Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Armored Agility On Valkyr, Not As Good As You Think.

Elimod

I recently came across a video on youtube were the video maker claimed that The new Armored Agility/AA mod was op when combined with the Steel Fiber/SF mod on valkyr. 

standard      AA         SF       Both

Valkyr armor:      600          870      1260     1530

As you can see the numbers are impressive but when you look at the raw stat increase it falls flat on it's face. The thing about armor is that the more you have the less effective it will be.  So for example, you have valkyr with Steel Fiber and that would grant you 80% dmg reduction across the board. Now if you apply the AA mod with the Steel fiber mod that number becomes 83% dmg reduction, so it's really not a mod you should use with valkyr, i would recommend using both mods on Excalibur since the use of both mods is more beneficial on a character with a little less armor.

So what do you think? is the 15% sprint speed increase and 3% dmg reduction worth it or is the new Armored agility mod trash on valkyr? in my opinion it is since the Armored agility mod takes up a mod slot and it cost 11 capacity, would you use a mod that cost 11 capacity and basically only increase sprinting speed with 15%? of course you would not.

I disagree. That 3% is the equivalent of adding about 100% additional health (without armor) to Valkyr. Armor's so-called diminishing returns don't actually diminish, which is why enemy armor becomes frustrating so quickly compared to shields. With 82% DR, 18% of the damage gets through. With 85%, 15% of the damage gets through. That difference is the same as adding 20% health to Valkyr's effective health.

Edited by (PS4)WiiConquered

Some math to support that would be nice, since i can not really see how 3% more armor would equal 860 health.

Care to explain?

I just edited it:

I disagree. That 3% is the equivalent of adding about 100% additional health (without armor) to Valkyr. Armor's so-called diminishing returns don't actually diminish, which is why enemy armor becomes frustrating so quickly compared to shields. With 82% DR, 18% of the damage gets through. With 85%, 15% of the damage gets through. That difference is the same as adding 20% health to Valkyr's effective health.

So take 18 and divide by 15. You get 1.2, which is where the 20% additional effective health comes from. This amounts to adding her life bar onto itself again.

Math is not my strength but I tried it (also working on an arcane guardian) took it to some level 40 enemies (aka Draco) and face tanked every big blob of enemies in sight. To my surprise I took the least amount of damage (16%) at the end of the match and I never used hysteria. Would the results be that much different without it? Probably not to be honest but the slight increase in speed is helpful.

Uhm... idk what you're talking about. Adding 3% damage reduction increases effective health by 3%- you should check your math, if you even did any...

Uhm... idk what you're talking about. Adding 3% damage reduction increases effective health by 3%- you should check your math, if you even did any...

Indeed it is similar to efficiency.

3% on its own looks sad. But... DR becomes exponentially stronger the closer it gets to 100%

Difference between 20% and 23% DR? Almost none. Instead of, say, 100 you take 80 or 77 damage.

Now the difference between 85% and 88%? Instead of 15 you will now take 12 damage out of 100. This indeed cuts off 20% more dmg.

Even more so. 96% and 99% DR for example. 99% DR gives you 4 TIMES the durability of 96% DR.

Indeed it is similar to efficiency.

3% on its own looks sad. But... DR becomes exponentially stronger the closer it gets to 100%

Difference between 20% and 23% DR? Almost none. Instead of, say, 100 you take 80 or 77 damage.

Now the difference between 85% and 88%? Instead of 15 you will now take 12 damage out of 100. This indeed cuts off 20% more dmg.

Even more so. 96% and 99% DR for example. 99% DR gives you 4 TIMES the durability of 96% DR.

I think my brain just imploded- I see what you're saying now and I'll think about it more once I've had some sleep =.=

EDIT: Looking at it now the best words I can think of to express myself here are: It's not cutting of 20% more damage, per say- if it was cutting off 20% more damage off of 85 damage already reduced, that would mean 20% of 85 which is 17%- so it'd be cutting off 85+17% (102%, an impossible number) damage. What it means is that the amount of damage taken after armor calculations is 20% less with a 3% increase in armor from 85% to 88%. TL;DR English language is too complicated, I care too much about proper wording, and trying to understand what you were saying without detailed explanation (thank you for providing) made my brain fry, but the point you are making is valid.

Edited by Stratego89

reread... towards the end it said that it is equivalent to a 20% effective health increase...

It is. Let's use 50% because it's simpler. If your base DR was 50%, and a mod brought it to 75%, would you get a 25% effective health increase? NO. Look:

You, with 50% DR, get hit by 100 damage bullet. It does 50 damage. I, with 75% DR, get hit by 100 damage bullet. It does 25 damage, or half of what you're taking.

Now let's go back to the original. You, with 82% DR, get hit with 100 damage bullet and take 18 damage. I, with 85% DR, take 15 damage. 15 is 20% less than 18.

EDIT: sorry, didn't realize someone explained it already.

It is. Let's use 50% because it's simpler. If your base DR was 50%, and a mod brought it to 75%, would you get a 25% effective health increase? NO. Look:

You, with 50% DR, get hit by 100 damage bullet. It does 50 damage. I, with 75% DR, get hit by 100 damage bullet. It does 25 damage, or half of what you're taking.

Now let's go back to the original. You, with 82% DR, get hit with 100 damage bullet and take 18 damage. I, with 85% DR, take 15 damage. 15 is 20% less than 18.

EDIT: sorry, didn't realize someone explained it already.

So you're saying with this math, even if it diminishes, it is still an effective decrease...

Well S#&$, lets just slap an eternal war on there with a transient fortitude as well, and increase the armor number by 77.5% MORE!!!!!

So you're saying with this math, even if it diminishes, it is still an effective decrease...

Well S#&$, lets just slap an eternal war on there with a transient fortitude as well, and increase the armor number by 77.5% MORE!!!!!

I have mate, she is a monster. Can't wait to finish my Arcane Guardian set to give her 60% more armor on top of that. :3

The problem isn't the diminishing returns, it's the lack of mod slots.

Valk requires a lot more than just some armor boosts to do what she does so well. If we had two more mod slots, it'd be a must have. As it is, it's not particularly good on Valkyr as you'd have to give up significant capability to just pick up a bit more effective health.

Now on Frost, yeah, you'd want this. Just have to prioritize what you're doing to make the most of limited mod slots.

Valk requires a lot more than just some armor boosts to do what she does so well. If we had two more mod slots, it'd be a must have. As it is, it's not particularly good on Valkyr as you'd have to give up significant capability to just pick up a bit more effective health.

Now on Frost, yeah, you'd want this. Just have to prioritize what you're doing to make the most of limited mod slots.

I guess it just depends on what you want. For me, the potential to have a 1.5 speed Valkyr with 20% additional effective health would be worth the slot. I'd use this mod, Vitality, Steel Fiber, Constitution, Continuity, Stretch or Eternal War, Rush, and Rage.

That being said, if the drop rate is as low as claimed it won't be worth the trouble.

The Facts - Armored Agility is exceptional on Valkyr, because the closer to 100, the higher quality the number value is. Thus, 3% near end of 100% is considerably more valuable than 3% near 1%

Example - 1% damage reduction + 3% is negligible, while 80% + 3% is vastly superior to the former despite being the same number percentage (3%)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

( Math done by an above Tenno - Mastikator2 )

1/(300/(300+1260)) = 5.2

1/(300/(300+1530)) = 6.1

720 x 5.2 = 3374

720 x 5.1 = 4382

4382/3374 = 1.2987

Basically 30% more effective HP.

Edits - Added in above numbers, corrected a few things, and took out some (well deserved, but ultimately toxic) sass.

Edited by (PS4)TrueAlastar

Give up...significant capability? Like what? I replaced Rush with Armored Agility and only lost some speed, but gained 30% health in return. Seems like a solid trade-off. As for her other mods? I have everything I need to go anywhere I want and do any mission I want. I don't really see the loss.

Edited by (PS4)TrueAlastar