Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ash Prime - My Utter Distaste.

OriKlein

Encountering a developer thread over his making has motivated and driven me to spill my beans off my chest once more, if not once and for all.
I've actually purchased the prime access and quickly, subsequently, voided and reimbursed it due to being incapable of stomaching all the following inadequacies which screamed in my head "not Ashu".

For the longest time, I was scared of the concept of an Ash Prime. I saw Prime frames being released, that I just didn't like. Since Ash is my favorite frame, naturally, I would be very critical when he would get primed. I was worried I would be disappointed.

However, I couldn't be more satisfied. You guys did a fantastic job with his design, and I am thrilled. Buying prime access was worth every penny and I look forward to play as this new Ash Prime for a long time.

And I am the complete opposite.

As an Ashu main player, whose Ash seen 32% use time and been polarized 9 times (9-star general!), I cannot but detest and reject this new prime frame!

Beginning from the ridiculous twi'lek head-tail which breaks his smooth, slick, design and silhouette, to the helmet that is nothing like the menacing mandible default that makes him so fearsome and designates his predatory nature and that was made his signature look.

It's funny, but everyone I spoke to said he (the helmet) reminds them of something else; many other things, different for each person. Yet no one told me that he reminds them of Ash.

And excuse me, but, a samurai??? Ash is a Ninja! The only proper manifestation of shinobi in this entire game, for crying out loud.
Excalibur is the Samurai, if anything. Give him that helmet. Orokin only knows Excal Prime could use some love and redesign to that frame.

Next there are these handle-bars on Ash Prime's thighs, as if he's some sort of a crane or a tractor to be mounted. What is up with that? Spoils the entire feel and debase him even further.

Moving forward you encounter that his once magnificent terminator-esque slick, sexy, spine is entirely removed. Replaced by what may only be described as a grotesque infestation growth.

kiVghoy.png

And then, as a final slap in the face, he cannot be coloured properly the way Ashu can. He has a constant bright gamma or whatever of sorts on any colour you give him. Outside of the immortal skin, his chest piece is unpaintable. The entire paint scheme is different from vanilla Ashu so you cannot even choose the same pattern of colours.

From a wickedly elegant and streamlined design proper for a Ninja that would make the Hattori Hanzou character in Samurai Spirits proud to a monstrous not-Ash that aside the Torso and portion of his feet reminds nothing the sort of Ash.

If at least the his helmet been based on the Locust one instead of the Scorpion (which never made sense) and realized to its full proper potential (obviously the design was inspired from The Predator's mask; requires a few changes, such as proper Jamaican dreadlocks instead of that lame, limp, tiny tail) I could at least understand.
This is Ash. A predator. Assassin. A killer. He's supposed to be fearsome.

I can appreciate the design aesthetically, from an artistic point of view. But this is not an ASH design. It does not fit.

I am sorry, Mynki. It is how I feel (at the end, I acknowledge, this is all about subjective semantics; and I have become personally attached to the end-product of the vanilla Ashu). To me, this is botched on every level of the way.

Best Regards,

Lol Ashu.

I generally dislike Ash's design, he has this weird colour layers reminiscent of  one-piece pajama with a flap on the arse (and just because that, I bought immortal skin for me and a bunch of friends who were using Ash, because I couldn't stand this).

Ash Prime, as in mesh, is kinda inconsistent, and I'd love to see more detail on his legs and chest, but I see him mostly from the behind, where he does look menacing enough.

Default colour scheme is fine as well.

Also, Jetblack Ash fan alert.

I generally enjoy Ash Prime design much more than Ash because he doesn't look like a naked man in sneakers anymore. At least not as much.

Edited by Mofixil

If I may, a lot of people from my clan agreed that Ash Prime helmet actually looks like all of his helmets smashed into one, which I honestly loved. Everything from his design reminds me of Ash though granted they went a bit bananas with all of his features (which, again, I loved), his prime version just looks a lot more menacing and...prime in general. 

The only thing that truly bugs me is that his golden bits are colorable, making it impossible to mantain them and use the inmortal skin at the same time unless you want to keep the puke green. 

His new design is very samurai-looking, and I like it. Besides, what's more ninja than disguising yourself as something you're not?

Another plus from me is that Ash Prime doesn't look quite as horrible in Jet Black as normal Ash does, 

He's always been a pain in the &#! to colour though.

As an "Ashu" player, I disagree with a majority of this post. The ONLY thing I dislike about Ash Prime is the helmet--more specifically, the mouth tube, penis, horn, thing. It ruins the entire frame for me. It looks terrible. And the "eye" on the helm makes it look like he's happy. Everything else though, I quite like. Especially the head tail. It's reminiscent of his original design.

pWCIRoJ.png 

the only part about Ash i liked in the first place was the Spinal plates. the rest always looked rather awful.

the Arms gave the wrong impressioon (rather than looking like woven armor on top of arms, instead just made the arms look 3x as wide as 'normal'), Color Tints were not very impressive and resulted in me being forced to black out most of the Warframe to avoid awful clashing, and with doing that you are greeted by gray seams everywhere, the Helmet is... okay, and a 'ribbed' or snake scale looking aspect to the legs which i don't really understand but am fine with it's existence.

Ash Prime's arms are still rather ridiculous, but have more detail to them... so not sure there.

the Helmet is rather ridiculous. not really my style. doesn't look bad though.

much appreciated of the more evenly distributed Color Tints, allowing for actual shading and giving an impression of things crafted for purpose. where as Ash's Color Tints are huge swaths that cover giant chunks of the Warframe with a single Color, and i absolutely do not like that. so i'll glady take Color Tints that give more of the impression of Armor, rather than a sketch colored in with Crayons.

besides, Ash isn't a 'Ninja'. his methods in Combat serve as a professional Assassin with magical teleporting powers.

a Ninja doesn't have any of that.

it's basically Pop Culture movies versus what a thing actually is. Ash isn't any more a Ninja than Excalibur is a Knight. both are kind've splitting hairs to be able to call them those themes.

Edited by taiiat

Mynki's overall creativity and creation/design has been severely lacking for a long time now. Ash Prime, Limbo, Chroma, and now even Equinox looks like the concept art for Limbo, before he decided to go a different way with Limbo, and then come BACK to Limbo's original concept art and just turn that into a new frame. I'd say dethrone him, but he's surrounded by a bunch of yesmen, he has no real "team" of creators, it's just him doodling until he likes the weird crap he's putting out, and then calling it a finished piece, despite the numerous flaws.

What I'm ultimately saying is, is that Mynki is a good designer and artist, but Warframe is becoming over-saturated with his designs, he really needs to get new, fresh artistic/creative blood in there to help him or take over, ones that ARE NOT yesmen that will just say everything he's making is awesome and blah blah blah.

Edited by (PS4)TrueAlastar

Ash prime looks like a pure Shinobi.

In actuality to my taste he looks like a Cyber Yoshimitsu.

A twist of Ninja wearing Samurai armor.

Although i think Edo Prime shouoda been Ashs and Shade prime shoulda been the Primed sentinel w.e.

Look at his shoulders it looked to me like Daedalus Prime i swear. 

His feet look pretty Ninja too along with his Majin boo Tail xP 

Ash primes pretty nice just needs a Bladestorm anime rework and were good to go