Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is It That In Every Sci-Fi Movie/game

Renathy

In Ender's Game, the Formics gave up and then the humans pretty much drove them to extinction over the fear of a second attack.

Also the Vortigaunts from Half-Life redirected their attention from fighting the humans to assisting them in their new fight against the Combine after the Nihilanth was destroyed.

As such, there are definitely ways to demonstrate aliens giving up while also maintaining conflict in a plot. The only reason we see so many returns is because it's easier and more linear to write for.

Edited by Krion112

Because warframe would be stupid if it went like this:

Grineer: We're giving a cool anklet to that warframe showing him our frindship.

Tenno: *Shoot grineer in the head.*

Other grineer: Not cool. I'm going to defriend you on facebook and I'll move to another galaxy *flies off*

GLOBAL PEACE ACHIEVED

Well what would YOU suggest the adversary to be?

I didn't really have anything in mind, when I posted this joke. Like Krio said, there are times when the human race is depicted as the unrelenting opponent.

My question is why do so many science fiction universes have some form of space-zombie. 

Warframe = Technocyte Infestation
Halo = Flood
Mass Effect = Reapers (their slave units and technically the big ol' squidships themselves)
Dead Space = Necromorphs
Destiny = Hive
40K = Necrons
Star Trek = Borg (kinda bionic zombz)

Edited by Aattoman

My question is why do so many science fiction universes have some form of space-zombie.

Warframe = Technocyte Infestation

Halo = Flood

Mass Effect = Reapers (their slave units and technically the big ol' squidships themselves)

Dead Space = Necromorphs

Destiny = Hive

40K = Necrons

Star Trek = Borg (kinda bionic zombz)

Pretty sure Necrons are more about murder than assimilation.

In Ender's Game, the Formics gave up and then the humans pretty much drove them to extinction over the fear of a second attack.

Also the Vortigaunts from Half-Life gave up fighting the humans and assisted them in their new fight against the Combine.

As such, there are definitely ways to demonstrate aliens giving up while also maintaining conflict in a plot. The only reason we see so many returns is because it's easier and more linear to write for.

The vorts didn't give up, Gordon just killed the thing keeping them in its control. Look at the beginning of Half-Life 2, the combine are using a vort restrained by one of those green collars they wore in HL1 to clean the train station.

The vorts didn't give up, Gordon just killed the thing keeping them in its control. Look at the beginning of Half-Life 2, the combine are using a vort restrained by one of those green collars they wore in HL1 to clean the train station.

Debatable, considering the motivations of the Vortigaunts are somewhat incomprehensible. For all we know, they've allied with us to fight the Combine only to prevent themselves from fighting on two fronts, and once the Combine are prevented from making any more of a presence, the Vortigaunts could easily change sides again.

I mean, sure, they were controlled, but who's to say they don't have their own motivation in the conflict now that they're free? I also suppose I worded that wrong, as 'giving up' isn't really fitting, it's more like 'redirecting their attention'.