Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If You Were Planning On Getting Halo 5 Because Of The Story... Don't

(XBOX)Grihaly

*Minor spoilers ahead*

This is a Halo milked for the multiplayer, the campaign was over-hyped to hell by 343. Played out nothing like they were teasing. In the commercials, they make it look like Chief has been rogue for a while, and the legend is dead... The whole game takes place over the course of 3 days, and in that time Chief goes from active duty, to AWOL, and then back to hero. Locke had about one 45 second moment when he was ready to do what he was assigned to, and then because spoilers, has a change of heart soon after and decides he should help him. 

There was barely any Arbiter, he appears in 3 (4 if you count a cutscene of another) missions, one of which is a mission that consists entirely of "go here, talk to this person, go there, talk to that person, go over there and press that button. now go here and start the next mission." And there are TWO WHOLE MISSIONS out of its 15 list, that consist of "go here press a button" THEY LAST ABOUT 2 MINUTES. A cutscene would have made much more sense, but nah, gotta make the campaign look longer! But back to Arby, he fights along side you for about a total of 3 minutes, his appearance was a freaking cameo, however, it was nice to step foot on the Elites homeworld.

15 missions, 2 of them aren't even real missions. Basically 13... You play as the Chief, the heart and soul of Halo, for three of them. You're Locke, the new guy, the guy 343 said "You will still play as the Chief in Halo 5" when his character was first learned of (they said with a grain of salt, didn't they?) is the PC for 10 of the missions. He's not a bad character, Osiris is a cool team (mainly because Nathan Fillion is my second in command) but it's Halo, I want to be the Chief!

Now, for the part that made this the most disappointing Halo campaign yet: its ending, is not an ending. They pulled a goddamn Halo 2 with this one, if there was an award for 'best sequel bait of the year' Halo 5 would win it hands down. Just when it's really about to hit the fan, the credits roll. "So yeah, that ending, come back in 3-4 years with another $60 and you can see how it ends." There isn't even an after-credits cutscene! (I have yet to see if there is a Legendary ending)

EDIT: I completed it solo Legendary. There IS a Legendary ending. The most vague one yet, however, Halo 6 will take place (at least in part) on another Halo ring.

The gameplay is pretty frikn nice, but this was about the story, not the gameplay. Final verdict of the story: 4/10 I'll let Mr. Joe say it:

v1F1hk3.png?fb

Edited by (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly

If they come around to finally porting a recent game, if XboneOS->W10 can even be called a port, I'll take your advice and steer clear.

I'm really disappointed with the story of the major games after Halo 2, although Reach was a good standalone. Halo 4 is, by far, one of the most disappointing games I have ever played, with the campaign being easy and uninteresting, and the multiplayer being a huge leap backwards from Reach. I am not surprised that the campaign is even more neglected in H5.

Thanks for the advice.

Also, "Halo 5: Guardians". If a colon-subtitle isn't setting off alarms, I don't know what will.

Edited by Kthal

So its the MGS V of Halo? Skullface is basically Arbiter, you think he'd be a major character but he's only in 4 missions, it's endings bad and some missions are just plain bad.

The ending of MGSV would've been better if they hadn't like foreshadowed it like 2 times in the whole game, and both times they're doing everything to tell you the ending without actually telling you the ending. And yeah some of the missions, especially in the 2nd half of the game, just sucked. If Halo 5 is like that, it's not worth getting an XB1 over. 

Halo is pretty much dead.  Combat Evolved was the only good game.  The anniversary edition was good too, but that's it.

Not as much as Call of Duty, but still, I feel it is not fun anymore.

Everything pre-4 was good, but CE was the best.

So its the MGS V of Halo? Skullface is basically Arbiter, you think he'd be a major character but he's only in 4 missions, it's endings bad and some missions are just plain bad.

Not exactly... MGSV took me about 30 hours, Halo 5 took me 6 hours. It's not that the endings are bad, it's that both games just don't even have an ending.

The ending of MGSV would've been better if they hadn't like foreshadowed it like 2 times in the whole game, and both times they're doing everything to tell you the ending without actually telling you the ending. And yeah some of the missions, especially in the 2nd half of the game, just sucked. If Halo 5 is like that, it's not worth getting an XB1 over. 

Maybe Metal Gear 6 will have a better ending xD

Here I am just gonna say called it. 343 is a terrible studio. Bungie knew how to make halo, but they moved onto another IP that they subsequently crushed there vision for so it could be expanded further to make more sequels. I wouldn't expect much for Halo 6 campaign either. And remember 343 planned to make 6 sequels to halo 3, so there's 4 more milked entries minimum.

Here I am just gonna say called it. 343 is a terrible studio. Bungie knew how to make halo, but they moved onto another IP that they subsequently crushed there vision for so it could be expanded further to make more sequels. I wouldn't expect much for Halo 6 campaign either. And remember 343 planned to make 6 sequels to halo 3, so there's 4 more milked entries minimum.

They planned a second trilogy? After Halo 5, I can't even take their story ideas seriously. Don't click that unless you definitely don't give a sh*t about spoilers.

Cortana isn't dead, she got pulled through a slipspace hole or something like that, and was "cured" of her rampancy by some Forerunner stuff, she then became a meta-physical AI, who wants to bring peace to the galaxy... By wiping out all organic life inside it.

They planned a second trilogy? After Halo 5, I can't even take their story ideas seriously. Don't click that unless you definitely don't give a sh*t about spoilers.

Cortana isn't dead, she got pulled through a slipspace hole or something like that, and was "cured" of her rampancy by some Forerunner stuff, she then became a meta-physical AI, who wants to bring peace to the galaxy... By wiping out all organic life inside it.

It's funny, you put it in a spoiler, but I already knew.

After Halo4 I came to the conclusion it's better to wait till mid year to even consider pickin up a Halo title from 343. By then they actually tried to fix everything and gave out free content like a giant flat forge map. LoL. Yeah Halo, been dead for awhile. But the love for Halo and wanting it to be good hasn't. So I want the game to succeed for its fan base. But that seems an elusive endeavor thanks to hype and trying to meet impossible expectations, no matter how trivial some say that is to obtain.

i REALLY HATE the spartan IVs 

the are not even real spartans

only spartan IIs are true to the spartan super solider program

put a spartan II in the same armor and situation as spartan IV and they will ALWAYS be better 

the focus on spartan IVs alone is what kills the story, on top of the trivialization of the covenant, malignant of the unsc and the immersion breaking "space magic" forerunner that forces the plot unnaturally to suit the devs 

the oversexualization of cortana is the final nail in the coffin its pathetic 

the original halo games will always be superior games to halo 4 & 5 (multiplayer aside..) its a classic case of newer is not always better 

basically microsoft gambled and lost 

I predicted it from Halo 4's ending.

was all like, yep. Not dead. Probably gonna be some integrated with forerunner BS. Probably gonna be evil. Chief will end up saving her.

Well, you'd be right for most of the game, except by the end, Chief knows there is no saving her. But because sequel bait, she takes the fight directly to the UNSC's flagship. 

i REALLY HATE the spartan IVs 

the are not even real spartans

only spartan IIs are true to the spartan super solider program

put a spartan II in the same armor and situation as spartan IV and they will ALWAYS be better 

the focus on spartan IVs alone is what kills the story, on top of the trivialization of the covenant, malignant of the unsc and the immersion breaking "space magic" forerunner that forces the plot unnaturally to suit the devs 

the oversexualization of cortana is the final nail in the coffin its pathetic 

the original halo games will always be superior games to halo 4 & 5 (multiplayer aside..) its a classic case of newer is not always better 

basically microsoft gambled and lost 

I agree with you, but 343 doesn't. Chief has a fight with Locke, and it's pretty even (and boring) they even make it llok like Locke gets the upper hand for a while.

They made Cortana look weird in Halo 5. In Halo 4 she was pretty good looking, now she has a fat face that makes me think: crazy cat lady.

-snip-

All very valid points, but my biggest gripe is much simpler:

In Halo CE, 2, 3, ODST, Reach (and Wars), the humans are never the aggressors. They are being constantly pushed back, on the brink of annihilation, and the last thing they need to do is fight. Peace is always their preference, but is never an option.

In Halo 4, the Covenant have been essentially broken. Humanity is recovering has the potential to recover, but instead of investing resources in rebuilding, they make another bloody useless supermassive military carrier, and then go kick the biggest damn hornets nest they can find. They started this, and they should, but won't, deal with the consequences. I assume not much has changed in H5.

In Halo CE to Reach, humans were making the best of their situation. H4+ they have done nothing which reflects the collective goals of any characters from the earlier games, and this attitude shift of humanity is a betrayal of the setting.

Also, CE Cortana is best looking Cortana. I wasn't even keen on the change in H2, but from then on it's gotten even worse.

Edited by Kthal

I just started watching a playthrough of H5 out of curiosity...

While the Covenant do have mandatory enlistment and military training, the second mission is spent massacring a mixed-species salvage squad.

[size=6]Master Chief is mowing down Covenant (sort-of) civilians.[/size]