Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Weapons Degrade Over Time? (Repair Mechanic)

Institute-Marksman

I was just watching how in 'The Long Dark', wherein items degrade over time, something I've always thought of but never seen in any game (exept for Kubrows).

I was wondering if that'd be a nice addition to Warframe weapons. It degrades over time. The minimum is about 50%, in which the damage is reduced by 30%, the gun is more likely to fire stray bullets. It's appearance also becomes worn.

Any weapon types that degrade faster, slower, or not at all?

Well, Melee weapons are built resistent, and will degrade slower then, say, rifles.
Every weapon degrades, and needs the same materials as it was contructed with to repair it.
(Note: This does not involve Rare loot, such as Neurodes, Neural Sensors or Argon Crystals)

What about costs?

Anyone with a good amount of resources will be able to afford it.

What things do not degrade?
Warframes, Sentinels and their weapons do not degrade.

Mechanics:
Decay is counted per melee hit or per shot for ranged weapons. AKA the more kills you make, the faster the weapon decays. For melee, I was thinking about 0.5% decay per 20 hits. For ranged weapons(may vary in classes) about 1% per 45 shots.

Edited by Institute-Marksman

*Ahem*

NO. NO. NO. GOD NOW.

Weapon degradation was my biggest gripe with my favorite Gameboy game, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones. You just couldn't consistently use good stuff cause it broke so damn fast.

.5% decay per 20 hits? Try a 20 minute survival sword alone with any decent speed weapon. Your weapon is gonna break halfway through. Extended missions would become impossible. 1% per 45 shots? GG auto rifles, GG. That's almost 2% per clip of a Braton Prime.

I just fail to see any point at all in this mechanics that would enhance or balance gameplay.

Edited by Magneu

You might need some flame repellent for the people who don't get to play much / are in general lazy. That being said give us a use for all these alloy plates, sure I'm in.

EDIT: Just in case... /sarcasmoff

Edited by Stratego89

You might need some flame repellent for the people who don't get to play much / are in general lazy. That being said give us a use for all these alloy plates, sure I'm in.

I have millions on millions of alloy plate, but the thing is why would anyone want this mechanic? There is literally no argument that supports it.

Agreed I see no sense in this mechanic other than adding more grind for the newer players and if DE decides that these materials use ferrite or spores something we already use alot of for restores then definitely NO you would have a resource problem. Besides that will give us players that collect weapons currently have over 200+ weapons in my inventory even more problems why would you even suggest something like this?  No sense or use or place in it in game. How would you feel if you had to actively maintain over 200+ weapons.

I am not agree the degradation of weapons because a lot of time to build one and the fact you can pay for it with real life money this makes so absurd the idea because then we have a game which called "War-Z frame what do you doing?" Buy a pack one shot and you lost everything.

The degradation of weapons could work if we can repair them by the time.

Also the Kubrows should't be degraded because this game is not a tamagochi and most of us just want to had fun with kubrows instead of keep them alive at any cost.

Dead Island, Dark Souls 1 & 2, Bloodborne, Vindictus, and Dying Light are a few games that come to mind that have a degrade system. When the degrade system is in place, it had 1 of 2 outcomes: 

1.)The weapon degrade became so heavy that it hampered weapon use, encouraging the player to bring multiples of the same weapon rather than diversify their arsenal.

2.)The degrade system was so insignificant that most players forgot about it, as it took too long for the weapon degrade to pose any real threat during combat, and all that can be blamed is poor weapon maintenence when it breaks mid battle.

Bottomline, unless its something revolutionary, DE should keep their heads out of any type of item degredation relating to the player core arsenal, as it hasn't proved effective in other titles and contributed nothing to gameplay.

Hmmmm. If this mechanic was in the game from the get go then I don't think many people would be against it(at least not vocally). If something has been a certain way for a while and there is a sudden change then people will get out their +5 Steel Long-Keyboard and +4 Keyboard Warrior set and go to town. Look at how people reacted to paid mods.

So, I think this would be something interesting to implement but we won't know how well it would do unless we have experienced it and have some solid information.

No sorry OP

it would jsut be a hindrance. What on earth would it bring to the game.?

And given the length of ome missions and the amount of enemies; our guns will deteriotate fast

it's another no from me 

There we go again another guy who wants to to warframe to warface a similar named game with pve and PvP function but then comes the ever degrading weapons....Dude its a 100 centuries from today even dead plants don't decay leave alone weapons

If you really want to play weapons maintenance, I would suggest maintaining weapons gives you a damage buff. Don't maintain your gear, perfectly fine. Your weapons perform like now. Maintain your weapon before a mission, and you get a damage boost of 20% for the next five missions, win or lose.

That's a plus, not a nerf, and doesn't penalise people who don't want to and gives meticulous players a boost.

Win win I think, but I could be wrong.

No, this idea is so bad I'd think it was a troll post if it weren't for all you wrote.

Weapon degradation is an old mechanic. It pick up when MMOs did away with expierence penalties but had to have some penalty for dying. Most repair is a minor cash drain and has little to no value. I believe that mechanic will be seen less and less in coming MMOs.