Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help Choosing Bullet-Hose Secondary

Dhansak

Question

I am looking for a secondary to have as back-up when using my bows. I like to mix and match weapon types to keep it fresh e.g. good single shot pistol  with shotgun, stug (or something else weird!) with a rifle etc.

After due consideration I decided I would like a bullet hose secondary (dual) to look after me at short to medium range if I find myself in the wrong situation for my bows. I was hoping the Dex Furis would do the trick but was disappointed to find that the syndicate augment is not intended for it. 

I have the telos akbolto  - quite fun but don't think I am a fan of semi-auto. I have bound fire to the mouse wheel and it works well enough but I am not quite at ease with it (yet?). So am looking for full auto, akimbo, hitscan pistols.

I think  that means it's a choice between the akstiletto, aksomati and twin grakata. What do you reckon? I am loathe to build all and see, as I am a bit low on forma so would like to use up just one forma rather than the 3 required to test all simultaneously.

Stuff to bear in mind

1) Doesn't have to be top-tier. I solo a lot and never go beyond beyond wave 20 or 20 mins in endless missions. Also don't spend much time at t4 (very rare).

2) Weapon doesn't need to be ammo efficient as it would probably only be used from time to time in a mission

3) Only needs to be good at short and maybe medium range

4) Needs stopping power - to be able to clear most of an unexpected crowd quickly so I can escape to safe bow distance.

I have viewed lots of stuff re these 3 weapons - but what I have seen has been comparing multi-forma end game performance - not obvious how they are for "normal" play. I really need a take on what these are like with just a potato!

Thanks as always for your input.

23 answers to this question

Twin Grakata are good, but it has a somewhat slow reload and ammo mutation is mandatory. Definitely fill the air with lead is that is what your are looking for. To mod them; Hornet Strike, Barrel Defusion, Lethal Torrent, 1 elemtal, 2 elemental. pistol ammo mutation, Target Cracker, Pistol Gambit (Creeping Bullseye is also a choice).

Twin Grakatas and Aksomati are close in terms of damage you can squeeze out of them. Both are good if you like bullet hoses.

Grakatas are more accurate, and don't have spool up time. So they may be a better choice.

Or you may like how the aksomati looks (like I do) and go with them ;)

OP seems to have it narrowed down to some good machine pistols already, out of those three I'd say try the twin grakatas.

With just a potato, you can already get some pretty good damage out of them. I'd use the inate dash polarity for punch through (wichever rank works for you on that) to make sure bodies of dead enemies wont be shields for their buddies.

After that try hornet strike and the crit chance and multishot mods. Since you'll only be using it in short "oh no where did they come from?" moments you wont need the ammo mutation. Just spray a full clip at them and retreat for a reload and switching back to your bow  for longer range combat.

The twin gremlins perform surprisingly well with just a potato. Hornet strike, barrel diffusion and lethal torrent make them viable for the gameplay you're desribing already. If you have points left after that, maybe a firerate or dual stat mod for more utility. Since the gremlins are auto bolt guns, there is travel time to the rounds, but they do throw back dead enemies like bow shots can, so you'll clear them away for fresh enemies to be gunned down.

The biggest pain is getting them to drop from the phobos boss fight.

Edit: had to check the  wiki for this part:

Twin gremlins have 30 base damage split evenly over all three types and a clip size of 30 rounds. Those are both on the mid to high end of auto secondaries. Inate V polarity is also a nice bonus, since you didn't want to know about how they fare after 5 forma, although I've done that and it makes them even more fun, its not neccesary at all.

Edited by PAX_NL

Aksomati has higher DPS, while Twin Grakatas have a better status chance (and the impact procs stagger-lock targets). Both are pretty decent. The increased ammo reserve on the Grakatas may or may not help you, depending on your playstyle.

Synoid Gammacor would be considered a bullet hose imo, as it does consume massive amounts of ammo, but as a tradeoff it gets pretty awesome DPS.

Another option that might interest you is a Hikou Prime setup using proc mods and the Concealed Explosives mod. This will give you some AoE damage from your secondary, but beware that it can hurt you as well if the target is *too* close. 

Finally, one of the best secondaries in the game is the Furis with the Syndicate mod, because it effectively makes you immortal. The damage is quite subpar, tho.

So aside from the ones you've mentioned...

You could try Secura Dual Cestra. They're like Supras, but with hilarious Radiation proc syndicate effect that turns everything in the room against each other (if they don't just die).

There's also the shotgun pistols, Pyrana and Kohmak. Pyrana has a lot of recoil and blows through its clip fast, but it will make your target very dead very quickly. Kohmak is the pistol version of Kohm, so it's an ammo hungry auto shotgun with punch through, wind up and increasing amount of pellets.

Remember that you can control recoil by firing in short bursts, or by simply not aiming down sights.

Secura Cestras or Atomos imo for pairing with heavy singleshot.

Cestras are good steady firing mini supras, recoil is a bit much but Steady Hands shaves it down enough for stability if it bothers ya that much.

Atomos is better for in your face issues and as mentioned above can make short work of entire groups, more so if you have Ruinous Extension.

Thanks for all the great replies :)

I had considered some of the other alternatives mentioned - I already use the gammacor & atomos but paired with other weapon types. I am not suggesting they would not be the best to combine with bows - it's just that I was looking to use something different for a breath of fresh air.

The Secura Cestras sound interesting for sure - but a bit too difficult to get for the intended purpose. Will definitely put them on the list for future investigation though. Ditto for the Hikou Prime and explosive mod - don't have either but will add to the list too.

The Twin Gremlins took me by surprise :) - I have them but just leveled them to 30 without a potato. Will put my specs on and have another look....

Overall though I think the twin grakatas win out in this scenario - I think hit scan and no spool up were the major factors (well - tiny factors in the fairly closely matched 3 original options)

Thanks again

Single Viper with mod. Good mag size, so very sustainable, quick reload speed, has utility (gas proc has the potential to do 1000tick damage) although inconsistent. Killing potential to even the farthest reaches of the map (Ceres, Pluto, etc).

sg7Z3LT.jpg

Outside of that, Aksomati and Dual Grakatas are top tier fun guns.

Edited by TheLocalHentai

Aksomati has higher DPS, while Twin Grakatas have a better status chance (and the impact procs stagger-lock targets). Both are pretty decent. The increased ammo reserve on the Grakatas may or may not help you, depending on your playstyle.

Wrong, Twin Grakatas have higher DPS.

Wrong, Twin Grakatas have higher DPS.

Normally I'd thank someone for attempting to correct me; it helps make sure I'm being accurate. But I remember being quite sure when I posted that, and I was a bit surprised to see it's no longer true.

But, this thread was from August; at the time the innate 2x multishot of the TG was not known (the weapon had only been around for ~2-3 weeks) and the calculated DPS was half of what it is now.

As the time of posting, as far as anyone could tell, the Aksomati had higher dps.

Edited by Darzk

Normally I'd thank someone for attempting to correct me; it helps make sure I'm being accurate. But I remember being quite sure when I posted that, and I was a bit surprised to see it's no longer true.

But, this thread was from August; at the time the innate 2x multishot of the TG was not known (the weapon had only been around for ~2-3 weeks) and the calculated DPS was half of what it is now.

As the time of posting, as far as anyone could tell, the Aksomati had higher dps.

I know it was posted in August. And I did think before I reply to you. But tested it right after the release of Twin Grakata, I just wanna point out that you were wrong just in case you still don't know about it. My friend linked your comment to me, used you as a proof and I don't want any more player to get misinformed.