Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Think Tank: Do We Age Because Of The Knowledge We Accumulate?

Institute-Marksman

I only just thought of this, but I wanted to have your opinion on it: Do we age because of the knowledge we have?

I'm talking about the mental aging process, not the physical one. Both are intertwined, but that's besides the point.

Our entire lifespan, we accumulate knowledge, regardless of whether we really need it or not. But this knowledge must be something our minds can access, somehow. A memory is like a box of experiences. Every one of them requires a key to open. But our key chain isn't that secure, and only the keys we use most remain visible. The ones we use less fall deeper into the pile of keys, because we don't use them(as often). Now heres the theory: We never really lose our memory, but we can lose the key to it, which can be a sound, a smell, a phrase, a feeling, any sort of experience. And each memory we have weighs us down. Even the ones we lost the key to, we drag along.

My question to you is: Do we age, mentally, because of the knowledge we have? The things we have experienced, the memories that reside within us? I mean, everything has mass, no matter it's size.

I think that this might be true. And that memory loss(amnesia) isn't losing the memory itself, but the keys to it. We age and eventually die(you can be healthy and sane), because our minds can quite literally not continue dragging on all these memories?

Your views and opinions on this theory are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Institute-Marksman

Yes, we are organic meat-bag computers that start with what we are given, and accumulate experiences from there.

Mentally ill people age.

All people age physically, mentally ill people (depending on the exact condition, of course) don't age mentally.

Edited by rapt0rman

It's being said that the brain has an amazing potential to store information, but our retrieval systems is like throwing a bunch of papers on the ground and rolling around on them, hoping to get the right one.

In addition, our retrieval system works by us recalling the circumstance of the time we last had that memory; ergo, we lose memories the more times we recall them, as more and more extraneous information is added. 

So yes, we mentally age not because we lose our memories, but because we lose the ability to accurately retrieve them. A person with Alzheimer's disease will still posses their memories; they just can't access them with any dependability.

This is only what I've gathered online in the past, so it's highly likely it's inaccurate.

I only just thought of this, but I wanted to have your opinion on it: Do we age because of the knowledge we have?

I'm talking about the mental aging process, not the physical one. Both are intertwined, but that's besides the point.

Our entire lifespan, we accumulate knowledge, regardless of whether we really need it or not. But this knowledge must be something our minds can access, somehow. A memory is like a box of experiences. Every one of them requires a key to open. But our key chain isn't that secure, and only the keys we use most remain visible. The ones we use less fall deeper into the pile of keys, because we don't use them(as often). Now heres the theory: We never really lose our memory, but we can lose the key to it, which can be a sound, a smell, a phrase, a feeling, any sort of experience. And each memory we have weighs us down. Even the ones we lost the key to, we drag along.

My question to you is: Do we age, mentally, because of the knowledge we have? The things we have experienced, the memories that reside within us? I mean, everything has mass, no matter it's size.

I think that this might be true. And that memory loss(amnesia) isn't losing the memory itself, but the keys to it. We age and eventually die(you can be healthy and sane), because our minds can quite literally not continue dragging on all these memories?

Your views and opinions on this theory are greatly appreciated.

its called lifeexpirience ... that makes us grow, and without mistakes we dont learn anything

everything else is useless

i for myself learn through insight and understanding

Edited by DUR4NDAL

The way I see it, we mentally age because we have the ability to remember...lose that and well...

Years of dreaming, drowned in a flood of fear and greed
Precious heritage laid waste before the chainsaws' snarling teeth
And still we wonder why
As the ground beneath our feet turns to dust
The air we breathe; laced with poisons
A legacy of disgust
A legacy of sorrow
So we're born with nothing and we die alone
Regret is all we have
Death is all we know

Forever #*($%%@.

Dunno about you all but the first thing I'm doing when I meet my demise is asking a dead-man how it feels to be mentally sound.

Edited by Laisha

Answer to OP - yes.

Memory is what shapes us. Everything that happend to you, everything that you went through - it stays with you, changes the way you see things, the way you react to them.

Example - phobias. They are rarely just appear out of nowhere. People tend to fear dogs because they were attacked by one in the past, especially as a kid. Such things leave a scar on your personality, forever changing it. You don't have to remember it all the time - it's just stays there, somewhere.

Edited by Artek94