Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hunting Memory Leaks

[DE]Glen

At this point I've got nothing -- on Monday I'll get some data from the weekend of play to identify new suspects but at this point I have no leads.

In reviewing the diagnostics I currently have it seems a lot of these crashes are from people turning off their page file; maybe it's time to make a warning page in the launcher telling people that if they turn off their page-file then it's not our fault if they crash.

Why would you do that?

Page File is where your computer goes to when you run out of virtual memory, so it converts empty disk space into useable ram. Kind of a back up just in case, even though I'm running 12 gb of useable ram I have my page file set to at least double that amount and I've never had any issues.

Why would you do that?

Page File is where your computer goes to when you run out of virtual memory, so it converts empty disk space into useable ram. Kind of a back up just in case, even though I'm running 12 gb of useable ram I have my page file set to at least double that amount and I've never had any issues.

Well, using page file is massively slower too. But ive never heard of a reason for needing to turn it completely off either.

That is interesting though

Edited by Faulcun

Why would you do that?

people looking for speed.

Windows doesn't do a good job of handling it's Page File. if it's large, it'll willy nilly store stuff in it, even though there's plenty of RAM available. then when it needs it 1ms-999hours later, it needs to go to Disk to get it, which is a lot slower than RAM. you may or may not notice this delay depending on what data it is.

having a 24g Page File is actually hurting you. with that much RAM, you should stick to like, a 4g Page File. setting it to 4g but allowing it to expand to 8g would be the safe version of that.

basically, the smaller the Page File is, the less Windows will be tempted to store things in it for no good reason.

some users go all the way and turn it off completely, forcing Windows to always keep data in RAM. if you have a lot, then it's just a performance upgrade.

it's always risky ofcourse, because there's no backup to save you if you use more than the RAM that you have. but people doing this generally have a lot of RAM in the first place.

there's definite benefits to doing it, but it's not perfect.

(also, Page File IS Virtual Memory - so you mean when it runs out of Memory, though i've already explained why that isn't always true)

Edited by taiiat

In last 3 hrs we've had 4 out-of-memory crashes reported; 3/4 included a log that indicated that people were using a small page file that presumably couldn't grow (Warframe was _not_ using an unusual amount of memory -- their systems just couldn't provide any physical memory). IE: no leaks or bloats so far this morning.

In last 3 hrs we've had 4 out-of-memory crashes reported; 3/4 included a log that indicated that people were using a small page file that presumably couldn't grow (Warframe was _not_ using an unusual amount of memory -- their systems just couldn't provide any physical memory). IE: no leaks or bloats so far this morning.

Is that more like a statement that it happens? Or is that insight that there is actually an issue?

For example, the machines have an acceptable amount of ram, but are still getting out-of-memory crashes?

All I can say is buy a computer that uses integrated graphics rather than dedicated graphics. You'll see symptoms from the memory leak really quickly if you do that. Frames will drop like crazy.

I put hrs into my laptop (Intel HD Graphics) last night and didn't have any problems.

Is that more like a statement that it happens? Or is that insight that there is actually an issue?

For example, the machines have an acceptable amount of ram, but are still getting out-of-memory crashes?

That's a "the only problems we're seeing are end-user problems not the game" statement.

I see it frequently on my Intel HD graphics 3000 with Directx10 + Windows10 + 4GB RAM on my first gen ultrabook, especially on Earth in the Void. All my settings are set as low as they can go and the resolution is 1280x720 fullscreen. About a year ago the same computer would run Warframe buttery smooth at a slightly higher resolution on Windows7.

Edited by mrecentric

I see it frequently on my Intel HD graphics 3000 with Directx10 + Windows10 + 4GB RAM on my first gen ultrabook, especially on Earth in the Void. All my settings are set as low as they can go and the resolution is 1280x720 fullscreen. About a year ago the same computer would run Warframe buttery smooth at a slightly higher resolution on Windows7.

Are you seeing a memory bloat as described by the first post in this thread or are you seeing some other unrelated off-topic crash?

I put hrs into my laptop (Intel HD Graphics) last night and didn't have any problems.

That's a "the only problems we're seeing are end-user problems not the game" statement.

Ok Gotcha.

No crashes for me yet, I may have something else if this is causing crashing.

I think the condition can eventually lead to a crash if its allowed to be in that state long enough. It would ultimately depend on the individual machine to determine how much abuse it can take before the player notices something is wrong. Am I getting that right?

Edited by Faulcun

I was the host in a nightmare raid and I was using 1.6G by the end of the first stage.  It resets between stages and I have plenty of ram but it should never use more than 1.1G.

The in-game UI showed ~600M but the task manager showed 1.6G.  I think it might be related to bursting Frost Prime bubbles.  We usually do a 5 man nightmare raid but rarely burst the bubbles.  If you want we can bring you along but we mandate the use of voice chat (at least listening).

The difference between the value shown in game and what task manager shows is probably memory managed by the video driver and is probably fine.

For now I'm only interested in bloats you can see with the in-game stat; at this point we have no data suggesting that we have a problem with driver memory.