Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Focus 1.0

Thunderlime

Hey, this will be my first major post so sorry if its not great.

I've been thinking about the focus system of late as all trace of it seems to have fallen into the back. Devs also said they were unsure of how to use it so i have a suggestion. Its very bare and im still thinking of more every day for it but i think the idea has potential so it was worth sharing.

So the premise is that each warframe can choose a certain path to go down. Defensive, Ability and Attack.

depending on which you choose that frame will then obtain a status bar that is empty near the start of a level. Filling this bar during combat grants you certain benefits and at maximum power you can expend the entire bar to double the benefit for a short time. here could be an example of an Excalibur offensive focus path;

Each melee attack grants exalibur a 0.05% attack speed increase capping at 15%. This will degenerate slowly after leaving combat. If filled excalibur can activate this to drain the bar and gain 20 seconds of 30% attack speed. 

as you progress down a certain path you can choose more strengths that can be added into the bar, maybe a maximum of 3 stats, for example attack speed, elemental damage or even raw damage.

but just think of how unique these paths could be with how many frames there are, you could have a metre that fills from abilities granting them increased damage the more you use them, energy back on activation of the full bar.. this could make caster frames a real thing. 

TL:DR; Metre filling system for Focus 1.0 with interchangeable stats and effects based on warframe/rank

Edit: Activation on caster trees or utility trees could also alter ever frame ability with new effects during the activation period.

Edited by Thunderlime

I've also been looking forward to seeing the Focus system implemented.  But FYI, back a couple of Devstreams ago, Steve (I think) mentioned that they keep cannibalizing elements of the Focus system for use in other gameplay stuff, which IS getting released into the game.  

So....ya prolly shouldn't hold your breath for Focus to show up in-game any time soon.  Sadly.

And welcome to the forums!

Edited by PanUmbrian

So the premise is that each warframe can choose a certain path to go down. Defensive, Ability and Attack.

There are 2 parts to the focus system that make it unique and needed as a mechanism.

1. To collect Affinity you need to equip a lens on a rank 30 weapon, affinity that was previously wasted it funneled to the focus system. This gives us a solid reason to bring fully ranked weapons to a fight and mitigates the feeling of wastage when you do,

2. As Steve said, "Your focus is at the Tenno level, not the gear or Warframe level" It is the first ability system that is part of our Tenno, the single character that our account represents, not the individual Warframe suits.

What the abilities are and how we trigger them is less important than these two points.

Edited by SilentMobius

Are you thinking something like manually activated Syndicate procs? Build up as you gain affinity, then instead of exploding you press a button and have a super buff for a while? Not sure I understand where you're going with this.

well before you enter a mission you select your path and then from there move down that path as you gain affinity which improves the effects of the in game ability. You start with 0 energy for this system and gain it dependant on your path. so utilities will gain it from using abilities. As the bar fills the effects you selected begin to take place so if you chose raw boost to power strength you gain an increase with every cast. once at maximum you can expend the entire charge and gain a brief period of double benefit from your selected abilities. So lets say when your bar is maxed you have +25% power strength, you then gain 50% power strength for around 20 seconds, then the cycle can repeat. But it can be things like movement speed or acrobatics speed depending on your own personal preference

I think a lot of assumptions are being made

If I remember it was supposed to use accrued affinity on max rank items to purchase focus points to spend on passive and active traits chosen from skill trees based on your lenses installed

Lenses were iirc were somehow tied in to various tenno orders hinted at with polarity names and again with star chart 3.0

A lot of skill ideas ended up as augments and tweaks

Lenses were installed on player accounts not gear and limited in number to your mastery rank or something to that effect

Lenses were installed on player accounts not gear and limited in number to your mastery rank or something to that effect

You are mistaken, the lenses were installed on the equipment to collect affinity to relay to the focus system, they were indeed aligned with the tenno clans/polarity sigils, hence a different lens would provide affinity for a different focus tree. The powers were per account (AKA per player, per Tenno) and Mastery wos considered as a mechanism for limiting the amount of focus powers you could have access to.

Here is Steve's line from Devstream 24:

The focus system is, once you reach rank 30 on any item you can install a lens on that item, that will send you down one of 6 focus paths and those will give you special ways of boosting your entire arsenal at the kinda player level, its like improving your Tenno rather than improving your Ember

https://youtu.be/db6QCHnWyX8?t=2367

Edited by SilentMobius