Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Art Theft

VexPrime

C'mooon man, just look at it : drawing this close to the original would be impossible without actually seeing the original...

I agree with Hatchet, and your rule of thumb has been more than reached : an eye accustomed to draw stuff just see the hands of these guys copying the OC then made it look like the Stalker, just to say "nono, mine is different!"

I could go on Photoshop,spend 3 minutes on the original to change little details & tadaaa : I'd get the same...

Example :

tumblr_inline_mr5458XIXA1qz4rgp.jpg

"No no, mine is different : it doesn't have colors, I didn't draw a fish and there is no star at the bottom!"

That dude is fooling no one! A few non-artist people,maybe, but it's a ctrl+c/ctrl+v for careful eyes...

Those are obviously identical.

Ones just been blacked out and one bit removed.

I am a Designer and Engineer.

If I could be bothered, I'd do an image showing all the differences in the alleged art.

Might anyway.

That is over 90% similar.  It isn't a good counter example.

I am an artist too, so you can drop the appeal to authority fallacy.  Us being artists doesn't make us any more right or wrong.

EDIT:

Actually, it is only non-"careful" eyes that think it is a Ctrl+V. Too many lines don't match up, and I am not talking about leaving off a "fish" in the excal pic. I am talking about things like the curve of the head, the position of the horn, and so on. There is even an overlay gif in this thread making it easier for non-"careful" eyes to see it. I am not sure how you still missed it.

Woowowo don't take it personal man, but dayum I'd be mad if I were OP! You don't need to have the exact same angles or proportions to call it a counterfeit.

In my opinion, these guys should be ashamed of themselves.

Those are obviously identical.

Ones just been blacked out and one bit removed.

I am a Designer and Engineer.

If I could be bothered, I'd do an image showing all the differences in the alleged art.

Might anyway.

Don't bother, I agree that it isn't the best example to prove my point.

I'm usually a calm guy, but when I see stuff like these, something starts boiling inside... >:/

Don't bother, I agree that it isn't the best example to prove my point.

I'm usually a calm guy, but when I see stuff like these, something starts boiling inside... >:/

Eh, was bored, did it anyway:

ohApKE.png

Red + Orange = Vex Primes lines.

Green = the Foods lines. (Perspective and size adjusted, based on center of eyes and tip of horns)

(Blue = 'accessories')

There are definate similarities, it's entirely possible if not likely it was used as a reference, but it is their own work, in a different style entirely.

A few lines match up some here and there, but mostly it doesn't quite lin up.

@Vex Prime - Your piece is far more detailed, but the lines aren't as smooth.

If anything, you should be pleased they likely used your fanart as a reference for their own promotional fanart, over official images.

But it's ultimately greater than 35% different, which is the legal requirement for 'different' generally.

Edited by DarkOvion

ohApKE.png

Green = the Foods lines. (Perspective and size adjusted, based on center of eyes and tip of horns)

(Blue = 'accessories')

There are definate similarities, it's entirely possible if not likely it was used as a reference, but it is their own work, in a different style entirely.

If anything, you should be pleased they likely used your fanart as a reference for their own promotional fanart, over official images.

But it's ultimately greater than 35% different, which is the legal requirement for 'different' generally.

+1 for your effort, but if you ask me, I find it pretty jerkish from their part...

They could at least contact Vex. :/

Edited by unknow99

ohApKE.png

(Blue = 'accessories')

Bravo, sir.

Woowowo don't take it personal man, but dayum I'd be mad if I were OP! You don't need to have the exact same angles or proportions to call it a counterfeit.

In my opinion, these guys should be ashamed of themselves.

I am not taking it personally; you are. You even admitted to it making you angry.

I am just telling you that you are wrong.  The lines need to be the same to call it "traced". I haven't seen anyone suggest that the image was definitely not referenced.

Personally, I think it is goofy to complain about someone referencing your art when you yourself are making unofficial fanart based on an IP you don't even own, because if you want to get technical, fanart is copyright infringement.  A company can easily shutdown fanart if they wish too.  Most just don't because it is not to their benefit for a variety of reasons.

Edited by (PS4)DesecratedFlame

ohApKE.png

(Blue = 'accessories')

Firstly - thanks for amazing job you made! Secondly - I know I should be happy they used mine outta other arts, but they could just ask me, if they can use it. I'd say yes in this way. But they didn't asked me. This is what upsets me.

As I already said - I know their version is different, but my style is noticeable anyways and I'm not gonna sue them. I just feel upset for them not giving a f@#k about my artist feelings.

As I already said - I know their version is different, but my style is noticeable anyways and I'm not gonna sue them. I just feel upset for them not giving a f@#k about my artist feelings.

nothing to see here the character belongs to DE and steve was happy about it he even posted the pic on his twitter, OP hoping to get money out of nothing

It sucks they used it for reference and did not include your name in credits or ask. As someone who has been drawing inspiration from comic books for years, I don't believe this was 'traced', though clearly the pose and general image was used for a reference. I could get closer to that image than they did easily, without tracing anything and just looking at it for reference.

People saying it was traced - it's not. If it was originally traced as you believe, they later went in and changed all the lines a lot on their own (which is weird if they traced it).

It's crappy they took your idea and made it like it's their own, but as others have said DE owns the rights to fan art, and I didn't notice a copyright on the original fanart image in the first place. People steal when they have no good ideas and it sucks, but in this case there is nothing legally that could be done (unless DE themselves chose to do something). The most you can really do is shame them, and show people your original art.

edit - weird, this shows up as my first post, lol. I'm guessing the PC/PS4 accounts are fully separate on the forums? Just realized after posting that I'm in my PS4 login, not my PC login...

Edited by (PS4)Nefrai

ohApKE.png

(Blue = 'accessories')

I beg to differ.

Z49HxdM.png

You forgot to skew it, since the photo was taken at an angle.

Look, no, they may have smoothed things out and taken some details away, but this is still a tracing. The style of the head still closely resembles the original, and you can easily see where they copied pretty much each and every single point. The body they just simply said "screw it" and half-arsed it. The hand they didn't even bother to do properly.

On top of being a tracing, Wikia Fantasy Foods didn't even bother to care how badly their tracing job was done; this is a giant middle finger to VexPrime, simple as that.

Look, it doesn't have to be pixel perfect to be a tracing. The edges line up, the vertices line up, they didn't even bother to care about the torso and hand except for the placement of some lines. It's a bloody disgrace and a huge insult.

@VexPrime, I'm sorry for all the crap you're going through right now. It's never good when the work of an artist gets taken and undermined.

Holy cow. People, calm your Boobens.

Has something uncool been done? Seems that way. Does the artist have a good reason to be miffed? Most likely. Does it give players permission to throw the rules to the wind and start verbally attacking one another? Most certainly not.

Respect one another, Tenno. And if you find yourself wanting to write something that addresses another user in a disrespectful way, it's better to not post it; for your sake and theirs.

That said, thread cleaned.

On topic: the thumb placement in the Wikia image really irks me. Like it's an upside down right hand gripping the milk carton, because a left hand doesn't grip stuff in that fashion (with the thumb being located lower than the fingers, when a left handed grip with an upright hand places the thumbs at a higher position).

• 1 month later...

On topic: the thumb placement in the Wikia image really irks me. Like it's an upside down right hand gripping the milk carton, because a left hand doesn't grip stuff in that fashion (with the thumb being located lower than the fingers, when a left handed grip with an upright hand places the thumbs at a higher position).

I am more or less sad DE hasn't done anything about this because they clearly stole his work. 

Edited by Robm