The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parkour 2.0 Latch To Wall: Yay Or Nay

Zareek

Greetings!

I'm one of those who are looking forward to parkour 2.0 A LOT. It looks really fun, and I can't wait to try it out. I do have 1 concern right now though, and that came up during the last stream at: 29:45, where Rebecca said: "Latching is still kind of a point of yes or no for you guys as I understand it?"

Right then, I felt a rock forming in my stomach. Latching is something I looked forward to A LOT, and it was even showed in the Sentients trailer. Why even consider it? Because it can be abused? Well, we have long range infested now, grineer are mostly long range, same with corpus.

Even if it CAN be abused to some extend, I still think we should have the freedom. Let us play how we want to play. That's just my opinion. And if 1 or 2 situation of bad abuse comes up to the same extend as Mag's current Greedy Pull "exploit", I have 100% confidence that you will find a way to balance it.

What do the rest of you think? Do you want latching to be in parkour 2.0 as much as I do?

Peace!!

I personally wouldn't have put that move in, but I'm not against it. I'd make it a mod if anything. It looks like something that a player should specialize in.

I think if it would slide down or only lasted 1-2 seconds, it would add some urgency and excitement to the parkour.

I do indeed want latching onto walls.  The bunny hop movement though is pretty meh for me;  I'd rather they kept the wall running/walking instead.  The ability to start and stop moving along a wall would be a tremendous step forward in my opinion.

Although still relatively new to the game, I greatly enjoy stealthing through a mission as much as possible.  Latching to walls will add a whole new dimension to the stealth game for me.  And if you can use a rifle while latching, that would be a bonus.  Sniping with a Paris or Opticor would end up being a huge addition to what you normally can do.

And death from above melee attacks?  YES PLEASE!

Perching on a wall, waiting in ambush of one's quarry? I like. Hopping around walls like a cracked out squirrel, not so much. It's not that I'm against wall hopping, I think if it looks like Ninja Gaiden or Shinobi, then it would be fine, and I definitely don't want wall running GONE...it just doesn't look right to me, yet.

I think its awesome but it is a very powerful utility. I think that latching onto a wall (or perhaps latching onto a wall permanently) should require a mod. Additionally (as a reward vs risk factor on high level maps) I feel that if someone is stunned or rag-dolled while latching onto a wall, they should suffer an extended downtime before being able to rise gain

What part of shooting ice or make black holes is ninja like?

Ah, apparently you missed the Ninja School of Elemental Shooting and the Ninja School of Black Hole Forming. Your education is lacking ^^

On topic: I am looking forward to the new parkour system. Mainly because I am a fan of the evolution of a game, and secondly because it looks seriously cool. As for the the latching itself, I do not think there should be a terrible problem, damned Grineer are so accurate in higher levels it does not really matter where you are.

As for the shooting of things while latched? Meh, if you want to do the bows and 1-handed Opticor sure, but I'd rather stick to the pistol. Or a more realistic-look like of a 1-handed sidearm. Yes I said realistic, and no I don't play this game for the realism, it's more of a personal taste for me.

I believe it's a yay~

They should make it stay~

Its really awesome~

But maybe not for some~

Now I've got the wall in my sight,

I won't let go of it.

Got it under my cold bare hands,

I'm latching on to it!

IMO 10/10 would keep.

Latching was the main reason I liked Parkour 2.0. It allows for a stealthier gameplay.

EDIT: Sorry for the lame song.

Edited by secret9005

I think its awesome but it is a very powerful utility. I think that latching onto a wall (or perhaps latching onto a wall permanently) should require a mod. Additionally (as a reward vs risk factor on high level maps) I feel that if someone is stunned or rag-dolled while latching onto a wall, they should suffer an extended downtime before being able to rise gain

I agree. It's a powerful utility that should at least be a mod. It would help balance it a bit.

I agree. It's a powerful utility that should at least be a mod. It would help balance it a bit.

I disagree.  If latching onto a wall should be a mod, then so should coptering and any other form of increased melee burst movement.

I dont think it should be a mod. It should be standard of Parkour 2.0. There are lots of ways to balance it.

- Falloff when damaged for x amount

- Only allow secondary

- Energy consumption (Maybe we are using energy to latch on)

- Unable to use restores while latched

Nope.

Not like a ninja at all

Huh? looks like u don't really know what ninjas can really do! aside from the science fiction the game has like tenno abilities etc, a ninja is supposed to hang from ceilings and on walls.

Let it debut as infinite. They can always nerf it later.

This reply is one of the most intelligent replies in this thread.

They should make it infinite, not as a mod nor energy/damage based.

"They can always nerf it later", is exactly what their are doing with GP Mag

If there were signatures in this forum I would add that as my quote ;)

A mod?! Hell freaking no. Can the Tenno start doing things without mods? There is too much things that are mods that should be basic things and you want to add another thing to that list?

A mod?! Hell freaking no. Can the Tenno start doing things without mods? There is too much things that are mods that should be basic things and you want to add another thing to that list?

I'd claim the opposite of this. Mods should enable new (and different) game play options, not increase some back ends percentiles. The Tenno can do plenty of things without mods. That said, choosing to play (and enhance) specific playstyles through your 10 mod slots would be more engaging then the choices we currently have.

I'd claim the opposite of this. Mods should enable new (and different) game play options, not increase some back ends percentiles. The Tenno can do plenty of things without mods. That said, choosing to play (and enhance) specific playstyles through your 10 mod slots would be more engaging then the choices we currently have.

Considering how important a good loadout can be for end game, it would also make it a lot harder to use utility mods for more fun gameplay AND do end game content.

Please please keep it I can already think a million strategies to use it endgame. :D Seriously their are so many strats that can be put into play with that! It is so ninjay to hang onto a wall and surprise your enemies. :P

T4D will never be the same with Parkour 2.0! Also if you make it a mod I will never mod for it, their isn't any room. Making it a mod would be beyond stupid.

Edited by Feallike

Can we use Exalted Blade with Excalibur while latched? OOOOOH THAT WILL BE AWESOME.

On a more serious note, I'd love to have latching. It adds to the gameplay nicely. The latching can also help stop momentum for a while, pretty sure you do not want to be bouncing everywhere forever.

Can we use Exalted Blade with Excalibur while latched? OOOOOH THAT WILL BE AWESOME.

On a more serious note, I'd love to have latching. It adds to the gameplay nicely. The latching can also help stop momentum for a while, pretty sure you do not want to be bouncing everywhere forever.

Yes, you probably can. I don't think animations are a problem because Frost's snowglobe could be casts without its animatino! This is going to be so much fun finding out what cheesy places we can get ourselfs into so we can snipe enemies!

Edited by Feallike