Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If You Were Planning On Getting Halo 5 Because Of The Story... Don't

(XBOX)Grihaly

I'm really disappointed with the story of the major games after Halo 2, although Reach was a good standalone. Halo 4 is, by far, one of the most disappointing games I have ever played, with the campaign being easy and uninteresting, and the multiplayer being a huge leap backwards from Reach. I am not surprised that the campaign is even more neglected in H5.

I would believe Reach being a good standalone, in terms of story, is due to already having a foregone conclusion (Reach gets glassed, everyone that was on the planet when it was glassed will die etc.), so Bungie could place more emphasis on character development and story development. I also heard Forge was goo in Reach, so there is that. 

All very valid points, but my biggest gripe is much simpler:

In Halo CE, 2, 3, ODST, Reach (and Wars), the humans are never the aggressors. They are being constantly pushed back, on the brink of annihilation, and the last thing they need to do is fight. Peace is always their preference, but is never an option.

In Halo 4, the Covenant have been essentially broken. Humanity is recovering has the potential to recover, but instead of investing resources in rebuilding, they make another bloody useless supermassive military carrier, and then go kick the biggest damn hornets nest they can find. They started this, and they should, but won't, deal with the consequences. I assume not much has changed in H5.

In Halo CE to Reach, humans were making the best of their situation. H4+ they have done nothing which reflects the collective goals of any characters from the earlier games, and this attitude shift of humanity is a betrayal of the setting.

Also, CE Cortana is best looking Cortana. I wasn't even keen on the change in H2, but from then on it's gotten even worse.

yeh i agree with u, the story totally loses its appeal when they made the humans attitude completely different, they lost the spirit of the whole thing

All very valid points, but my biggest gripe is much simpler:

In Halo CE, 2, 3, ODST, Reach (and Wars), the humans are never the aggressors. They are being constantly pushed back, on the brink of annihilation, and the last thing they need to do is fight. Peace is always their preference, but is never an option.

In Halo 4, the Covenant have been essentially broken. Humanity is recovering has the potential to recover, but instead of investing resources in rebuilding, they make another bloody useless supermassive military carrier, and then go kick the biggest damn hornets nest they can find. They started this, and they should, but won't, deal with the consequences. I assume not much has changed in H5.

In Halo CE to Reach, humans were making the best of their situation. H4+ they have done nothing which reflects the collective goals of any characters from the earlier games, and this attitude shift of humanity is a betrayal of the setting.

Also, CE Cortana is best looking Cortana. I wasn't even keen on the change in H2, but from then on it's gotten even worse.

The construction of the Infinity was started before Halo 4, it finished in 2553. After the end of the Human-Covenant war, it was re-purposed as an expeditionary and exploration ship, it also is a mobile Spartan-IV training site. Once they found the Chief on Requiem, the Infinity was attacked first by the Didact, and the Covenant remnants.

I just started watching a playthrough of H5 out of curiosity...

While the Covenant do have mandatory enlistment and military training, the second mission is spent massacring a mixed-species salvage squad.

Master Chief is mowing down Covenant (sort-of) civilians.

No, actually. Jackal scavengers found the ship, and sold it to Jul 'Mdama. Those are his Covenent that Blue Team is trashing, not civvies by any means.

...I'm told the multiplayer was pretty competent stuff, a good ol' return to form?

Then again, this is coming from a guy who doesn't have an Xbox and thinks 4 had the strongest story, so hey.

I do like the multiplayer, I just don't like how ridiculously short TTK is. If you're getting double teamed in Halo 3, for example, it's possible to win that fight, or you can try to run, you might succeed... In Halo 5, if you're getting double teamed, you die. You can try to win, you won't. You can try to run, you'll die. Other than that it's pretty good, there's just a lack of gamemodes currently. They'll be adding BTB and Infection (among other things) at a later date.

the immersion breaking "space magic" forerunner that forces the plot unnaturally to suit the devs 

What are you talking about the forerunners were always seen as God levels in halo 1

there tech is T1 among the space races

And humans and the cov were only T2

What i like to know is how they went from getting our asses handed by the cov to fighting forerunners like a game.

Edited by SarahApple

What are you talking about the forerunners were always seen as God levels in halo 1

What i like to know is how they went from getting our asses handed by the cov to fighting forerunners like a game.

Because the Spartan-II program had 150 total candidates, many died, with just 2 dozen or less fighting for humanity, the Covenant had the upper hand. The Spartan-IV program is considered to be the size of the player base. So that's like, what? A hundred million Spartans? That's how humanity turned the war around.

Because the Spartan-II program had 150 total candidates, many died, with just 2 dozen or less fighting for humanity, the Covenant had the upper hand. The Spartan-IV program is considered to be the size of the player base. So that's like, what? A hundred million Spartans? That's how humanity turned the war around.

Yes but humans are baby's in the T2 tech forerunners were making worlds and killing whole planets at will they even beat there masters that were even more technologically powerful even though they didn't really fight back lol

And Spartan IV are weaker then Spartan II program so would you see more of a struggle to kill forerunners with weak forces?

Anyways is bucks helmet a real ODST helm that was customized to make it as good as a spartan helm or is it a spartan helm that is customized to look like a ODST helm?

Edited by SarahApple

Yes but humans are baby's in the T2 tech forerunners were making worlds and killing whole planets at will they even beat there masters that were even more technologically powerful even though they didn't really fight back lol

And Spartan IV are weaker then Spartan II program so would you see more of a struggle to kill forerunners with weak forces?

Anyways is bucks helmet a real ODST helm that was customized to make it as good as a spartan helm or is it a spartan helm that is customized to look like a ODST helm?

They're still Spartans. I don't know.

Spartan helmet made to look like an ODST helmet.

Well, you'd be right for most of the game, except by the end, Chief knows there is no saving her. But because sequel bait, she takes the fight directly to the UNSC's flagship. 

-snip-

I'm sticking to my theory. I'd say halo 6 or 7 will have chief save cortana. Killing off cortana is almost as bad as trying to kill off arbiter, or halfjaw. They might not be the centre of attention, but they are still main characters.

I think, from what I know, Spartan IV's are just mass produced, slightly stronger soldiers that often fight in a group to survive. 

the difference is spartan IV are adults which makes them inferior to spartan II

the key to the spartan program was training them and modifying since childhood before puberty with augmentation post puberty, this gave them the highest physical attributes possible to synergize with their mjolnir armor but also ensured they were the most highly trained humans possible

since they have been together from childhood their level of teamwork is unsurpassed they think as one, totally loyal and disciplined - the perfect soldiers 

spartan III and IV can not even be compared BUT they are cheaper and easier to produce (and more ethical - spartan II children were stolen from their parents and replaced with clones that died young)

after the first halo ring was destroyed for they very first time in the covenant human war they were able to steal an intact covenant ship with cortanas help, an advanced flagship, which cortana learned everything about covenant slipspace, energy weapons, energy production technology from

instead of carrying on the spartans original missions (pre halo) to capture a covenant prophet in an attempt to broker peace they decided to use the ship for a preemptive attack on their way back to earth

because cortana survived to make it back to earth she had the data gained from the first halo ring and the captured flagship which massively accelerated human technology but could not be realized until the first war subsided by the time halo 4 & 5 take place these new technologies have already been implemented giving humanity a new edge 

The Spartan 3s and Spartan 4s are very similar in combat capabilities, with the armour technology having slightly advanced. They are very little other than ODST troopers in shiny new suits, hence Fillion's (seriously, that seems like a pointless forced let's-use-a-famous-actor stunt which breaks the immersion way too much) recruitment.

For a direct comparison with the Spartan 2s, see Jorge (Halo Reach), who was one of the few remaining Spartan 2s, and towered over the rest of the squad.

Given how many complete screw-ups are in H4 and later, I would not consider them fully canon. Spartan 2s are massive, but in H4 and onwards, they stand about the same height as a Spartan 4, who aren't much bigger than a marine.

Also, in H5, there's a whole section of "oh crap, there's hunters chasing us", when Chief is not only capable of wiping out hunters solo, but this time he has a squad backing him up.

Edited by Kthal

I'm sticking to my theory. I'd say halo 6 or 7 will have chief save cortana. Killing off cortana is almost as bad as trying to kill off arbiter, or halfjaw. They might not be the centre of attention, but they are still main characters.

Speaking of halfjaw, I want to know where the hell he is! He is completely absent from the game. Which is a shame, I like him just as much as Arby.

They are very little other than ODST troopers in shiny new suits, hence Fillion's (seriously, that seems like a pointless forced let's-use-a-famous-actor stunt which breaks the immersion way too much) recruitment.

Also, in H5, there's a whole section of "oh crap, there's hunters chasing us", when Chief is not only capable of wiping out hunters solo, but this time he has a squad backing him up.

Yeah, that's totally the reason why.

Or when Fred tells you how fight Hunters. Like, "lol Fred, we've killed hundreds of these things!"

its also stupid how everyone treats dr halsey so badly

if she never created the spartans and cortana in the first place the halo array would have been activated and everyone in entire galaxy is dead, let alone humanity would have been defeated by the covenant and earth glassed anyways

thinking about it her brilliant mind and work saved humanity but everyone treats her like a idiot in this storyline lol they vilify her when she is the real hero

this storyline is summed up like this:

forerunner system malfunctions because its bugged by derping human ai which has also malfunctioned, everyone proceeds to try and fix malfunctions but everything is derped and then abruptly ends

if she never created the spartans and cortana in the first place the halo array would have been activated and everyone in entire galaxy is dead, let alone humanity would have been defeated by the covenant and earth glassed anyways

thinking about it her brilliant mind and work saved humanity but everyone treats her like a idiot in this storyline lol they vilify her when she is the real hero

forerunner system malfunctions because its bugged by derping human ai which has also malfunctioned, everyone proceeds to try and fix malfunctions but everything is derped and then abruptly ends

You know what people say: 

Throw enough idiots into a problem, it'll come full circle and the problem will be solved. 

The whole SPARTAN-II program was considered a war crime, which is why they view her that way. While the Spartans are the reason humanity is at the top of the food chain, it doesn't change the fact she kidnapped a bunch of kids and gave them super steroids. 

The whole SPARTAN-II program was considered a war crime, which is why they view her that way. While the Spartans are the reason humanity is at the top of the food chain, it doesn't change the fact she kidnapped a bunch of kids and gave them super steroids. 

It might have been better if not as many of the children die from the augmentation. 

The Spartan 3s and Spartan 4s are very similar in combat capabilities, with the armour technology having slightly advanced. They are very little other than ODST troopers in shiny new suits, hence Fillion's (seriously, that seems like a pointless forced let's-use-a-famous-actor stunt which breaks the immersion way too much) recruitment.

For a direct comparison with the Spartan 2s, see Jorge (Halo Reach), who was one of the few remaining Spartan 2s, and towered over the rest of the squad.

As kids, Spartan III's were slaughtering the Covenant in melee combat, and Spartan IV's are able to outrun horses. No way are they just ODST's.

Jorge is taller than Chief, and half a foot taller than B312.

5942807812_281060b21c_b.jpg

Edited by Jakcal

It might have been better if not as many of the children die from the augmentation. 

dont forget dr halsey was given permission and asked to proceed with the spartan II program, ONI and UNSC desperately wanted that successful weapons program

she openly expressed not liking to do it and not wanting to do it but she had the courage and intelligence to go ahead with it, something very few people could do because of the morale conflict involved

but because of her choices THE ENTIRE GALAXY LIVES

then later she is accused of a warcrimes ? how is it a crime to indirectly save all sentient life in the know galaxy is quite amusing

in reality everything she did was pro-humanity and she was targeted because of internal political conflicts, many in high command and ONI resented her success and her disregard for military authority (dr.halsey is a civilian, the only civilian to have access above even the highest ranking admirals) 

she is easily one of it not the greatest mind in human history, no one else could achieve what she did, its safe to say if she was never born we would be extinct 

incidentally 087 kelly was the most successfully spartan ever created (physically), she is one of the most durable recovering from lethal damage many times throughout her life and would easily be the fastest (reflexes,speed,agility,neural activity) human being to have ever existed and its strange how that misrepresented by 343 

also it should be noted when john (or any spartan II) has to fight locke he is holding back, he doesnt want to hurt a fellow human solider and its just a hindrance for him, spartan IIs dont think like normal people

its safe to say if locke was an enemy that would have ended alot faster since spartan IIs are completely superior to spartan IVs (except newer armor) & IIIs

dont forget dr halsey was given permission and asked to proceed with the spartan II program, ONI and UNSC desperately wanted that successful weapons program

she openly expressed not liking to do it and not wanting to do it but she had the courage and intelligence to go ahead with it, something very few people could do because of the morale conflict involved

but because of her choices THE ENTIRE GALAXY LIVES

then later she is accused of a warcrimes ? how is it a crime to indirectly save all sentient life in the know galaxy is quite amusing

in reality everything she did was pro-humanity and she was targeted because of internal political conflicts, many in high command and ONI resented her success and her disregard for military authority (dr.halsey is a civilian, the only civilian to have access above even the highest ranking admirals) 

she is easily one of it not the greatest mind in human history, no one else could achieve what she did, its safe to say if she was never born we would be extinct 

incidentally 087 kelly was the most successfully spartan ever created (physically), she is one of the most durable recovering from lethal damage many times throughout her life and would easily be the fastest (reflexes,speed,agility,neural activity) human being to have ever existed and its strange how that misrepresented by 343 

also it should be noted when john (or any spartan II) has to fight locke he is holding back, he doesnt want to hurt a fellow human solider and its just a hindrance for him, spartan IIs dont think like normal people

its safe to say if locke was an enemy that would have ended alot faster since spartan IIs are completely superior to spartan IVs (except newer armor) & IIIs

I think it is not about internal politics, but just the simple case of "shifting the blame to make oneself feel better": 

The UNSC and ONI wanted super-soldiers to turn the tide. Dr. Halsey was the scientist/researcher capable of doing so, so both the UNSC and ONI gave her the green light, on the presumably hidden promise that success rate would be acceptable. However, it got sour due to various limitations (augmentations killing the children, I think the battle of Reach killed off a few more Spartan-IIs, budget cuts etc.), and to make themselves feel better, they pin everything on Dr. Halsey.

Probably more "justified" since I think they know Cortana now wants to eradicate humanity, but John wants to save Cortana. Also probably because they just labelled the Spartan-IIs as "rogue soldiers" now. Then again, I never really followed the story.