Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Misunderstood Weapons

Ironlixivium

I feel like we have a few weapons that are a bit misunderstood, specifically the synoid gammacor and prisma gorgon. People act like they're worse than they actually are. For the synoid gammacor, everyone claims it's the worst syndicate weapon, but this only shows that they haven't tried the secura dual cestra, which is a direct downgrade. (I've compared it in other threads, it is a direct downgrade, imo the secura should be buffed, but that's a topic for another thread) and the prisma gorgon is commonly referred to as mastery fodder, and terrible, but tbh it's not; compare it to post-buff braton prime, which, from what I've seen is referred to as a nice mid-high tier weapon. 

P Gorgon:    dmg: 25   rof: 14.2    Crit: 15%, 2.0x   status: 5%      dps: 355  dps(w/ crits): 408.25

Braton P:     dmg: 35   rof: 9.6      Crit: 10%, 2.0x   status: 20%    dps: 336  dps(w/ crits): 369.6

As you can see here, the prisma gorgon is better in every way but status, which of course is an important stat for high levels, but with the higher rof the prisma gorgon isn't too bad with status procs per second itself.

I'm not asking for a buff or anything, just wanted to point out how there are a few weapons which are said to be worse by the community than they actually are. (as this is the discussion section after all :D) Have any weapons that you could add to my rather short list?

People are saying that the Synoid Gammacor is the worst syndicate weapon? Why? It still has twice the DPS of the normal gammacor, just worse ammo efficiency.

I'm guessing because of the change. If the synoid had been released the way it is now, most likely no one would care, but since it used to be good, people compare it to it's old version. (my guess) It's the most logical solution I can find, seeing how when worse weapons are released as bad weapons they don't seem to get as much attention.

The Prisma Gorgon holds it down with all them impact procs

Lol, ikr, I have a potatoed, formad prisma gorgon and tbch it's not a bad weapon at all. I might have a bias towards light machineguns, but that doesn't change the fact that I can kick pre-lvl-60 butt with it. (and beyond if I have some damage helpers like sonar, eclipse, mprime, etc)

Lol, ikr, I have a potatoed, formad prisma gorgon and tbch it's not a bad weapon at all. I might have a bias towards light machineguns, but that doesn't change the fact that I can kick pre-lvl-60 butt with it. (and beyond if I have some damage helpers like sonar, eclipse, mprime, etc)

Only draw back is how quick you waste ammo with max firerate. It's hilarious!

Too bad that Gorgon has effectively much lower DPS because of its insane spread. You can't hit S#&$ reliably past 15m when going full auto, you need to let it slow down (it's quite accurate in single shot or ~4 bullet bursts if you let it completely reset in between) but both of these things affect DPS in a negative way.

Gorgon might be better on paper, but Braton is simply more consistent.

Edited by Mofixil

^ Gorgon also has spinup.

No one's saying the Synoid is the worst - its just the least efficient syndicate weapon, and because people we're used to firing with impunity they tend to have terrible trigger control and burn through ammo far too quickly. 

You want to talk about misunderstood weapons? There's a lot more viable canditates; the Embolist/Stug gets no love, for example, despite being pretty damn powerful. Proc built AkBronco Prime, the Grinlok, the Lecta/Lanka, and so on and so forth.

Daikyu is one of the more recent misunderstood weapons. I've seen people calling it useless because it has only 15% crit.

Nobody sees the value of a weapon that procs blast with every single shot.

As for the Braton Prime...

Don't you dare talking sh!t about my beloved one.

No one's saying the Synoid is the worst - its just the least efficient syndicate weapon, and because people we're used to firing with impunity they tend to have terrible trigger control and burn through ammo far too quickly. 

You want to talk about misunderstood weapons? There's a lot more viable canditates; the Embolist/Stug gets no love, for example, despite being pretty damn powerful. Proc built AkBronco Prime, the Grinlok, the Lecta/Lanka, and so on and so forth.

Oh, I love the Grinlok.

I just wish it would not have the Deadly Sequence augment so we could have the Vaykor Grinlok, but oh well.

From what i've gathered it appears to be "doesnt do leet dmg and isnt uber ez 2 use, there4, sux." i personally still love the synoid gammacor... as well as all the other weapons people say are trash. its a matter of perspective i guess.

Only draw back is how quick you waste ammo with max firerate. It's hilarious!

Lol, but with a 120 round clip, who cares! :D

Too bad that Gorgon has effectively much lower DPS because of its insane spread. You can't hit S#&$ reliably past 15m when going full auto, you need to let it slow down (it's quite accurate in single shot or ~4 bullet bursts if you let it completely reset in between) but both of these things affect DPS in a negative way.

Gorgon might be better on paper, but Braton is simply more consistent.

Idk, I tend to have decent accuracy and status/sec up to 30m or so. Braton is more consistent, but I'm not actually trying to say one is better, just that the whole "prisma gorgon sucks" thing isn't true at all; it's a decent weapon.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that. It holds for a while and has a good rof though, so it's not that bad.

Daikyu is one of the more recent misunderstood weapons. I've seen people calling it useless because it has only 15% crit.

Nobody sees the value of a weapon that procs blast with every single shot.

As for the Braton Prime...

Don't you dare talking sh!t about my beloved one.

Eh, imo daikyu is kinda bad, not because of the critlessness, but because it has a low rof. My strun wraith has a 99.9% status chance, and fires much, much faster, allowing for much more cc :D (I left it at 99.9% is because putting on another status mod is almost pointless, seeing as how the chances of not proccing would only go from 1/1000 to 0 at a cost of damage every shot. I recommend leaving it there if you have a formad strun wraith too)

I wasn't trash talking it o.0 simply saying that the prisma gorgon isn't as bad as everyone says, and using the braton p to show so, since the braton prime is constantly referred to as a mid-high tier rifle.

Oh, I love the Grinlok.

I just wish it would not have the Deadly Sequence augment so we could have the Vaykor Grinlok, but oh well.

That's not a real restriction o.0 we have telos akbolto, along with a bolto, all they'd have to do for vaykor grinlok is not allow it to use that mod, plain and simple. Although personally I want a different vaykor weapon o.o

6 Forma Potatoed Prisma Gorgon User here.

To be honest the only issues that people truly seem on this wonder of a weapon it's spread+recoil and his poor ammo efficiency and I say:

Do you even Machine Gun Bro??

Every single game that I play I tend to go for the heaviest weapons: Heavy Machine Guns, Great Swords, Big Magnums, etc. Since I'm a Front Line Tank. And knowing how to control a Heavy Machine Gun is a basic to me, I have a high RoF build for lower missions and a Crit Build for T3-T4 and I manage to do headshots at long distances without losing bullets and keeping the trigger pulled.

Just learn how to use a weapon properly and then master it.

Edited by TheVigilant

I manage to do headshots at long distances without losing bullets and keeping the trigger pulled.

Haha probably one headshot out of 50 bullets, because horrible spread of that gun.

There are better LMGs, gorgon wraith for example.

Haha probably one headshot out of 50 bullets, because horrible spread of that gun.

Actually, the Gorgon Wraith has worse spread. With the Prisma, it's all vertical recoil and has little to no random spread, unlike its predecessors. Kinda reminds me of the Gauss SAW from Planetside 2.

Actually, the Gorgon Wraith has worse spread. With the Prisma, it's all vertical recoil and has little to no random spread, unlike its predecessors. Kinda reminds me of the Gauss SAW from Planetside 2.

Based on my personal experience, Gorgon has spread decent enough to make almost 100% of its shots hit typical Grineer troop up to 15-20m, you are almost guaranteed to get at least one hit per shot up to like 30m or so but second pellet will usually go off in a completely random direction.

Edited by Mofixil

I repeat:

"Do you even Machine Gun Bro??" XD

And Wraith has a more inpredictable recoil (tested) and spread is worse than the Prisma.

Is that with or without heavy cal? I never noticed significant spread with the prisma, but it has been a little while. I'll mess with mine later today, maybe throw another forma in it.

Edit:@ Mofixil

Edited by Xrkr

The prisma gorgon's spinup time is a deal-breaker.  It takes too long to get out those first 2-3 shots, which is typically my burst size on a light to medium enemy.

As for the synoid gammacor... I don't like to use any continuous-fire weapon after DE changed the way they report damage.  And high-RoF weapons like the gammacor highlight the problems with the current method.

*edit*  I should point out that none of my issues with the above weapons show up on your spreadsheet calculations.  It's the difference between theorycrafting and in-game usage.

Edited by Fretless

Is that with or without heavy cal? I never noticed significant spread with the prisma, but it has been a little while. I'll mess with mine later today, maybe throw another forma in it.

Edit:@ Mofixil

Without, Gorgon with Hcal is quite literally a shotgun in my book.

I repeat:

"Do you even Machine Gun Bro??" XD

And Wraith has a more inpredictable recoil (tested) and spread is worse than the Prisma.

Repeat how ever many times you want. Big spread = few headshots. Crit build depends on headshots, which make Prisma Gorgon A LOT worse than Soma when it comes to crit weapons, because Soma is accurate. 

And Wraith Gorgon is not used for headshots. It's a status gun for area suppression. Use magnetic and toxin and watch those Corpus melt. -- Do you even machine gun bro? 

the secura dual cestra, which is a direct downgrade. (I've compared it in other threads, it is a direct downgrade

Can I get source on this? The stats on the Secura are all higher than the regular Dual Cestra. Am I missing something?

6 Forma Potatoed Prisma Gorgon User here.

To be honest the only issues that people truly seem on this wonder of a weapon it's spread+recoil and his poor ammo efficiency and I say:

Do you even Machine Gun Bro??

Every single game that I play I tend to go for the heaviest weapons: Heavy Machine Guns, Great Swords, Big Magnums, etc. Since I'm a Front Line Tank. And knowing how to control a Heavy Machine Gun is a basic to me, I have a high RoF build for lower missions and a Crit Build for T3-T4 and I manage to do headshots at long distances without losing bullets and keeping the trigger pulled.

Just learn how to use a weapon properly and then master it.

Finally, someone else that uses a potato'd, forma'd Gorgon too! I really need to get my hands on a Prisma Gorgon sooner or later, especially since I really don't want to keep using my Soma Prime.

A brofist for you.