Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Has A Game Ever Lived Up To Your Hype?

TheErebus.

Portal 2 was exactly as expected, in a good way.

Hype was big, and it had a legacy to fulfill. While almost nothing will trump Portal*, Portal 2 came pretty close.

[size=2]*I am not comparing cross genre, Portal did what it did, other games do what they do.[/size]

Edited by Kthal

No, that title goes to Skyrim. Which got near universal acclaim, yet it's combat system and story are the most lousy things I've ever seen in an RPG.

From Nexus's own Kyerea: (Language)

1.) Bethesda wanted to make a new engine. Zenimax told 'em no.

2.) Bethesda wanted more time to fine-tune the game. Zenimax reminded them of their deadline (only two-and-a-half years, dev time mind you).

3.) Bethesda's funding was cut short, after the Dawnguard DLC. As to fund Zenimax's new project: TESO. Real smart Zenimax, real smart.

4.) TESV was developed around the Xbox 360's specs. Which, in case you didn't know, is a piece of s***.

5.) Bethesda wanted more time to polish the game. Zenimax, once again, said no.

You try making a game as large as TESV with the 360's specs, and a S#&$ty engine. And seeing as TESV is still one of the most talked about games of all time, 3 years after it's effing release. I'm pretty sure TESV has already hit the "Best Game" category in most gamers' books.

I'm actually very impressed that Bethesda managed to finish skyrim and make it as good as it was in only two and a half years.

Skyrim might be overrated, but almost no one considers just how much resources and time Bethesda had to develop it beforehand. Can't say I blame that, though.

Back on topic, no.

Never.

In the past it was Aion... in the present it was Skyforge.

As a completionis myself, it be Warframe if such a thing would be possible, but as it stands you can never have everything that this game has offered at some point. I guess this is how DE roles...but if it ever changes I be a slave to this game, not to mention broke if part of its content is to buy, as that's a LOT of content to get! XD

Games that lived up to hype (IMO):

Grand Theft Auto V.

The Last Of Us.

Far Cry 3.

Killzone 1.

Borderlands 1.

Forza 3.

Rocket League.

Just Cause 2.

Portal 2.

Gears Of War 2 and 3.

Halo Reach.

There have been a lot of good games that didn't make the list because I either wasn't impressed as hyped or I wasn't hyped before buying.