Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excal Is Perfectly Fine

kindablueish

I don't understand why so many people hate the new Excal, he is absolutely perfectly fine in his current state. 
Slash dash is fine, it does decent damage, no utility outside of its movement, so its not broken, no need to change it or tweak it. 
Radial blind has always worked the same way, perfectly fine, no need to change it in any way either. 
Radial Javelin has been changed/nerfed/tweaked already, now it's decent in terms of damage but not extremely useful against higher level enemies, so no need to change it or tweak it. 

E.B just turns Excal into a buffed melee mode while giving him the option to fight at ranged. It's perfect. E.B have pretty good damage, some might argue that damage might be too great, however what they don't mention is that player actually have to put in some effort to use E.B properly, especially when compared to frames like Mesa or Saryn. Players have to actively fight against enemies instead of just pressing 4 or holding down a button. And the fighting style is extremely fun and satisfying. Also E.B does not give excal any survivability, players still need to play smart to survive against high level enemies. Some people argue that the 40M range on the E.B waves is too much, that's not true, if someone has ever actually tried to measure how long 40 M is in game, it is not extremely long, in fact, it will not even cover a room in most of the cases. 

The entire new Excal rework has been great and is a total success in my opinion, props to DE for successfully making a frame fun and useful in the same time but not broken. Nothing should be changed about the new Excal rework, it is the best thing De has done in a while in my opinion. The new excal actually gives me a reason to play the game after I have grinded everything in the game, it is actually FUN. 

I don't understand why so many people hate the new Excal, he is absolutely perfectly fine in his current state. 

Slash dash is fine, it does decent damage, no utility outside of its movement, so its not broken, no need to change it or tweak it. 

Radial blind has always worked the same way, perfectly fine, no need to change it in any way either. 

Radial Javelin has been changed/nerfed/tweaked already, now it's decent in terms of damage but not extremely useful against higher level enemies, so no need to change it or tweak it. 

E.B just turns Excal into a buffed melee mode while giving him the option to fight at ranged. It's perfect. E.B have pretty good damage, some might argue that damage might be too great, however what they don't mention is that player actually have to put in some effort to use E.B properly, especially when compared to frames like Mesa or Saryn. Players have to actively fight against enemies instead of just pressing 4 or holding down a button. And the fighting style is extremely fun and satisfying. Also E.B does not give excal any survivability, players still need to play smart to survive against high level enemies. Some people argue that the 40M range on the E.B waves is too much, that's not true, if someone has ever actually tried to measure how long 40 M is in game, it is not extremely long, in fact, it will not even cover a room in most of the cases. 

The entire new Excal rework has been great and is a total success in my opinion, props to DE for successfully making a frame fun and useful in the same time but not broken. Nothing should be changed about the new Excal rework, it is the best thing De has done in a while in my opinion. The new excal actually gives me a reason to play the game after I have grinded everything in the game, it is actually FUN. 

Yes, he's hella fun. But he's also way more powerful than any other frame now. Waaaaaaaay more powerful.

Yes, he's hella fun. But he's also way more powerful than any other frame now. Waaaaaaaay more powerful.

That's very true.

Some frames are much weaker than the average.

So maybe we should try and make these frames better?^^'

Edited by Marthrym

there is only 1 problem with EB, and that is that its waves can damage and destroy Nullifier shields, which defeats the purpose of said unit

some people will rage that this is being brought up, but obvious bugs need to be fixed

I do agree OP. My arguments on the anti-excal-threads have been pretty much the same as yours. Play poorly, suffer the consequences and die like any other frame. Spam, and you will get some kills, but nothing but a fraction you will get if you play it right.

People wanted a frame to deal with high level enemies, and when they get it, they call him Over Powered... Ok then, the right thing to do would be fixing the underlying problem, which is insane scaling. For now, guess what?? We need a frame that actually does great damage, to greatly buffed enemies.

And BTW, the ones that complain about the range, keep in mind its speed, this is not a bullet, so you have to play it right, otherwise, the enemy kills you long before you can hit him. There is a lot of plain ignorance running around theses days about this subject.

Edited by nmuaddib

not playing it after update. reason is - despite awesome synergy between his powers, Excal become one-trick pony. You play it through one power only.

this is sad and shame really.

Edited by LeshJaeThiHah

After taking a long break from Excal due to all the changes he went through, and taking up Trin and Mag as my mains, coming back to Excal with his shiny new paint job has been real nice. He is loads more fun to play than he was before. I love the new slash dash, RB has always been awesome, however finishers can be a bit clunky. RJ is okay. A bit redundant with the blinding effect but whatever. EB feels so BA and it feels awesome to pull it out when your surrounded and destroy everything around you.

He is the poster child of the game, he should be powerful. The thing about exalted blade is that it scales off your mods, so if you have maxed out end game mods, you get maxed out end game damage. Plus it is an active ability, you have to actually attack and hit stuff, it's NOT a "press button to wipe out entire map instantly" ability like so many other frames have. This is what every frame should strive to achieve to be.. 

Edited by weezedog

I might point out that unlike our favorite radial nukers, you actually have to aim with excal. This more than anything else should explain why his damage potential is so high. Yes his attacks can go through lots of people, but no where near the number of people someone like saryn can target and kill in a second. 

Excalibur should be the standard that all the frames are brought too, not nerfed. His ult is no more ridiculous than radial disarm, molecular prime, bastille, snow globe, or chaos. might I also remind you guys that you can get 99% damage reduction for your entire team with trinity? You could convince me his energy drain needs to be increased by like 20-40% so he can't maintain it forever, you could convince me that maybe he should be slightly speed nerfed, but the damage is fine. Don't be scared because we finally have some heavy hitting damage to go with our heavy hitting utility and heavy hitting defensive powers.

edit --- added some sentences, and added "edit ---"

Edited by ProfessorZero

snip

You could convince me his energy drain needs to be increased by like 20-40% so he can't maintain it forever,

snip

But if you do that, you loose a lot of survivability granted by his first and second abilities, keep that in mind.

not playing it after update. reason is - despite awesome synergy between his powers, Excal become one-trick pony. You play it through one power only.

this is sad and shame really.

You could not be more wrong. His ultimate is nothing without his other abilities, except for radial javelin on higher level enemies, which is useless.

I just want EB's volume turned down. Because hearing 3 blades a second for an hours mission is drivng me insane, because everybody is doing nothing but EB constantly now.

Agreed! The sound and, for some, the screen shaking, is quite the hindrance...

Thing is, once stamina is removed, and blocking (supposedly) becomes infinite, EB won't be too OP in comparison.

His auto blocking is useless against a group of high level enemies, just works if the enemies is directly in front of you. What keeps him alive is radial blind, specially after the buff that lets him use it on the run, and on the air.

My biggest issue with him is that everyone and their mother uses the energy slashes from EB to kill instead of the actual melee, and that's mostly because of the ridiculous amount of punch through. Go into any mission that has an Excal, and 9/10 times they are slashing wildly in the general direction of the enemy and getting kills because of it.

My biggest issue with him is that everyone and their mother uses the energy slashes from EB to kill instead of the actual melee, and that's mostly because of the ridiculous amount of punch through. Go into any mission that has an Excal, and 9/10 times they are slashing wildly in the general direction of the enemy and getting kills because of it.

This is a false argument, simply because spamming with EB is not efficient as a nuker.

A good Excal, approaches a cover near a group of enemies at high speed with his dash, pops out the cover with radial blind to incapacitate them, dives into the group using his EB short to mid range, with well aimed slashes, due the low speed, and gets his asss out of there with dash again as soon as possible. I'm talking about level 80+ enemies that can kill you pretty fast here.

Your example is the case of a new guy that just discovered EB, and does not know how to play Excal properly yet.

Edited by nmuaddib

That's because DE did the stupidest thing ever and gave Radial Blind Finisher Prompts without a separate finisher imput so that more or less turns 95% of all melee weapons into just 2 animations that can't be sped up.

Also let's stop complaining about EB being too strong, the community has been crying for damage abilities that are worth something in high level and now we got them. Also EB is alot less toxic than other abilities such as AOE nukes.

Edited by CTanGod