The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do You Guys Handle All The Mod Crashing In Skyrim?

Goosmo

When i started playing skyrim with mods, i thought it was very simple. But damn, was i naive at that time. I thought that all you had to do, was download the mods, and apply it. I started to download more and more mods, without even trying them in-game first. There were so many mods, but i always wanted more. And when i finally had about 50+ mods, and launched the game for the first time with mods, everything started to go down. The game was very unstable, i had performance issues and the game crashed all the time. I googled around, tried to find answers. And i learned, that modding wasn't that simple. There were conflicts, compatabillity issues, and so on. I eventually gave up. All the modding and the hopeless searching for fixes gave me headaches.

Every time i looked at the skyrim icon on my desktop, all i saw was a big mass of thousands of unstable, broken and corrupted files merged together, like some disgusting monster from a horror movie with all kinds of flesh melted together. In my eyes, it was big abomination filled with crashfests.

Since then, i have learned about modding. I moved over to fallout 3 for a fresh start. And i have learned about merging mods and making bashed patches. But right now, it crashes everytime i enter megaton. I am considering moving to skyrim again.

Maybe i should just play vanilla... 

Simple, don't do it. Not using mods equals little to no problems with Skyrim.

Yeah, but it's kinda boring playing without mods if have already played vanilla alot of times. There are so many new things to experience with mods. 

Look into it a bit more, and you'll get a hang of it. Basically, it's best to put larger and script-intesive mods higher in the mod order, you should use nexus mod manager for that. Before installing any new mod, always make a backup save. Also, Skyrim is a 32bit game, so it crashes after using up those 2GBs of RAM. There's a fix somewhere that nullifies this limit, you should find it easy. Always install 1 mod at a time, walk around with it and see if it crashes for you.

Also, I suppose that you're using Nexus sites to download mods, not that Steam thing [i don;t trust steam when it comes to mods]. Usually, mod desription should give you a vague idea what the mod is and isn't compatible with. Plus, the more endorsements the mod has, the better.

Edited by Kowalski123

Well.   The easy solution is to wait for people to smush a bunch of mods into packages that have mutual compatibility and then only use that.  I don't happen to know what that is for Skyrim.  For Fallout 3, I can highly recommend the Wanderer's Edition package.

The hard solution is to learn how to use the mod tools and solve your compatibility problems by patiently adding one mod at a time and checking for stability and conflicts.

Make use you read the compatibility of the mod on the page you downloaded it from. Most mods show what is compatible and incompatible. Sometimes you will need to download a separate patch to get it to work with another mod. You may also need another mod to get it to work. For example, lots of mods require SkyUI to work. I also recommend you use the Nexus Mod Manager as it makes installing mods 20x easier, there for you would get less errors in installing it. I would also recommend getting LOOT as it sorts your mods automatically.

That is the most I can help with without seeing what mods you have installed.

Edited by Rakshal

That depends on the mods really. Ever since Elder Scrolls Morrowind, i have been very selective of my mods.

When i download and isntall mods, i always make extra sure of what kind of mod it is, and what it changes or adds.

For example, if there is 2 creature mods that adds more monsters and both do the same thing, i have to make sure that both are

compadible with eachother, or if there is a patch for them. Otherwise, i ignore the 2nd mod regardless how tempting it is.

If a mod crashes the game, i look at my mods that i downloaded and backtrack on when the game was running fine and trying to

figure out what the problem is.

Also, one important thing, disable mods that you dont use.

Edited by Cebius

easy GET A BETTER PC

Do you even realize... Eh... It's not PC's fault xD

How I do it is balance the mods so they don't overhaul vanilla Skyrim too much, so I don't have too much of them. I have more than I want because many require you to have other installed. And don't pick too many mods that would provide changes in the same/similar area(s) of the game so there are no conflicts.

There was this modding software I used called Nexus Mod Manager. IIRC there were more of them. And I wanted you to know I recommend the one I used.

Hope I helped in any way :3

Take the time to find the Skyrim version of Wrye Bash (can be found on the Nexus search Wrye Bash) its known as Wrye Smash, it'll let you know if you have any conflicts but its not capable of telling you what said conflict is which is a bit of a problem.

On the other hand you can try to use Mod Organizer which is pretty good even if its a bit time consuming to get it working for you, which can take a bit of time since you are forced to go through its tutorial before it'll let you do anything with it.

If you have all the DLC's for Skyrim I would also recommend getting the Unofficial patches for all of them Bethesda left a lot of bugs in them which never got fixed, the unofficial patches fix most of them. Also if you have the 3 Hi-res DLC's from steam turn them off the textures in those packs are poorly optimized and can lead to memory issues and game crashes, if you really want those textures you can find optimized versions of those packs on the Nexus site and they won't require you to waste space for 3 useless esp files. Skyrim has a mod "cap" its about 200 or so before the game gets really crash prone, I myself am running about 100 mods and at least a quarter of them are various bug fixes and general game improvements.

The NMM, Nexus Mod Manager is really only good for installing anything packed in the "FoMod" archive format and its absolutely garbage for mod organizing it can't detect conflicts, it won't tell you if you have any errors all it does is say "yes, you installed this have fun."

Edited by Nurmetya

Normally don't install mods that have similar effect or makes changes on the same target of other mod.

If your last resort is Vanilla just play with 5 major/popular mods that you like, and read their faqs to see compatibility, they most likely will work together.

Thx for the answers, but i'll wait to play skyrim with mods. Right now, i'm focusing on making fallout 3 stable enough to be playable, good so far, but not enough, like i siad, it crashes everytime i enter megaton.