The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tonkor Vs Secura Penta

(PSN)TonGNisM

Question

Power versus convenience of detonation. Which do you prefer?

/thread

but yeah. Tonkor (atm, going to be fixed) just absolutely hands down wins in Damage. against almost every Weapon in the game, actually.

Penta Series is easier to Detonate on queue though. but i don't see this as a problem personally, lead your Targets and pop them in the upper chest with every single Grenade.

Edited by taiiat

/thread

but yeah. Tonkor (atm, going to be fixed) just absolutely hands down wins in Damage. against almost every Weapon in the game, actually.

Penta Series is easier to Detonate on queue though. but i don't see this as a problem personally, lead your Targets and pop them in the upper chest with every single Grenade.

Not almost every weapon, absolutely every weapon, lol.

Penta requires less learning to hit, but always risknig to blow yourself up can be fun since it makes things more intense.

Landing Tonkor skillshots is also fun tho, and if u wanna ever go as far as possible in solo endless ull want the Tonkor.

Tonkor

Pros:

Deals tons of crit damage

Grenades don't kill you, at least not easily

Can Rocket Jump

Has "aim assist" showing the trajectory

Cons:

Less base damage

Less clip size

Must land direct hits (harder to land headshots)

Slow fire rate

No polarities

Secura Penta

Pros

Deals more base damage

Has Sequence effect

Higher clip

Can be used as a defensive weapon, or compensate for missed shots with the detonation feature and can land headshots easily

Innate polarities

Cons

Self damage

Crit and stat chance are nothing compared to Tonkor

Limit of 5 Grenades active

Grenades can bounce off teammates, which can kill yourself

I'd say go with the Tonkor initially and then the Secura Penta because the Penta needs practice to adjust to its detonation feature, and to not kill yourself.

Well let's see

Tonkor

-Little to no self dmg

-achieve crazy crit dmg

-Can't manually detonate grenades

-Has to hit the enemy directly

-Can destroy groups

-Aoe can crit <--- what really makes the weap beast.

Secure Penta

-Better overall stats than original

-Can manually detonate. Need to be careful

-Can kill itself in one explosion no matter what armor rating if heavily modded. Shouldn't get overlook because of this

-Syndicate Effect. Can confuse enemies

-Doesn't have crazy crit dmg & chance but is crazy powerful just the same.

Ammo- More ammo than Tonkor

Overall

Can't really choose one over the other because they both are pretty amazing. Try them both out! :)

Tonkor takes some getting used to when it comes to directly killing. Thankfully no self damage, which is a huge plus if you don't have much experience with other deadly explodies that accidentally kill you pretty hard. Powerful, but really not controllable.

Penta and Secura variant are great for accurate explosions, provided you have kept a good eye on where you shot and where it bounced. Otherwise excellent for headshots (detonation right above enemy heads) and overall crowd control since you can have 5 out at once. Syndicate proc explosions are always a great plus.

-snip-

low Base Damage can't be a Con for Tonkor because it's like, 1/100 or more to get neither Projectile to Crit.

Ammo- More ammo than Tonkor

Tonkor has an Ammo Pool of 40, Secura Penta an Ammo Pool of 30.

?

if you're referring to Magazine Size, that's more specific than 'Ammo'.

(around 70 only with point strike)

and don't have any problem with ammo consumption, pick tonkor

If u have a problem with ammo consumption, pick penta

Point Strike brings Tonkor to 87.5% Crit Chance.

Tonkor deals much, much more Damage per Ammo, how would Tonkor have Ammunition issues compared to Secura Penta?

Edited by taiiat

Its worth noting that the Secura's explosion (on top of the shield restore+boost) procs radiation on all nearby enemies, which not only makes them fight themselves, but also disables the Ancient Healer's damage-reduction aura, which is the bane of explosive/AoE weapons at higher levels.

Having basically the best possible syndicate effect (for an explosive weapon) puts the Secura Penta right up with the Tonkor in my eyes and lets the decision boil down to the weapon's mechanics - if you prefer to manually detonate, go with the SPenta; if you would rather need to make sure each shot hits (but can't kill yourself) go with the Tonkor.

Tonkor + terminal velocity. You need multishot, seration, 2 mods for critical, 2 mods for corrosive and 2 utility - terminal velocity and fast hands and you've got yourself shotgun on steroids. Only downside is that it needs some skill to master. After that no other weapon in game even comes near. 

Oh it has one more downside, after it, every other weapon in game feels lackluster. 

but yeah. Tonkor (atm, going to be fixed)

Rly? Where did you hear it, devstream? hope that they will fix it rather then ruin it. Because i would even rather have it as now then "nobody uses it because it's crappy" thing many other weapons have. Now it requires skill and it can miss what turns away majority of people already. 

Edited by ThorienKELL

Tonkor is way better. I think it is fine the way it is because to truly make it good, you have to be really skilled woth the aim to hit something more than 4 feet away from you, especially with heavy Cal, and because it's only truly end game worthy if you sink 3 to 6 forma to throw on all your elemental maxed mods and stuff like firestorm.

Tonkor is way better. I think it is fine the way it is because to truly make it good, you have to be really skilled woth the aim to hit something more than 4 feet away from you, especially with heavy Cal, and because it's only truly end game worthy if you sink 3 to 6 forma to throw on all your elemental maxed mods and stuff like firestorm.

Used both. Prefer the SPenta.

No doubt the Tonkor deals much higher damage, what with the forever-critting projectiles. But it all depends on individual preferences. The SPenta, with its versatile control mechanism and radiation proc, matches my tactical-oriented playstyle more than the Tonkor does. I admit I killed myself a lot with it initially, but once the requisite skill sets were developed, I found it to be a much more rewarding weapon. You don't need godlike grenadier skills to figure out how not to end up fragging yourself.

Plus, if you can wipe endgame maps clean with just a few thousand worth of splash damage, i don't see the point of having extra several thousand more at the cost of detonation-control?

32 minutes ago, ClinkzEastwood said:

Penta if you like killing yourself while dealing big damage, Tonkor if you don't like killing yourself while dealing bigger damage.

You only kill yourself when you don't know what you are doing.

Personally I prefer being able to control when my projectile explodes and aside from random bounces off other party members when they block my shot, I don't kill myself with the Penta.

Edited by (PS4)horridhal