The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Son Thinks That The Tenno Are Bad Guys....

Hypernaut1

I thought this was an interesting point of view from a child. He saw me playing today and ask me "Why cant you just let the bad guys be? theyre in their own home" I tried to explain to him that they had "something" that i needed and i was protecting it. he didnt look convinced and asked "so if you dont kill them they come after you?" i told him that they dont really come after us, but we need to go after them. All in all, it was a pretty interesting exchange to where he question why i was endlessly slaughtering legions of these supposed "bad guys" even though it looked like i was the provocateur. He later saw me at the relay and asked me if the bad guys were going to come there to kill people, to which i responded "nah, we're pretty safe here"- 

tl:dr- my son thinks im playing a game about genocidal maniacs with vague objectives.

I know there is more to the story than it seems, i just thought it was interesting to hear the viewpoint of an outsider looking in.

Well, the grineer kill everything that is not grineer, including innocent civilians. So I'd say the grineer are the bad guys.

Oh I forgot to add that they also enslave their own race. Like the drones in Tyl Regor's facilties that are cyborgs forced to make stuff.

Edited by Lord-Taco-the-Great

Erm... What?

When do the Grineer kill innocent civilians? What kind of favor does the Tenno do the system by killing the Grineer and the Corpus?

How exactly are the Tenno not the bad guys? This is new for me.

to be fair, we've never really witnessed this. 

There's a certain loading screen popping to mind. We know they hold slaves, and one of the lore entries mentions them attacking a barely-armed looter vessel (MOA lore). Yes, we have witnessed the fact that the Grineer Empire is a xenophobic, racist bunch of A******s where even a slight mistake means death if you're not a "boss" (latest Tac Alert).

Oh, no, we're absolutely bad guys. We literally committed genocide against the Orokin Empire before the Collapse.

Thing is, nobody else is a whole lot better. The Corpus are the only major trading network in the system and will sell absolutely anything to absolutely anyone. If you can afford their extortionate prices.

The Grineer raid the few neutral human colonies that remain to terrorise, enslave and murder more or less as they wish, and the only reason they don't already rule the entire system is that they've got limited supplies of bullets and batteries - they don't have any true energy weapons like the Corpus do, so they can't arm everyone and still have them be able to shoot.

The closest we have to 'good' factions are the neutral civilians, and Steel Meridian, who are actively safeguarding them against the Corpus and Grineer. The Tenno are just a sword by comparison - what we do is dependent on who's wielding us, and why.

Erm... What?

When do the Grineer kill innocent civilians? What kind of favor does the Tenno do the system by killing the Grineer and the Corpus?

How exactly are the Tenno not the bad guys? This is new for me.

The Grineer Empire, such as it is, wants to kill off or enslave the entirety of the Solar system. The Tenno help by keeping them in check.

As for the Corpus, they're a money-worshipping sect that indoctrinates people into its ranks. Come on, as bad as we may be, they're no better.

Edited by Gale47

tell him the grineer are terrorizing innocent villages and holding them as slaves. also tell him the corpus would kill and do gruesome things all for money. ok that may sound to harsh for a kid but it proves we're just protecting our selves and the solar system! 

one more thing, tell him the relays were destroyed which is why there's only three.

Your son is right for the most part, if he looks at this game from the surface without any background info.  I mean we just land on the enemy bases and start destroying everything in sight.  XD

However, if he watches these videos:

and

He may see it from a different perspective.

EDIT:  You know...  After watching the Alad V trailer and seeing Rhino ground pound Zanuka and rip it apart I wonder why we can't have that as a finisher move for hand to hand weapons.  =/  (anyways, that's off topic.)

Edited by sushidubya

to be fair, we've never really witnessed this. 

Well, remember Vor's Prize? In the mission where we go to obtain coordinates for Mercury to fight Vor the ship sets itself on a crash course to a civilian colony and we have the choice to save the colony by sabotaging the ship or prioritize our own well-being by just getting the hek out.

Also, just remembered about this. During Vor's Prize we go to get a ship segment from a neutral mining colony, only to find that the Grineer killed and/or captured every single colonist in the entire colony. 

The Grineer Empire, such as it is, wants to kill off or enslave the entirety of the Solar system. The Tenno help by keeping them in check.

As for the Corpus, they're a money-worshipping sect that indoctrinates people into its ranks. Come on, as bad as we may be, they're no better.

keep them in check more like show then who really runs this place