Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is There Any Way To Move Warframe To A Different Drive?

Evanescent

Question

Hi guys, I installed the  game when I was just starting out, and installed it on the C: Drive..

Now I look at the state of the space and I have 50 GB open in Drive E but 9 GB in drive C.

Anyway I can move the files to E without screwing the game up or reinstalling?

Help would be appreciated!

12 answers to this question

the easiest (okay i lied, more like fastest) method of successfully doing this would be to open the Registry Editor, search for... let's go with Warframe, and skim down the entries that the Search function finds, each one that you find referencing where Warframe is installed to currently, change it to where you'd like Warframe to reside instead.

once you've done all of that, cut and paste Warframe to the new location, and it should be happy.

technically you could do these two steps in either order.

Edit:

Game executable and profiles are stored somewhere inside Users folder in C: anyway.

your Local Settings are, but the executables and other 'runnable' files haven't been stored in your AppData for quite some time. they're in a sub folder in the Warframe directory.

if you have such files residing there, if you look at Created / Modified date, you'll probably notice that they haven't been touched in... a long damn time. :)

Edited by taiiat

the easiest (okay i lied, more like fastest) method of successfully doing this would be to open the Registry Editor, search for... let's go with Warframe, and skim down the entries that the Search function finds, each one that you find referencing where Warframe is installed to currently, change it to where you'd like Warframe to reside instead.

once you've done all of that, cut and paste Warframe to the new location, and it should be happy.

technically you could do these two steps in either order.

Alright, I'll try that!

Total PC noob here.

Eeeeeh....this is embarrassing....

How do I find the registry again?

Edited by Evanescent

if not using steam.

Copy this folder - C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Warframe to the same location on the new drive.

Then copy your C:\Program Files\Warframe (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Warframe for 64bit) to the new drive

Right click your desktop shortcut to warframe.  Where it says target.  Change the drive letter so it points to new drive.

Click ok, fire up the game.

Edited by shinebox
  • Like 1

if not using steam.

Copy this folder - C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Warframe to the same location on the new drive.

Then copy your C:\Program Files\Warframe (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Warframe for 64bit) to the new drive

Right click your desktop shortcut to warframe.  Where it says target.  Change the drive letter so it points to new drive.

Click ok, fire up the game.

Will try, thanks!

Edit:

Should both folders be placed in same folder in the drive?

Edited by Evanescent

i should add, that the folder structure/path on the new drive will have to match the old.

So you may need to make some folders on the new drive, or if your Users folder isnt massive, just copy the entire Users folder over to the new drive.

Then if no program files folder on the new drive, make one, and then paste the Warframe folder from the old program files into the new drives program files folder you made.

i should add, that the folder structure/path on the new drive will have to match the old.

So you may need to make some folders on the new drive, or if your Users folder isnt massive, just copy the entire Users folder over to the new drive.

Then if no program files folder on the new drive, make one, and then paste the Warframe folder from the old program files into the new drives program files folder you made.

You mean like if it was, say, C:\Cache\Warframe the new path will have to read as E:\Cache\Warframe ?