Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If You Were Planning On Getting Halo 5 Because Of The Story... Don't

(XBOX)Grihaly

Quick question, but where did the other three Spartan II soldiers come from? Is it covered in H4 SpOps, because I gave up on that game before those finished.

I've watched a full playthrough of H5, and far too much of the game is expressed in cutscenes. There are long videos showing how badass spartans are, and then the game lets you kill the same mix of enemies, mostly generic gray robot humanoids and quadrupeds in the same grey/brown environment, with the occasional Knight or that one boss who keeps getting recycled.

Take Jul 'Mdama's death as an example: What should have happened is a brief cutscene showing the spartans entering the room stealthily and showing 'Mdama squabbling with Halsey, then giving control back to the player hidden behind an ammo crate. Then a basic but difficult fight with several zealots and other high ranking elites, with Halsey distracting 'Mdama for a few seconds before activating a temporary Forerunner barrier or some other plot device to get her out of combat, and letting him get into the fight.

I wouldn't think of this as a boss fight, 'Mdama should just fight like any other elite, maybe with a little extra shields, or maybe he could have been designed as being notably weak. He isn't anything special, so shouldn't deserve anything particularly unusual.

To give credit where it is due, it does look like they did massively improve Knights since H4, and they now seem to be a very well designed enemy, but that's only one small thing in the game. Also, the Assualt Rifle looks a bit better too.

As for Cortana..... LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY design. She looks like a blue girl wearing a cheap costume. And the entire plot of the game still plays out like a badly written fanfic.

She just wants a physical body... Didn't she say something at the end of H4?

The funny thing about the playthrough I watched, was up until the guy paused it around mission 8, I could have sworn he was playing on easy. They really dialed back the difficulty, to the point where I could have likely beaten it on heroic first try with fewer than three deaths. On top of this, the Promethean pistol and assault rifle both have homing rounds.

Edited by Kthal

Quick question, but where did the other three Spartan II soldiers come from? Is it covered in H4 SpOps, because I gave up on that game before those finished.

You mean Chief's team? They're only his bestest friends 4evar. Known them since boot camp.

You mean Chief's team? They're only his bestest friends 4evar. Known them since boot camp.

I got that, but I've never seen any of them in any of the games before. When and where were they confirmed not KIA MIA (Spartans never die), and how when did they end up in a fireteam with 117?

Edited by Kthal

I got that, but I've never seen any of them in any of the games before. When and where were they confirmed not KIA MIA (Spartans never die), and how when did they end up in a fireteam with 117?

linda went with john on their 3man mission while fred and kelly went down with the rest of the spartans to defend reach

linda got extremely damaged and put into cyro before halo events and was just left floating in space but luckily found

while fred and kelly were trapped underground on reach which was glassed then rescued later when john was on his way back from halos destruction

they were all reunited on the gettsburg thanks to dr halsey

then they fought on earth while john was off derping around 

after that dr halsey asked them to go to onyx where they linked up with the spartan IIIs and they got stuck in the dyson sphere but were able to escape to normal space and rescued by ONI and reunited again with john when he was found 

incidentally 087 kelly was the most successfully spartan ever created (physically), she is one of the most durable recovering from lethal damage many times throughout her life and would easily be the fastest (reflexes,speed,agility,neural activity) human being to have ever existed and its strange how that misrepresented by 343 

I played as Kelly in co-op, she has higher speed and faster weapon swap time than the rest of the Spartans. All of Blue Team has increased health. (Speaking strictly from a perk stand point) Or are you referring to the war crimes thing still?

linda went with john on their 3man mission while fred and kelly went down with the rest of the spartans to defend reach

linda got extremely damaged and put into cyro before halo events and was just left floating in space but luckily found

while fred and kelly were trapped underground on reach which was glassed then rescued later when john was on his way back from halos destruction

they were all reunited on the gettsburg thanks to dr halsey

then they fought on earth while john was off derping around 

after that dr halsey asked them to go to onyx where they linked up with the spartan IIIs and they got stuck in the dyson sphere but were able to escape to normal space and rescued by ONI and reunited again with john when he was found 

Yes, but what game was all this in, or was it in one of those awful peripheral shows? I know that they've existed in the universe for a while, but in the context of H5, they are just there with no explanation.

I played as Kelly in co-op, she has higher speed and faster weapon swap time than the rest of the Spartans. All of Blue Team has increased health. (Speaking strictly from a perk stand point) Or are you referring to the war crimes thing still?

i just meant 343 didnt accurately portray the spartan IIs individual attributes in the storyline is all, since she would prob outperform all other spartans but its pretty cool to see she has some stats differences in co-op as a nod to it 

Yes, but what game was all this in, or was it in one of those awful peripheral shows? I know that they've existed in the universe for a while, but in the context of H5, they are just there with no explanation.

yeah sorry its mostly from the novels filling in between the games events which comes from the bungie story bible thats locked away under guard and key lol

i just meant 343 didnt accurately portray the spartan IIs individual attributes in the storyline is all, since she would prob outperform all other spartans but its pretty cool to see she has some stats differences in co-op as a nod to it 

yeah sorry its mostly from the novels filling in between the games events which comes from the bungie story bible thats locked away under guard and key lol

So... For the gap between H4 and H5, for the story to make sense, you have required reading, or it's not public knowledge.

*slow clap*

It was in the books. Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx.

It was in the books. Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx.

I know, and I've said that I've known for a long time several times now.

I know that multiple spartan 2s survived the war, but they have never been officially announced in the games, and as such are only secondary level canon.

As someone who doesn't care about mediocre literature spun off of video games, I have not read the books, and the entire situation is extremely confusing. I know of the characters' names through hearsay, but they are not introduced any more than "here's your team, they've known you for a long time".

I know that multiple spartan 2s survived the war, but they have never been officially announced in the games, and as such are only secondary level canon.

As someone who doesn't care about mediocre literature spun off of video games, I have not read the books, and the entire situation is extremely confusing. I know of the characters' names through hearsay, but they are not introduced any more than "here's your team, they've known you for a long time".

It's because 343 don't really have any ideas for halo so they are taking directly from existing background material that was never canon and are trying to weave it all together and make a story from it. Just like when they tried to do damage control when it was believed that armour ability segments were only being tested on field agents in reach and were lost there yet they put them in halo 4, they ended up writing a little lore piece to justify armour ability segments finding there way to the master chief and the rest of the UNSC.

(PS4)Pharen, on 30 Oct 2015 - 5:20 PM, said:

It's because 343 don't really have any ideas for halo so they are taking directly from existing background material that was never canon and are trying to weave it all together and make a story from it. Just like when they tried to do damage control when it was believed that armour ability segments were only being tested on field agents in reach and were lost there yet they put them in halo 4, they ended up writing a little lore piece to justify armour ability segments finding there way to the master chief and the rest of the UNSC.

So the Bungie approach, where the EU didn't matter, was somehow better? At least 343 does its best to resolve plot holes.

So the Bungie approach, where the EU didn't matter, was somehow better? At least 343 does its best to resolve plot holes.

Bungie has always stated when developing halo that the game trumps all. It doesn't matter what the books say because the game is canon, all external materials are not.

The books are pretty good, actually.

343 made an animated series of Fall of Reach, launched this past Tuesday, that probably could answer most of your questions.

Oh, and, there is a Legendary ending. Halo 6 will take place on another Halo ring. It's only been 11 years since the last time that happened.