Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Guides Of The Lotus ~ Program Launch Replies (Split From Original Faq)

LordOda

Question

theclinton is a Guide on XB1.

I guess the best way I can put it is that, if you don't feel the system is necessary, it wasn't really intended for you in the first place. If you think it's unnecessary, odds are you're someone who has already put some time into the game. You know what you're doing, you know the mechanics, you know what's best to use in what situation, you know about the wiki and youtube and other external sources of information.

But some players don't, especially newer ones. They don't know nearly as much as veterans do, and they no doubt have questions about things. That's why we're here -- to help them out when they're first diving into things. It can be pretty daunting getting into Warframe when you don't know what's going on, so hopefully we can make that a little more comfortable for them.

I believe Guides of the Lotus is unnecessary because there are many people who help a lot of new players before the whole program was even announced. That's why. It's not that I'm a vetand think that some program like this is pointless due to me being a vet, it's just that there were/are many people who help a lot in early Relays/Region chat etc before the program was introduced.I find the whole thing pointless/unnecessary for that reason.

Edited by LazerSkink

I believe Guides of the Lotus is unnecessary because there are many people who help a lot of new players before the whole program was even announced. That's why. It's not that I'm a vetand think that some program like this is pointless due to me being a vet, it's just that there were/are many people who help a lot in early Relays/Region chat etc before the program was introduced.I find the whole thing pointless/unnecessary for that reason.

That's not unique to any game at all. There's lots of people who make guides and help others, regardless if there's an official program for it or not, and regardless of the game itself.

Doesn't mean it's unnecessary.

Whoa. Three PS4 Juniors? Danielle, you spoil us.

You mean she's spoiled you :D

I assume that there are many more recruits this month since it is the first month and we don't want to get the guide's hands full, I wonder if there will be more PS4 recruits this month? In particular different timezone recruits like Europeans so guides will be available at different times of the day, either way the more the merrier

Edited by (PS4)TheRainbowTurt1e

I'm glad to see a system like this put in place, this game has some real mechanical depth, now more than ever, and it can certainly be daunting to dive into it all at once.  It's very easy to get information overload, and from my personal experience, having introduced a few friends to the game, most of them needed some help getting started.

My hope is that a team of exceptionally helpful players, alongside a more comprehensive and accessible tutorial, as well as continual improvements to the user interface, will make learning the game as smooth and as fun an experience as possible for new players.

I do wonder, however, if the present recruitment process, of Senior Guides selecting Junior Guides, is necessarily the best method for the Guides of the Lotus in the long-term.  My experience with online communities tells me that this is a good way to promote an "in-crowd", the kind of exclusive environment that's potentially conducive to involving egos, and picking favorites over picking the most capable individuals.  I hope that doesn't happen with the Guides of the Lotus, because I want to see this work, and I think it can be a real positive force in the community.

Edited by Dell_the_Engie

I do wonder, however, if the present recruitment process, of Senior Guides selecting Junior Guides, is necessarily the best method for the Guides of the Lotus in the long-term.

We're able to suggest potential Junior Guides, and nothing more. Final approval is always up to DE staff.

We're able to suggest potential Junior Guides, and nothing more. Final approval is always up to DE staff.

Thank you for that clarification; Devoid had said that selection is done by Senior Guides, but had said nothing of actual approval.  Just to be absolutely clear, when you say, "DE staff", does that encompass all moderators and administrators, or specifically employees of DE?

Thank you for that clarification; Devoid had said that selection is done by Senior Guides, but had said nothing of actual approval.  Just to be absolutely clear, when you say, "DE staff", does that encompass all moderators and administrators, or specifically employees of DE?

The final approval is done by the DE's within the Community Team. 

This would encompass the forum administrators Rebecca, Megan, Danielle, and Drew as well as Lex.

There may be more, but this is the community team we interact with.

My thoughts exactly. How do they expect new players to distinct Guides from non Guides? The only question I can think of ever directed towards any Guide is "How did you get that thing on your chest?". 

It's quite honestly a poorly made system.

^This.

Many people have spoken about this. "I want to become a Guide." someone replies "Why?", and they then reply back with "So I can help new players." The next reply went exactly like the following words. Nothing is stopping you from helping new players right now. Not having a Sigil changes nothing at all, continue helping people because it's what you want to do, not because it's what you want to be praised for or identified as.

You help for community, not for glory.

Not to mention the fact that you can be right about completionists, ones who only want the Sigil and nothing more. But hey, at least people who never help anyone who want to become Guides at the same time will now be nicer. Even though it's insincere kindness for a personal desire, at least they're showing some form of kindness, regardless of whether or not they're just trying to appear that way.

However, your last point I disagree with. "Helping officially" shouldn't be a thing. Help is help, there's no need for validation.

Yeah, but everyone besides Guides can answer as well, there's no restriction on that is there? Again, I really don't see the point in the system.

I had this exact thought at first, people can help without a sigil just like people can do good actions in the real world without having to be police men or something like that.

The fact is, even tho people have received my help (I'm from the spanish side) I sometimes wish they could send me MPs knowing I will answer their questions. After a few messages, my "Send me an MP if you need anything" get's buried and I have to spam it again.

With that said, I think the sigil is just a minor reward for those eager to help (maybe DE is like feeling bad because they can't pay you for helping the community idk), what should be a thing is the purple text for any guide (despite the fact of Junior or Senior rank) so people do know that they answer questions.

If it helps, making Guides more visible in relays further from what they are now (with the sigil) would help a lot, giving them a purple name and a full opacity over walls (I mean, you can see the name from anywhere in the relay) and, under the clan name, putting "Guide of the Lotus", further helping new players calling their attention like "Hey, why is your name purple?" or "what are guides of the lotus?".