Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

H1Z1 Dev Thinks Paid Mods Was A Good Idea And Turok Re-Release Confirmed...sorta

TheErebus.

http://www.pcgamer.com/daybreak-boss-john-smedley-paid-mods-were-an-awesome-idea/

So John Smedley, one of the devs behind H1Z1 (Wow, they are popping up quite often now) has stated that he wished Valve stood strong with paid mods. He says that he supports companies that listen, but doesn't agree with the end choice Valve made.

And finally:

TUROK RE-RELEASE HAS BEEN CONFIRMED...sorta.

http://www.gameplanet.com.au/news/g554be8a415a5c/Turok-Dinosaur-Hunter-re-release-coming-to-PC/?utm_source=geo

Now I say "sorta", because this is the only site I can find that confirms this (thank you Pharen), I'll be on the look out for more confirmation on this.

Paid mods aren't a bad idea imo.

But skyrim's modding community was litterally "too old for this sh*t"  , it was well established. it was waaaaay to late to add somethign like that without serious conflict

Valve's execution was terrible.

Paid mods will work better on other games

Paid mods aren't a bad idea imo.

But skyrim's modding community was litterally "too old for this sh*t"  , it was well established. it was waaaaay to late to add somethign like that without serious conflict

Valve's execution was terrible.

Paid mods will work better on other games

That and from what I read they weren't going to moderate it either. Pretty much asking for S#&$. If they were to release Elder Scrolls 6. Then sure paid mods; but steam should not be trusted to properly manage this stuff.

The mod paid idea not bad but the modders cannot guarante the mod quality or the compatibility issues if a game updated. The idea basicly is not bad because the modders often can do same quality and same long hour works on games and they doesn't given a cent for their work and with this option at least the modders also should have been given some minor fee.

The donation system also not bad but I can imagine how many peoples will give any fee for mods. The reality is the peoples doesn't want pay for things and want everything freely. This game also a good example for this and a lot of ftp games do this but the bait is the free and you pay more than a monthly fee system but the peoples hate the word : PAY so that's why they choose ftp games.

As for mmog games the sub fee system and ftp with moderations could work only the buy once is impossible if the developers want support and money for their work. There is no any guarantee for keeping the servers running if there is no a continous money source and the ftp games use this recipes but with the logic you pay for stuffs a relatively high price and that keep the devs alive.

In WF this pricing is horribly so I think that the slots/cosmetic stuffs the continous money sources because only the impatient peoples buy weapons/frames from the shop whom cannot wait/grind for it.

This option to grind is halfly good halfly bad option because the grind can overrun the fun factor and in the end you doesn't enjoy your works fruits because there is always another/better stuff for grind.

PS: back to the donation is a little bit sounds like support the beggars and put 1 cent to the hat. Further thougth there is no way to be useful because really really less peoples will give any donation unless you aren't a millionare who like to helping peoples.

I am also modder but I am still learning the basics but I think that if a person good enough as a modder for later become a game dev it could be a good jump point if he/she can sell it's works. I still doing for hobby and for make the game better.

So who like Kohan2?

Edited by Sziklamester

A donation system would have been SO much better for the modding scene. You have NO idea about the quality of the mod you're buying, and valve's supposed 100% refund policy is something I don't entirely trust from my experience with their customer service.

Sure, you can do that for Nexus...

But, just hypothetical questions, how do you think that would work with Steam mods and workshops? Donations before able to access the workshop or download the mods? How do you think people would suddenly react? and/or, will every mod creators in there get portion of that escrow account? Or donation button with each mod creator... and money back guarantee? Steam takes some portions of service costs?

But, just hypothetical questions, how do you think that would work with Steam mods and workshops? Donations before able to access the workshop or download the mods? How do you think people would suddenly react? and/or, will every mod creators in there get portion of that escrow account? Or donation button with each mod creator... and money back guarantee? Steam takes some portions of service costs?

On rare occasions for mods like Moonpath to Elsewyr and Amidian Book of Silence I would donate. But nothing over $3.

On top of that you could make a copy of the file and then ask for a refund. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/daybreak-boss-john-smedley-paid-mods-were-an-awesome-idea/

So John Smedley, one of the devs behind H1Z1 (Wow, they are popping up quite often now) has stated that he wished Valve stood strong with paid mods. He says that he supports companies that listen, but doesn't agree with the end choice Valve made.

And finally:

TUROK RE-RELEASE HAS BEEN CONFIRMED...sorta.

http://www.gameplanet.com.au/news/g554be8a415a5c/Turok-Dinosaur-Hunter-re-release-coming-to-PC/?utm_source=geo

Now I say "sorta", because this is the only site I can find that confirms this (thank you Pharen), I'll be on the look out for more confirmation on this.

I think it's a good idea... but the only problem, and a major one, is no accountability and control systems in place. And Valve's return policy for it is a joke.

It can easily be abused. Someone could just put some trash up there to sell and charge you arms and legs for it. Even a legit mod creator can charge you again after an update, or just sell you another updated version of the same one again.

Obviously it'd be donations AFTER you downloaded the mod and ENTIRELY up to the player. Don't want to donate? Cool, don't donate. That's what a donation is, something given voluntarily. Donations are obviously some small portion to steam (for giving access to a wider playerbase for modders, maybe 10% tops), rest to the mod devs. Obviously it'd be shared equally for the mod creators, anything after that is up to them to discuss and figure out whatever problems they have. As for a refund, F*** even trying to decide on how to figure that out, while being fair to all parties.

I'm not here to fix the entire thing, this would have to be a discussion between Valve, and the modding communities to figure out. I'm simply the consumer who thinks paying for mods BEFORE getting to try them out is ridiculous, and will not support any of that bullS#&$ by Valve, or anyone for that matter.

And yet I would never consider selling my mods, I would only ask for donations if people want to

This ^ I'm more likely to donate to a mod I like then shell out some dosh for a mod before I try it.

The skyrim paid mod shop was incredibly easy to abuse, from stealing mods (which Valve can only do so much about) to possibly being the next TF2 key money laundering scheme type of thing

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

the only problem I had with paid mods was that it would water down the mods being made.

If a mod builder can make money but steam only stocks certain types of mods that means those kinds of mods steam won't stock won't be made anymore.

No more adult mods, no more gorey mods etc.

What's really interesting is that Bethesda's ONLY non-negotiable stipulation for paid Skyrim mods was "no curation whatsoever."

Valve's flat corporate structure isn't really suited to the sort of decision-making that keeps ideas like this from sucking horribly, either. Their initial implementation was awful, but I wish the experiment had been allowed to run.

It seems as though most of the "outrage" came from the segment of the community (if you're generous enough to include them in it) that I really don't want representing game hobbyists/enthusiasts. There was a lot of garbage thrown by the "takers," people whose only real interest was to continue getting free stuff. The rapidity with which Valve caved suggests that this was the feedback they listened to, instead of the reasoned discussion from genuinely passionate and knowledgeable voices.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest listening to TotalBiscuit's interview with Robin Scott (owner/admin of Nexus Mods) and Nick McCaskey (developer of Skyrim's SMIM mod). Get cozy, because the whole thing is two hours long, but it's very much worth listening to.