Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De! Y U No Man At Arms?!

VectorWolf

yes. working such Ingots took more than 12 hours of constant hammer work with two people swinging.

every single hit being completely unnoticable of it actually having done anything.

the Hydrauling Hammer is liable to break it's hammer face because instead of applying some force and then stopping, it will attempt to crush it, which is good luck.

worse still if the hammer face is made out of Cungsten Targlide (i'm sure someone will get that nickname), where it may just shatter from hitting a similarly sturdy material.

i encourage you to broaden your horizons on the different grades of Metal that have been long forgotten and only marginally understood in modern times.

you, instead, know very little about Metallurgy history.

Crucible Steel for example, is a beautifully simple thing, yet requires incredible precision and mastery quite ironically, with no room for any mistakes of any kind at all.

You really should just stop. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're just spouting a bunch of nonsense you've likely "learned" from video games and internet forums. Not a single thing you've said on the topic so far has been even remotely accurate.

Though one must say those weapons will be mostly mono steal variants with cheaper industrial steal with simple smithing techniques.^^

And that makes the difference between a sword for 50 bucks and a swords starting with at least 4 zeros behind the number or with 6 numbers total like some nihontos.

And smithing techniques in europes where lost till the 19th century. Just not today any more with most techniques.^^ Like the original process for making damascus steel is still unknown though many claim it´s not.

And i can totally understand someone that want them to make a real craftsman masterpiece with the best techniques and materials available. Though that would be unrealistic.

From my knowledge, sorry if I screw up any for being bird brained.

1) Wall Hanger  (50 bucks cheap sword)

rat tail tang made from cheap stainless steel, which you might snap the blade from the tang from swinging.

These are non-functional replica which are mainly decorative

2) Functional Replica, iaito, practice sword. ($300 - $600)

these are functionally intact, with proper geometry and mounting, except the intention 

is design as a practice sword, which cannot perform cutting or combat.

Metallurgy structure and processing does not allow usage as weapon, which with untempered edge the edge retention might be poor 

even if you sharpen the blade.

3) Battle-Ready Modern Reproduction ($300 - $2000+) 

These are modern reproduction, industrial grade steel plates, spring steel etc are used to make 

most of the reproduction katana are made in China as Japan has strict restriction on Steel katana

Functionality wise these has went through proper heat treatment and forging, just that the steel itself is not 

made traditionally

4) Master-Grade Production ($5000 - $10,000+)

From the steel ore to the final finishing is performed by master sword smith. 

The manufacturing process is following traditional methods and no steps is skipped

Bear in mind the master grade production are not necessary Functionally Better in terms of cutting performance

and durability compared to reproductions made from industrial grade steel.

However for Katana the Blade Smith, Blade Polisher, Scabbard Maker, Scabbard Painter/ Polisher, Handle Wrapper, 

Accessories such as Tsuba, Habaki, Kashira, Fuchi etc are made by dedicated craftsmans.

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

frankly i'd rather someone else make replicas, someone that would use the correct grade materials to make functional versions rather than just decorative ones.

Ok either you're trolling or you just don't watch to the end where they show off the finished weapons by cutting stuff up.  I'd go on about the process they use and how high quality their steel and heat treatment is, but I think you're just trolling.

As for getting these weapons made, it's not up to DE.  If we want them to do it then we have to spam them with posts and comments like "MAKE WARGRAME SKANA!" over and over and over

or wait a while until I get some more blacksmithing gear and classes and am good enough to start making them, because I totally want to.

From my knowledge, sorry if I screw up any for being bird brained.

1) Wall Hanger  (50 bucks cheap sword)

rat tail tang made from cheap stainless steel, which you might snap the blade from the tang from swinging.

These are non-functional replica which are mainly decorative

2) Functional Replica, iaito, practice sword. ($300 - $600)

these are functionally intact, with proper geometry and mounting, except the intention 

is design as a practice sword, which cannot perform cutting or combat.

Metallurgy structure and processing does not allow usage as weapon, which with untempered edge the edge retention might be poor 

even if you sharpen the blade.

3) Battle-Ready Modern Reproduction ($300 - $2000+) 

These are modern reproduction, industrial grade steel plates, spring steel etc are used to make 

most of the reproduction katana are made in China as Japan has strict restriction on Steel katana

Functionality wise these has went through proper heat treatment and forging, just that the steel itself is not 

made traditionally

4) Master-Grade Production ($5000 - $10,000+)

From the steel ore to the final finishing is performed by master sword smith. 

The manufacturing process is following traditional methods and no steps is skipped

Bear in mind the master grade production are not necessary Functionally Better in terms of cutting performance

and durability compared to reproductions made from industrial grade steel.

However for Katana the Blade Smith, Blade Polisher, Scabbard Maker, Scabbard Painter/ Polisher, Handle Wrapper, 

Accessories such as Tsuba, Habaki, Kashira, Fuchi etc are made by dedicated craftsmans.

This isn't entirely correct.

You can get a good cutting sword for as low as a hundred bucks.  I have several in the $100 to $500 range and they cut no problem and can function in a "battle". 

The more expensive ones are those that are more antique or artifacts such as those made from smiths that come from a long line of masters such as those found in Japan(some are considered national treasures)

or are custom hand made by a master smith who puts days and sometimes weeks and months of work into it until he is finished and sends it to the craftsman who makes the hilt and if it's a Japanese sword, it has to be sent to a master polisher to put the edge on the blade.

If you want a functional battle ready sword there are companies like Cold Steel that make great quality weapons in the $150 and up range.  I have a few of them and so far they have been great.

-snip-

i don't have time to spend hours trying to sort out all results for finding the sources i'm thinking of from all of the Crucible Industries results since that almost perfect matches every search so it's like a Site Map of their Website even though i'm not looking for that.

no hard proof of anything has been presented, it's words vs words, which is how things normally go on the internet.

i lose interest(since i have nothing i need to defend, no incorrect assertions to attempt to justify with more words) when actual armchair generals spout things that they heard on random corners of the internet. since i don't have 50 years of metalwork experience (like nobody in this conversation has or even close to has, and saying otherwise is them lying), i trust those with that experience, and trust their words.

methods of creating Steel that are thousands of years old are at minimum equal with modern production versions. which i don't know for myself, but when those with the experience examine samples visually and compositionally and say so, i'll certainly take their word for it.

the end where they show off the finished weapons by cutting stuff up.

-sigh- montages trick everyone i guess.

bottles, watermelons, Et Cetera - you can cut all of those representative props with a plank of wood(White Ash is always nice) you take to a belt sander to, to make a sharp edge. as long as you polish the flats so it creates little friction, you'll get those results.

as per why those that are looking to purchase good Tools often mention with disdain the marketing videos for various companies - as all they do is whack at nothing targets that don't show actual construction quality.

This isn't entirely correct.

You can get a good cutting sword for as low as a hundred bucks.  I have several in the $100 to $500 range and they cut no problem and can function in a "battle". 

I might have accidentally included shipping and tax charges on the prices I listed, 

yeah if there happen to be a local sword production company the price could come down a bit.

Though to be sure, the price tag does not assure quality, some might been overpriced

The only way to verify a sword's quality is by taking it apart to examine

Which can verify to an extend the structural integrity, but not the actual quality of the steel.

which flexing might be attempted to see if the blade undergo plastic deformation when flexed a little

to verify the resilience of the blade that mainly has to do with the young's modulus and yield strength

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

Haven't bothered with them since they dropped the original blacksmith, new guys have too much of an ego.

Are you kidding me? Tony was doing those blades "fukk off style". Just look at Elucidator. The handle isn't even straight. Look at Cap Murica shield. It looks like S#&$. Compare it to Link shield done by the new crew. That is the quality.

Have you ever saw Tony or his crew doing any decorating outside of electrolysis (not counting casting)? No. Ilya engraves their blades by hand.

The only decent work that came out of Tony's hand was Meteor Sword, and maybe Frostmourne.

As for getting these weapons made, it's not up to DE.  If we want them to do it then we have to spam them with posts and comments like "MAKE WARGRAME SKANA!" over and over and over

Have you ever saw any requests for Sword Cane from the newest Assassins Creed? No. Because it was Ubisoft that contacted them to make it.