The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Events And Special Equipment, A Recap And Some Ideas/solutions To A Few Problems.

_Absolom_

Things I'd like to be clear before I start this topic:

-I'll keep it as short as possible, without a wall of text. Might fail in this aspect.

-2 years of experience, Mastery 17 player here. I'm not posting because of jealousy about equipment I did not get because I wasn't playing back in the day.

-INTRO-

Events were mostly a fun part of Warframe in my opinion. The dialogues, lore, and of course, the equipment we got from 'em. But they raised problems. Some of them were: 

-Wasted content, huge effort put into an event which closed after one week.

-"Exclusive" weapons like weapons and cosmetics were not obtainable.

-New players not being able to experience the world as old ones.

-New players missing out on lots of lore!

In this topic, I'd like to debate about possible solutions to these problems, and raise the attention of DE to them.

-MAIN-

Steve recently mentioned(need to find exact moment in the stream, will link when done) that they were playing around with the idea of playable flashbacks. Not only would these be a great way of introducing more lore of the Tenno's past, but also make old events replayable and event equipment obtainable. 

Here's a list of what event equipment there were available in the past, and whether they should or shouldn't return, in chronological order. (in my opinion

SHOULDN'T COME BACK:

-Lato Vandal (was given as gift to Closed Beta testers)

-Primed Chamber (The top 100 earned theirs in the Informant event, plus DE already mentioned possible returns.)

SHOULD COME BACK:

-Braton Vandal (It was available upon transitioning to Open Beta. Seeing as the game is still in Open Beta, it could make a return. The weapon is not game breaking OP or bears as much status as a Lato Vandal, I see no harm in it.)

-Snipetron Vandal (Event was about stealth and being quick, this would still be a great thing, even if it was simple.)

-Strun Wraith (20 minutes of survival while the event was fresh, was pretty hard at the very first try. Maybe increased difficulty could help this when replayed for the S.W.)

-Machete Wraith&Prova Vandal (With a less grindy event phrasing...the Gravidus Dilemma was one hell of a painful event.)

-Wraith Twin Vipers (The Cicero Crisis was a very good event, bringing it back even for one replayable mission would be a good move.)

-Gorgon Wraith (Hijacking a fomorian core and keeping it safe was a challenge that required teamwork, players could learn from it these days.)

-Rakta Syandana (Rescue 2.0 was a great thing. This item could be given away after a Rescue tutorial that has been completed with excellent score, for example, sneaking through the level undetected.)

-Latron Wraith

-"Ties that bind" event. Come on, it's Darvo lore. People need Darvo lore.

-Sheev

-Event Badges (They were easy to get cosmetics without any special effects, save for the Quantum Emblem.)

HOW I SEE THIS HAPPENING

Somewhere post the Simaris quest where you get access to the Simulacrum, a new quest called "The echoes of the past" could be added to the Codex. This one would give players access to another special aspect of the Sanctuary, where they are put into some kind of cryo-sleep and are able to relive the memories of other Tenno(Players who did the events.) Assassin's Creed, Animus, anyone? No?

Q: But how does reliving memories give us access to actual equipment?

A: Remember how you could scan Chroma and find damaged memory segments in the Simaris event? Similar to that. You do these events, and in the time you are playing them, Simaris/Ordis analyze data of special equipment to form blueprints of them.

Q: But muh exclusives! I grinded way too hard for these! Why would plebs be able to get them?

A: Would you deny them the chance to work just as hard and be rewarded?

WHAT I NEED FROM YOU GUYS

Feedback. Please, do share your thoughts below!

EDIT #1: Added Sheev to the list.

Edited by Soulswipe

Problem with this is that it really kills the main purpose of giving out the items as an incentive to do the event.

If you gave people an unlimited time window, there would be no rush or a feeling of NEEDING to finish the event if you could just shrug and do it later.

Any item you can't get any more should be turned into a skin for its base version (Other way around for the Boar).

Then I think the only item that would still then need to be re-added is the Snipetron.

No to playable flashbacks, yes to returning events.

The playable flashback was just mentioned as something that was discussed, not seriously considering adding it. It was involving Orokin era history that pre-dates the events of the game.

Much more logically, the events would just be incorporated into the questline into something resembling a story mode.

Just look at the rich history Alad V has

- He is alluded to menacingly in a letter he wrote during Arid Fear event

- We have the choice to work for him or against him during Gravidus

- Upon his defeat, Alad V goes into hiding, and we have work as a community to expose his location

- Finally, the long awaited battle with him and Zanuka, freeing the captive Tenno, Valkyr

- Alad V is discovered to still be alive during the Suspicious Shipment mini-event, along with alluding to him experimenting with Infested

- Alad V's plan comes to fruition in Operation Breeding Grounds where we deal with Infested-Corpus hybrids

- Alad V solidifies his Mutalist Empire in the Mutalist Incursion where we hunt new strains of infested, upon defeating them, Alad goes into hiding again

- We hunt for Alad V a second time, and try to stop his Mutalist Empire, killing a Mutalist Mesa he controlled in the process

- Finally, the long awaited re-match with Mutalist Alad V, perhaps the last time we'll see him

To a new player, all that is compressed into to boss battles with no context. They would see Alad V and go "who's this guy with the dog" and then later, against Mutalist Alad V think "oh that's the guy from before, that's funny". That entire saga that was built on Alad V is lost, which is a damn shame.

Bring those quests back, and allow new players to progress through them so they can experience the rise and fall of Alad V like the rest of us. 

Problem with this is that it really kills the main purpose of giving out the items as an incentive to do the event.

If you gave people an unlimited time window, there would be no rush or a feeling of NEEDING to finish the event if you could just shrug and do it later.

I do see your point, but what about people who don't have access to Warframe during a certain event, however dedicated or skilled they are? Power outages, illness, vacations, school exams or business trips, to name a few things.

Any item you can't get any more should be turned into a skin for its base version (Other way around for the Boar).

Then I think the only item that would still then need to be re-added is the Snipetron.

They removed the Snpietron for lore purposes, as they didn't see fit that a Corpus weapon used bullets as projectiles. Which I don't really understand when I look at the MK-1 Braton, the very first weapon most players got their hands on.

Because everyone want the event weapons only for the cosmetic factor and certainly not for the stats, right?

Treat event weapons like event mods.

Don't re-release them for a pissload of time.

Even though I like the idea of bringing back old event Equipment and support it, I would go as far and say ALL event equipment should be returned as a quest reward/reward for replaying the event. (Yes even Lato Vandal should be available for people who did not participate in closed beta)

BUT, and this is a big but (Pun intended): you should get blueprins of the weapons, not the weapon itself with slot and potato

If you can make everybody agree that they loose the better stats that event weapons have compared to their regular version I am ok.

And what about Sheev? there is no "non-Event"-Counterpart for that weapon

Edited by Helch0rn

-New players not being able to experience the world as old ones.

They shouldn't. New players are what they are called. New

And secondly. Event weapons should stay as event weapons. Re-releasing them gives us no incentive to grind and get them from events in the first place. Event weapons and emblems resemble those who took part in it. It should stay that way. 

As a new player, a collector, *and* a lore fan, I love this thread. "Oh, no, you can never get all this content ever again" is not fun. Nor is "cheat all the old players by getting all this crap for free". If I have to work through hard mode to get all the stuff I missed last time, that's perfectly fine by me - lore and loot are a great incentive.

That said, some things to note:

If the Lato Vandal ever comes back it should follow the same principle: Make the rest of us work for it. The vets got it as a gift, doesn't mean we have to. Make it a reward for playing a 'retro build' mode of Warframe or something where you have to do stuff the old way (no idea if that makes sense, just throwing ideas at the wall here).

Primed Chamber is one of those items the devs have already given out again and talked about rereleasing, which means there's no reason for it not to be on the list.

If cosmetic items really are just a matter of bling - and if the rest of us have to do the event again anyway, same difficulty but fewer bugs - why not? For something like the Quantum Badge, well, you still have to be good at the event. Tactical alerts you still have to be capable of doing - even with something like Escalation unlocked a lot of people just aren't going to be able to do it, but for those who are really dedicated 'maxing out' the Stratos or getting the Rift should be options when they're prepared for it.

Also, my suggestion for dealing with the equally unfun alternatives of "unlimited time" and "let's take forever between rereleases"? Put them all on short, but constant cycles in chronological order. Same amount of time pressure during each iteration - x event is available this week, go get it - but if you missed it this week, you can at least wait for it to cycle back in next month or so. Also opens things up for the vets who accidentally or intentionally lost their event items for one reason or another. For the pure lore side of things, having at least easily accessible 'recap' codex entries written in the narrative form would be nice to have alongside playing through everything again. Event mods... honestly, they'd be more fun to have in event replays than as crapshoot Spy or Baro items.

Blueprints I'd be fine with, but I don't see why it's necessary.

And secondly. Event weapons should stay as event weapons. Re-releasing them gives us no incentive to grind and get them from events in the first place. Event weapons and emblems resemble those who took part in it. It should stay that way. 

By your logic rereleased event mods should be removed from the game. everybody who got them from Baro/Spy 2.0/whereever should have them removed from their inventory. Just because they did not play the event.

So because they're new they should be missing important details such as what happened with the events?

Also DE already said event weapons will be eventually returning, too bad for you.

I'm all about the replaying of the events, but like what some other people mentioned, the event weapons should not come back.. As in, by re-doing this old events, the players shouldn't be able to obtain it, or else there won't be an incentive to grind and do the event itself.

If DE wants to release these event-exclusive events like what they did for Snipetron/Snipetron Vandal, sure, but I do not think it is a good idea to get these weapons available right off the bat from playing the events.

I'm all about the replaying of the events, but like what some other people mentioned, the event weapons should not come back.. As in, by re-doing this old events, the players shouldn't be able to obtain it, or else there won't be an incentive to grind and do the event itself.

If DE wants to release these event-exclusive events like what they did for Snipetron/Snipetron Vandal, sure, but I do not think it is a good idea to get these weapons available right off the bat from playing the events.

But that would basically be pointless, wouldn't it? "Oh, here's this massive grind all the old players did, you should totally do it too. But when you do it, your reward is this giant pile of nothing! And dialogue! That's what you get for being late to the party, suckers! What, you had work or school last time, or you got sick for a week? Too bad, you should have warframed harder."

I sincerely hope this illustrates why that's a terrible idea.

Besides, there is an incentive for doing the original event. Even a few months' head start before an event item gets added to some sort of internal rotation pool would be a long time to enjoy the items, and in most cases it's less "a few months" and more "over a year". What do you, personally, lose at this point now that you've had your fun? You still had it first. It isn't Excal/Skana/Lato Prime or anything extreme like that.

(And maybe if more people actually had the things more people would care about fixing old broken weapons like the Strun Wraith, instead of those threads just pissing off the half of the playerbase that doesn't have most of the weapons being discussed...)

There we go with that negative attitude. Why deny others their part of the fun? Besides, I don't think that when you use a Gorgon Wraith in a T4 survival, everyone's gonna fanboy all around you for having completed a singular mission. Read OP, I stated that emblems should not make a return, but most weapons should. That, and the fact that the progression system is based on how much equipment you got to L30; denying pieces of equipment is denying player progression.

By your logic rereleased event mods should be removed from the game. everybody who got them from Baro/Spy 2.0/whereever should have them removed from their inventory. Just because they did not play the event.

QFT right here. My man, you get it.

So because they're new they should be missing important details such as what happened with the events?

Also DE already said event weapons will be eventually returning, too bad for you.

You two get a cookie for being positive:

cookie.png

And what about Sheev?

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet, totally forgot about that thing!

So I did miss out on a weapon...damn it. Thanks for reminding me! Here's a cookie for you too!

cookie.png

Edited by Soulswipe

No Braton vandal, no Lato Vandal.

Then you get my vote.

Lato Vandal is completely understandable as a gift for CB players, but may I ask what's the big deal with the Braton Vandal? Seriously you just had to be on in the one day and spend one credit for it. Wow, huge effort right there, that surely has a big meaning.

Lato Vandal is completely understandable as a gift for CB players, but may I ask what's the big deal with the Braton Vandal? Seriously you just had to be on in the one day and spend one credit for it. Wow, huge effort right there, that surely has a big meaning.

I don't have Braton vandal as well.

But I understand it's importance to those fellas who play WF from CBT to Open BT.

But later could be a very long time. isn't Cicero crisis mods took a couple months to get into the drop table? and even tethra's doom mods.  its been a year(i think) since the event ended and the mods are still not in the drop table.

On topic:

i kinda agree, i think giving weapons for a limited time only is a bad idea. i'm all about cosmetics( not like the rakata syndana,it look dull for me). new fans are joining all the time, block them from content is a bad idea.

if old weapons could come back from time to time, it would be a great opportunity for new player (and old ones.but didn't manage to get their hands on the reward) to get old weapons.  

Edited by EranTerran

No Braton vandal, no Lato Vandal.

Then you get my vote.

Why no Braton Vandal? It's a weapon for Open Beta testers, just like the Lato Vandal is a weapon for Closed Beta testers.

Now let me remind you that the game is still in Open Beta. Thus, we still have all the rights to buy a Braton Vandal.

Also read OP, the first thing I mentioned not to come back was the LV.

for the most part, no one cares about lore, its all about pokemon gotta catch em all. lets be real about it.

do the time to get the time

But if you want to catch them all, isn't it infuriating that it's actually impossible to get them all? Your points kind of go against each other.

Also, I believe that many loyal players care about lore. 

I don't have Braton vandal as well.

But I understand it's importance to those fellas who play WF from CBT to Open BT.

Again, we're still in Open Beta....

I don't understand how fancy weapon skins start such massive flamewars. It's bling. Warframe is Pay to Bling.

And events gave us free Bling. Who could say no to another chance of free Bling?