Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is Undertale, And Why Do People Praise It So Much?

Kratos

Undertale is, from what I've read about it on TV Tropes, a game whereby you are totally in control of whether or not you kill things. It is entirely and utterly possible to go through the whole thing taking not a single life. Which is just so damned refreshing.

The tagline is, after all, "The Friendly RPG where no-one has to die".

Depending on what you do, Spare or Slay (I like alliteration), impact the kind of story you experience. And, because the creator is a very, very on the ball fellow, the game has quite a fair bit of meta commentary on games and how people play them. A significant amount of stuff exists to examine quite a few gaming conventions, even the stuff you don't think would count.

The characters are interesting and distinct, and whilst the game has some quite lighthearted bits, there's a fair bit of sheer horror in there (especially if you're going No Mercy...) Almost Giygas levels of it.

It's got Bullet hell going on, and depending on how you act throughout the game, there's a fair bit of script exploring the different ways you do things. Great soundtrack as well, from the bits I've seen.

I know that I am, when finances look better, considering picking it up when possible.

Undertale is, from what I've read about it on TV Tropes, a game whereby you are totally in control of whether or not you kill things. It is entirely and utterly possible to go through the whole thing taking not a single life. Which is just so damned refreshing.

The tagline is, after all, "The Friendly RPG where no-one has to die".

Depending on what you do, Spare or Slay (I like alliteration), impact the kind of story you experience. And, because the creator is a very, very on the ball fellow, the game has quite a fair bit of meta commentary on games and how people play them. A significant amount of stuff exists to examine quite a few gaming conventions, even the stuff you don't think would count.

The characters are interesting and distinct, and whilst the game has some quite lighthearted bits, there's a fair bit of sheer horror in there (especially if you're going No Mercy...) Almost Giygas levels of it.

It's got Bullet hell going on, and depending on how you act throughout the game, there's a fair bit of script exploring the different ways you do things. Great soundtrack as well, from the bits I've seen.

I know that I am, when finances look better, considering picking it up when possible.

I see.

It's a clever game with tons of charm. There's a skele-ton of little details that you wouldn't even notice. The humor meets my standards. The story is well paced and adds in a little humor even when there shouldn't be any, but also knows when to be serious.

It brings you on the feels train and when you think you're off, you're back on. That's my experience at least.

Undertale takes a bit another kind of approach for RPG style games. As we know standard RPGs being a bit too similar but Undertale. Took another rule set. Let the player choose how this approaches a problem. That is something new and it is something what community. Raises their hats and bows gloriously and bobs in dresses to Devs of the game.

I watched few walkthroughs and I had to say. "For first time I see somebody taking a different approach for game genre"

I'd assume thst since it has the art style of old games from decades ago that also plays a factor.

Also the fact that the creator of Undertale was also involved with that Tumblr comic "Homestuck" so I think Tumblr played a huge role in it's popularity.

Honestly it isn't my kinda game, I've seen my friend play it and it does look pretty good. The only thing I dislike about it is the community.