Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do We Have Power Carriers?

Awsumniss

Don't get me wrong, I get that they're there to give us power for our excavators, but... why?

What purpose could the Grineer possibly have for a battery that perfectly slots into an excavator, the same kind of excavator used on Corpus maps? What are the odds of both the Corpus and Grineer manufacturing the same battery, then carrying it into the field for us to use? What were the batteries intended for?

inb4 9weXEc6.png :D

What if... Excavators are not Tenno/Orokin tech, and instead are manufactured by one of the factions?

Like, imho excavators looks more like Grineer tech than anything else. Grineer and Corpus kinda hate each other, but it isn't exactly a problem when it comes to business and whatnot.

Edited by Mofixil

well... let just assume that corpus/grineer were there first to excavate stuff. than tenno came, murdered everything and stole all the shiny stuff.

Exactly. In the previous versions of the mission there was a scanner on the map as well that you had to find. They also use that scanner so that might make a lot more sense for you. And everyone. But the scanner got removed because it was just another point where you had to go for no other reason.

The power cells don't exactly look of Grineer design, and similar looking models (used as props :P) are used in some corpus maps. I guess they're Corpus manufactured and the Grineer either simply purchase them or "liberate" them from captured Corpus facilities. 

Why do these power carriers run around and act like regular foot soldiers? Best answer would be for gameplay purposes. Lore friendly answer would be, err... all valuable artifacts are coincidentally located where the Grineer store these cells and where the Corpus manufacture/store their power cells because spacemagicluminati?

Eh, I never noticed until it was mentioned in this thread that the scanner was removed. I pretty much only do Excavations on alerts and figured that was one of the differences between an alert version and the regular version.

Originally, the enemy didn't attack the aforementioned scanner - so in my head-canon I assumed we were hijacking their system to grab resources before they could. The power carriers were there to keep their excavators up and running but with tenno on the ground it is "all hands to kill the interloper" and they are diverted from their original task. Maybe we were seeing only the handful that cross our path and the rest were off powering the Grineer/Corpus excavators where we can't go.

The power core looks Corpus and the excavator looks Grineer, so I assumed it was one of those "common" devices where the best of each "race's" tech was combined to a common platform.

As for why I keep my own personal head-canon, for me it prevents that dissonance that knocks you out of the game world. Or in other words, it is more fun to play in a world that makes "sense" to me - even if it is loosely fitting the game play into the setting.

Maybe the excavator doesn't use the battery in the way we know batteries to work today (by plugging them in).
Perhaps the "battery" is some kind of chemical mixture or plasma that is just contained, and we empty the container into the excavator?