Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Guns Are Not Loud Enough - Make Them Feel More Awesome

Mastikator2

No matter how many mods I put on some guns they just don't feel awesome, I don't care about big numbers, I honestly don't and I'm willing to bet most players don't. Especially new players.

I want to give an example of what I'm talking about, this is a scene from the movie Heat (1995)

Starts at around 4:25

The guns are very loud, this gives a feeling that they are extremely powerful.

You almost never get that in Warframe, the only times you get a taste of that is if you pick the loudest gun and stand inside a metal container, but that's echoes.

Weapons like Prisma Grakata are big offenders of this, statistically powerful but sounds pathetic. It's weird how a gun can have so much recoil and still be so quiet, it does not have a silencer on it. But this is not about the PG, I'm not trying to pick on it, even the Gorgon's aren't loud enough in my opinion.

Make the guns sound as powerful and awesome as they are, that means louder!

Edit- an example of a gun with good sound is Lex, it is loud and has a strong recoil and that makes it feel powerful

Edited by Mastikator2

The Hek is one of those weapons that just sounds amazing. Wouldn't mind a few of the more "weak" sounding weapons to have more oomph to them.

EDIT: One weapon I feel needs a change to its sound is the Opticor. It's big and it shoots a giant laser, and it hits like a truck made out of a bunch of smaller trucks. Unfortunately, it sounds really wimpy.

Edited by PsychedelicSnake

So much agreed! And I love that shootout scene in Heat, such an intense part of the film.

Some more major offenders in this group are the secondaries in the Cestra category. Hand-held plasma spitters of destruction they may be, but gawd do they sound puny!

The DE Sound Team seem to hate asome and lound sounding guns, trust me there were several amazing sounding weapons that over time were changed, some made sense [so loud anything in game becomes muted], some were beyond pointless [braton vandal sound nerf, of all things].

The reason Grakata sounds weak is because it's a small caliber smg type weapon, which is logical. If you put the sound of some kind of cannon on it, it's would sound silly and out of place.

Easy fix, turn your volume up till you get industrial deafness. Honestly i'd rather listen to the in-game music then BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

BLAMBLAM...

Also I heard Warframe will at some point be compatible with steam workshop, so hopefully a modder will be able to have a sound pack that makes all the guns sound class/ or like that scene you provided... a cascade of explosive and glorious dakka.

Also, after maybe 20 meters you cant hear the sound of enemy guns firing, you just hear the ricochets around you.

You're supposed to hear gunfire from like a kilometer away, you should be able to hear this distinct sharp cracks and snaps when a gun is being fired from a distance.

The resounding sound of gunfire should be mimic as close as possible to give guns a powerful feel to them.

I especially like the symphony of gunfire, the ambiance of different guns firing at different distances giving you the feel of a battle field.

Sadly, Warframe lacks this. Also some of the weapons sound pathetic, like the prisma variants, they sound like pinball machine, making all that weird unsettling sound effects.

Edited by H.Katsura_999

Guns that sound like *pt pt pt pt pt pt* are just lame.

Now guns that have a huge BOOM to them like the AWP in Counter-Strike, now those are fun to use.Braton Vandal used to be almost like an AK47, and now it's just... well... lame.

As stated above; Grakata and Viper are low-caliber weapons, it makes sense that they are not super loud. However, weapons like the Gorgon, Ogris, Opticor, Supra and other higher caliber weapons need that extra omph. One weapon that sounds pretty good is the Buzlok (though it fires micro-missles).

Some weapons really do sound weak. But then again, you have to consider what we are doing in the game. Unlike Heat, where the shootout was a climactic moment, Warframe is all about the shooty aspect, it's all we do. Heat would not have been as awesome if the whole movie was just guns booming in your face for two hours. And the game's audio would be worse off if all we hear for the half-hour we do a mission or more is "BOOM RATATATATA!" Especially with reverberation in closed spaces like space-ships and caves, it'd be deafeningif loud or at the very least headache inducing.

I agree that some weapons need a bump in their audio department. Latron, Gorgon, most shotguns come to mind, sniper rifles (with exception for Lanka) also need to sound like high caliber cannons. They could use some moore oomph in their sound. And I don't mean just "make them louder". There are many aspects to a gun's sound, they mechanical operations, for example.

I don't know if anyone remembers but the Gorgon used to have a small electric motor winding down when you stopped firing. This explained the spool-up, it's a chaingun where the bullets are fed electronically through the weapon. That motor-sound was removed.

Technically, the opticor is a laser and the only sound a laser weapon would do is it's electronics charging/discharging and the concentrated blast of photons heating the air it travels through to superheated plasma. And considering the beam itself would have to be incredibly thin, the sound of that superheating would not be that loud.

In fact I like to think the opticor fires a projectile of some sort. Like a plasma "cap" that is pushed by a laser. Stuff that has actually been tested in the space programs, using a laser to push an object. I think this because the gun does puncture and impact damage. Just a laser would do heat or radiation damage.

Also, Opticor is silent by design. It actually does not alert enemies. So having it do a massive BFG sound would mean that bonus aspect of the weapon will need to be removed. Then again, for a massive weapon like this... it would kind of make sense.

Edited by Lakais