Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2 Years Long Problem With The Corpus Appearance...

unknow99

Wassup tenno,

It has bugged me since the first mission I shot their helmet away :

Helmetless_corpus.PNG

Rhq0awO.jpg

Even for the upcoming Corpus crewwomen :

Corpus_Concepts.jpg

WHY. DO THEY. HAVE. THE EXACT. SAME. FAAAACE???!!!!

"Oh it isn't so bad, they must have a lore reason behind this or someth-"

NO :

Cpurps.png

Corpus aren't an army of clones & got diverse ethnicity in their ranks. It's not me who say it DE, it's your own Ruking trailer!! (The Profit trailer)

So my question is : is there any explanation behind this that I'm not aware of or is it an old design flaw?...

Ladies & rude bwoys, your opinions. :)

(Keep in mind : this is a low priority problem. It's just one of thos issues that make it look like Corpus are a bit negected.)

Edited by unknow99

Having diversity among each individual corpus mob would be far too much of a work load for DE. They don't have the time, nor would they waste the time, of making a dice roll to a series of randomly generate details that make up a generic Crewman schmucks face.

Sure... it's immersive... but is it worth the time? Not really.

Maybe crewmembers are replicants/clones/androids.  The latest Synthesis lore entry was related to trying to create a unit/being capable of surviving long periods of time operating in space as an engineer. One of the proposals was the "Crewman Project"  the other was The Sentients. The Sentients were chosen by the Orokin for their deep space exploration and solar rail construction project.

The Corpus (Board) we know today descended from the long lived humans of the Orokin Empire (Anti-Moa Lore entry).  We don't know if they revived whatever the "Crewman Project" was in order to bolster their forces. Just because the Corpus Board and Elite is composed of individual humans, doesn't necessarily mean that the rank and file serving on board the ships and facilities are, in fact, human.

Edited by Gelkor

I think maybe eventually they'll get unique variances in faces for the corpus, but as of now, I think the same-face-syndrome is more of a gameplay design thing. Not that DE is lazy, but rather it's easier and quicker to slap on the face to each model in terms of production. The corpus with the unique faces were for a cutscene which is supposed to look really good and thereby needing different faces otherwise it would look weird. During gameplay however, it's less important for players to see different faces for enemies when most of them are being turned into a fine pink mist or chunks of meat. Sure, same faces still looks weird but when you fight armies of them, it doesn't matter so much in the larger aspect of a huge battle.

No don't listen to them it is very easy for a random number generator to cycle through faces, it wouldn't take up any extra memory  

The first reply implies not cycling through premade faces but choosing random values for many factors that would affect the face generation.

Like creating a face in The Sims of TES V or many other games you might know.

Because of game limitations. Generating a unique face for each Corpus unit would take up a massive amount of memory.

Alternatively(and apologetically), the Corpus also use Cloning technology.

I don't think that it'd give too many tremendous calculations... In fact : if the game can generate procedurally ENTIRE ROOMS, doing the same with different faces, welll... :/

Again, I'm not working with them so we don't really know.

Having diversity among each individual corpus mob would be far too much of a work load for DE. They don't have the time, nor would they waste the time, of making a dice roll to a series of randomly generate details that make up a generic Crewman schmucks face.

Sure... it's immersive... but is it worth the time? Not really.

Sure it's time consuming, you can't deny that man, but when you see the corpus enemies & the huge diversity of the grineer (while the corpus crewmen are just...colorswaps with different weapons & the same animations as the grineer. I'm not even making that up, it's really that!!), they could give this faction some more love.

I really hope that they'll add some diversity later because I remember when people always saw the environment as locations full of placeholders and this...This doesn't help at all... :/

I don't think that it'd give too many tremendous calculations... In fact : if the game can generate procedurally ENTIRE ROOMS, doing the same with different faces, welll... :/

Again, I'm not working with them so we don't really know.

Sure it's time consuming, you can't deny that man, but when you see the corpus enemies & the huge diversity of the grineer (while the corpus crewmen are just...colorswaps with different weapons & the same animations as the grineer. I'm not even making that up, it's really that!!), they could give this faction some more love.

I really hope that they'll add some diversity later because I remember when people always saw the environment as locations full of placeholders and this...This doesn't help at all... :/

Oh it wouldn't really take up much memory at all. The faces are so small and with everything else in game, I'm sure DE could optimize it very well as they normally do.

I think the main issue is just that the corpus are more of the ignored faction as of now, I mean, they are just barely getting female enemies while the grineer are getting/got tubemen, manics, bombard manics, tyl regor, kela rework, etc. Not to mention the sentients are coming soon so the corpus are, well, forgotten a bit. Look at the archwing enemies which are just literally giant versions of ospreys and crewmen. I'm sure they'll add diversity sometime but the corpus just might not make the priority list and right now it's just easier to make them clones.

I think it's nice to have this kind of thing in a game, just for immersions sake. That being said, I don't think this should be pushed to the front of DE's list. It's not really a major concern considering that their faces are covered by helmets up until the last half second of their lives.

Would it be cool? Yes. Is it worth taking up time and resources currently going into gameplay enhancements and content? Personally, I don't think so.

What value does it add to the game experience?

Does it make you feel closer to killing another human being?

Immersion, muchacho...

I think it's nice to have this kind of thing in a game, just for immersions sake. That being said, I don't think this should be pushed to the front of DE's list. It's not really a major concern considering that their faces are covered by helmets up until the last half second of their lives.

Would it be cool? Yes. Is it worth taking up time and resources currently going into gameplay enhancements and content? Personally, I don't think so.

Good point : I'll add to the 1st post that this is a low priority thing. :)

Because DE have ebtter things to do then model 10 or so different faces?

Especially seeing as we spend very little time looking at them and prefer eviscerating them instead.

I find this a strange question to be asking.

I already said it in the OP man : low priority issue.

Still an issue, but low priority.

Oh my god, the delivery of this thread...

I can't be the only one laughing. Brilliant, OP.

On-topic, enemy variety in this game in general has always been lacking. I'd like to see some improvements in this area, too.

I dunno, I'd at least like some variety of crewmen faces, like different tattoos, different skin colors, stuff like that.

The only black characters in the Warframe universe that we've seen so far are Teshin and that Orange-suit Corpus Board Member who hasn't even gotten a name yet.

Oh my god, the delivery of this thread...

I can't be the only one laughing. Brilliant, OP.

On-topic, enemy variety in this game in general has always been lacking. I'd like to see some improvements in this area, too.

Hey it's italic speaking Snydrex. Hello man, and thank you. :)

I always try to find a way to break the monotony of english (and french) texts in the forums! We're here for fun after all!!(and to improve the fun)

Just...Just look at the corpus! What do they have? Classic Corpus crewman, yellow Corpus crewman with a sniper,grey Corpus crewman with a Detron, blue Corpus crewman with a laser, green Corpus crewman with a Prova,classic green Moa, orange Moa with a stomp, blue Moa, bigger Moa with a laser & a drone in the head, blue osprey, turquoise osprey, orange osprey with a guaranteed loot,...

Yes, I used a lot of Ctrl+c/Ctrl+v for that paragraph... The grineer, DE's favourite, seem to have a lot more versatility & overshadow the others without problem : you could delete all the other factions & people would complain less about diversity than if you only kept the Corpus or the Corrupted! (if the infested were the only remaining guys, people would think about a free to play Dead space :p )

Placeholder. The game is full of them, and this one is of low importance.

Because of game limitations. Generating a unique face for each Corpus unit would take up a massive amount of memory.

Not in the slightest. Because you don't need a unique face for each Corpus unit, neither it needs to be truly procedural.

It's not even like basic face generation is some sort of next-gen marvel, it's been around for years.
It's that if it were to be implemented it won't have much use outside the Corpus faction. Unless the devs are planning to implement civilians that don't wear masks for once it would be a waste of time.

Of course, they could always take the time and sculpt a bunch more head models, like 10 or so. It's not really that time consuming, it's an iterative process really.