your inbox.  Swap to your armour when there's anyone else about, sure, but when completely alone?  Odd.

I'm still thinking Krang-theory fits best for swapping between your small Nova warframe, then into your Rhino warframe.  There's no way Rhino's biceps will fit into Mirage's arm armour;  or Hydroid's legs into Nova's.  Or any of the other height / head / neck / waist combinations.  And there sure doesn't seem to be room for 23 tenno to live abroad on Liset.

Or Tenno are energy obviously... ;-)  Anyway, just curious is all.

Edited by (PS4)Stinja

Hey, Morec0, I thought you were against "Tenno are energy beings". Have I mistaken you for someone else or are you just trolling these folks?

Anyhow, just to contribute, I'd like to point out: Mirage smiled and then died, Rhino (or proto Rhino, if you will) ate meat, Vor got ascaris in our spine, we are all humanoid, we bleed, we were children. We got many solid references of us being physical beings. There is not a single reference of us being ghosts or energy. Only many, many theories that employ fair share of mental gymnastics to prove something baseless.

I have been, but the more I think about it the more I lean towards the "soul" theory - "energy being" implies we have a physical form without the Warframe.

I prefer the idea that we have meaty bits, but if the lore is going in the other direction... It all depends on what we get in terms of progression and how we get it. I have a written theory, but I'm still working on it.

Pre-mutation self image issues?  Ease of traversal and interaction?  by adopting a general form:  from opening doors in corpus ships, to taking contracts, to ninja-ism sneaking in air ducts.  All not possible if you take a form like a Zanuka or tracked vehicle or 20' mech.

Not Relay's, on your ship, the Liset.  There's noone about except Ordis, and transmissions from Lotus, etc  

If you've ever ridden a motorcycle with ATGATT you'll know when you get home you want to take it off.  Not stride about fully kitted up.  It seems very odd, if we're humanoid, to not change into civvies to check the Foundry, then pat your kubrow, then check your inbox.  Swap to your armour when there's anyone else about, sure, but when completely alone?  Odd.

I'm still thinking Krang-theory fits best for swapping between your small Nova warframe, then into your Rhino warframe.  There's no way Rhino's biceps will fit into Mirage's arm armour;  or Hydroid's legs into Nova's.  Or any of the other height / head / neck / waist combinations.  And there sure doesn't seem to be room for 23 tenno to live abroad on Liset.

Or Tenno are energy obviously... ;-)  Anyway, just curious is all.

Question is, why the hell would you change to dresses and suits? There is no Wardrobe department on your liset, you don't have time to go shopping and wear normal regular human clothings, you must always be ready for missions. They've been having the frame on for centuries, even when they sleep, I'm sure you can relate to it when you have something close to you taking it away would make you feel kind of empty.

And I've already said this over and over, but my thought is that it's just the freedom DE gave us to play whatever warframes we want rather than making us stick to specific frames, that'd be too restrictive and boring.

She said it's not canon, meaning, it's not 'official', or unofficial, because it didn't come from DE's mouth, not denying that they're not. Just thought I'd clear that out.

No, it's basically that down below:

Eh, I take it to mean "any art showing Master Chief's face is non-canon or literal", because chances are it's not what the devs had in mind - of course, this would be more apt if we DIDN'T know what MC looked like, but you get the analogy.

The key is that the Tenno DON'T look like that, specific people in specific frames, beneath their Warframe. Like she said this is a metaphorical "call to arms" a "you are the Tenno" thing.

Now, that doesn't mean it's NOT, I just think that it may be a little hasty to jump to conclusions based on that at this moment. Let's wait for more in-game lore.

Consider for a moment this.

She starfish that became the Sentients broke the 7 Principles.

Lets speculate.

The Principles say "Life created that gains Sentience will rebell against its Creators."

From the Crewman Synthesis:

"What will prevent it from turning against us, luke the seven Principles say?"

So.

Tenno are Technocyte. They are Legion. Millions of nano-machines working as a Hive, creating machine-flesh able to take any shape it needs to.

But there is a Flaw, like the starfish. Not Void-weakness. Human-body, specifically Warframes: Orokin and Void-radiated hosts.

The Tenno look human. The appear human; the children found on the Zariman APPEARED to be human children. Clearly they were no longer.

The Tenno are Symbiotes, and must have a Technocyte and void-body to function. If the Flaw did not exist, they would have violated the Seven Principles by posessing Orokin bodies.

The Flaw meant they built frames AROUND them, a conduit for their AFFLICTION. They were rejects, twisted, abominations just like the starfish.

Dwell on that for a while, my fellow Lorists.

On of the misguided conceits of anime like Baoh and Guyver is that humans are on their own the most dangerous lifeforms,

Actually I think the myth is the other way round - i.e. it's a bit of a myth that our native human form isn't viable in nature. 

IOW, we can't run as fast as cheetahs or antelope, certainly, but we can run faster than most animals.  We aren't as big as elephants, but we're pretty big as animals go.  We're not as strong as apes, but we are stronger than most animals.

The point is, we're not best at any particular thing (you can always find an animal that's better than us at something, apart from thinking, which we are best at), but physically, we are a pretty good animal at everything, i.e. we are generalists. 

No other animal is as generally good at physical stuff, they all specialize to their niche.

Actually I think the myth is the other way round - i.e. it's a bit of a myth that our native human form isn't viable in nature. 

IOW, we can't run as fast as cheetahs or antelope, certainly, but we can run faster than most animals.  We aren't as big as elephants, but we're pretty big as animals go.  We're not as strong as apes, but we are stronger than most animals.

The point is, we're not best at any particular thing (you can always find an animal that's better than us at something, apart from thinking, which we are best at), but physically, we are a pretty good animal at everything, i.e. we are generalists. 

No other animal is as generally good at physical stuff, they all specialize to their niche.

Now if only we could learn to be immune to radiation... xD

Just to throw this into the mix;

Why is Mag a Brunette? She's not - any art showing flesh or hair under a Warframe suit is not canon or literal.

This was part of the Changyou FAQ posted. I find it interesting that they specifically mention flesh and hair.

Hue hue hue... the plot thickens.

Just to throw this into the mix;

This was part of the Changyou FAQ posted. I find it interesting that they specifically mention flesh and hair.

Hue hue hue... the plot thickens.

I think it was to be taken like Morec0 said on the previous page. But also it's answering "Why is Mag a brunette?" So, there's your flesh and hair :P

The human body is viable in nature but i would say we are not stronger or faster than most. Our advantage is our intelligence AND versatility.

We will as soon as I figure out how to sex up a tardigrade.

If that doesn't work, find a way to get them to live inside and off of your body. They could swarm you while forming a layer over your own skin with the pure density of their numbers.

Edited by EmptyDevil

If that doesn't work, find a way to get them to live inside and off of your body. They could swarm you while forming a layer over your own skin with the pure density of their numbers.

Hmm... Interesting...

Now, what kind of massage oil do you think they'd like?