Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Ember Changes

RealPandemonium

i like fireblast. i dont see the problem people have with it. I use it primarily to push enemies back- why is this a bad thing? The ring of fire in the middle is also a nice barrier for when you need some relief. i think the power is much better than it was before.

its as if no one ever used fire blast to clear a point. trust me, its nice to have a skill that can move enemies back. If you cast accelerant, then it can actually do a good job killing enemies too. Also- some people seem to forget it can be cast in the AIR. so you can flip into a crowd of enemies and disperse them- how is that a bad thing? You can clear a landing to revive a teammate or disrupt an infested swarm. 

It synergizes well with WoF too. You jump into a crowd, cast FB too push back all weak enemies or fire proc them- then cast WoF to fry the tougher enemies. Ember has more synergy than many frames in this game, and its not just about casting accelerant to buff damage. 

I also use 2 of her augments, so i dont know if that makes a huge difference in my playstyle, but she CCs very effectively. I use all 4 of her powers constantly. I also love the WoF toggle because i can use for little energy cost. Sometimes i dont need it to run full duration and just use it to damage an enemy while im attacking.

Edited by Hypernaut1

I don't get what goes on in the mind of people that say that cast speed was a nice buff....... to Ember. -.-

Why? because after you cast accelerant you know what it affects? World on fire only. which was already given cast speed buff in the past. which was perfect as it was. why? because anyone who uses ember casts world on fire before heading into a room or casts accelerant first and then casts world on fire or fireball or fireblast in case they are already surrounded in a room.

Fireball isn't affected as its cast speed is already the fastest possible. fireblast is the same.

this may be the most irrelevant and out of place "buff" i've seen DE greenlight. It amazes me that no one at DE even considered this made no sense at all.

In typical DE fashion, it's not particularly well thought-out from a cooperative gameplay standpoint, either. Casting speed is nifty, but it's a bit of a drag when the only way you can take advantage of it is to stand inside Accelerant's ring. In the end, the only way to take advantage of it is to place a ring down and camp a location, which is fine for Defense but rather static for other mission types. It'd have worked better as a teamwide aura with a large radius.

At least Trinity can use it due to Blessing having infinite range, I suppose.

And the fixed duration not scaling with levels seems nice on paper, you think that you'd be using it more at lower levels.

But the range is not fixed, so you still have a veeeeeeeery narrow range at low level.

You basically have to hug enemies to hit them at level 0 (8 meters range). Not very practical, at all

I can tell you that a lot of abilities effectiveness at lower levels is highly mitigated by a poor scaling of variables like duration, range, or strength, and that leveling frames that entirely depend on such abilities is a nightmare.

And this, right here, is why I hate leveling frames.

Compare an unranked ability with the same ability, maxed.

Purely abstractly, if it's got twice the range, twice the duration and twice the effect potency, it's x8 as effective.

Or, inversely, the unranked ability is one eighth as effective.

Which means that, under the new 'baked in' system, non-1 abilities don't become worth modding for until ~level 25.

Which means that, for a fair while, all you are is a grunt with a gun and better than average manuverability.

Might work for others, but I dislike it (which is why I don't play Mirage or Chroma).

Edited by Chroia

The recent changes to ember pretty much buff her casting speed.  Before the update you can use accelerant => Wof, but the slow animation only allow you to cast WoF before stun ends.  Now you can just use 2, 4 and then 3 if you want.  If you have firequake augment you can also go straight for #4 as a panic button.

I guess DE want her to be a spellslinger frame, but I think her #1 needs faster casting animation if that is the case.  Right now even with accelerant you still have to wait for the fireball to hit and explode before going more fireball. 

The other thing that the buff to ember do is that you can build fleeting expertise and still be fine since:

1) Accelerant last way longer, and you mainly use it to stun and quick kill.

2) WoF cast much faster, hence the shorter duration does not matter much

Edited by Hueminator

2) WoF cast much faster, hence the shorter duration does not matter much

As a side-effect of this, the damage starts ticking before the timer starts, effectively giving it an extra second of free duration.  That's the real buff to low duration builds, especially in damage:energy ratio.

After playing a few rounds as Ember (and being someone who never touches her), I'll say this much:

The buffs definitely help her feel a bit better (mostly the Accelerant changes), but as a whole, she still really struggles against higher-level enemies, and I really don't think it's her skillset to blame. I think it's heat damage.

I really don't think it's her skillset to blame. I think it's armor scaling

FTFY

This isn't a problem unique to Ember, and once you start nearing the triple digits it doesn't matter what damage type you use.  If anything, Ember still does better than other frames at that level because she can boost her raw damage so high.  WIth CPs present there is no problem at all (besides maybe proto shield at very high levels,) which demonstrates that it isn't really a problem with Heat damage.  If anything, Heat is one of the best base elements; it's neutral against Corpus (except proto shields) and has a bonus to light Infested and all kinds of Grineer.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

No frame has real synergy.

Loki can Switch Teleport with Decoy to reach any location he can see, while Radial Disarm and Invisibility each compel a certain enemy action toward Decoy.

Zephyr's can Dive Bomb off a Tail Wind for increased damage, while Turbulence provides protection to a Zephyr who's still airborne (and in the open) from Tail Wind.

Banshee's Sonar provides a bonus to sniping, Silence makes sniping a stealth option and Sonic Boom keeps enemies at enough distance to make sniping bearable.

Mag's Pull can bundle up enemies for area CCs like Attractor and attacks like Polarize, each of which makes them more vulnerable to attacks like Crush.

Mesa's Shatter Shield protects her while rendered invulnerable by Peacemaker, which rapidly charges up Ballistic Battery, and Shooting Gallery enhances both.

Just because no ability in the game expressly names another in its description, does not mean there are no frames whose skills cooperate with one another.

Which is the definition of synergy.

Sure, some abilities have flaws in execution, but there's enough there for competency at tasks beyond "Spam One Button".

Edited by Archwizard