Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoilers?] Is There A Way To Change Your Primary Focus Choice?

weezedog

Question

So I didn't want to see any spoilers before doing the Second Dream quest, and because of that I wasn't expecting to have to choose a focus tree. Then when I got there the choices were pretty cryptic based on the text (though I had a vague idea on a couple based on the polarity of mods).

Now that I've done the quest and done research on some of the trees and looked at the powers, I may want to change my choice.

I see there's an option for 50k focus points to "unlock" another tree, but what does that do exactly? Does that make it your primary or just open up additional options? Has anyone paid the 50k yet on another tree?

Edited by weezedog

22 answers to this question

So I didn't want to see any spoilers before doing the Second Dream quest, and because of that I wasn't expecting to have to choose a focus tree. Then when I got there the choices were pretty cryptic based on the text (though I had a vague idea on a couple based on the polarity of mods).

Now that I've done the quest and done research on some of the trees and looked at the powers, I may want to change my choice.

THIS. Even if you read the full description you just get a very vague idea of what you are getting, it doesn't really help that to know what kind of ability you are getting you have to know the names of mod polarities, me trying to remember if vazarin the offence polarity, (appearently madurai is the offence polarity, vazarin being the defence polarity) I chose it so now i have a healing pulse thing....

Anyway, even if it paid out in the end (yay being the hero that heals every one when they are almost dead without needing a support frame) i would have preferred a polarity's symbol below the description, or atleast being able to preview the skill trees.

Edited by Xicio

As far as I can tell, you need to obtain a Lens for that school, install it on something, then gain enough Focus points on that lens to unlock the school on the Focus menu.

confirmed. the lens HAS to be for the the tenno way you want to change to.

I tried spending my school's focus points on unlocking Madurai and it didn't work.

My friend has the exact same problem. The description is somwhow different from his expectation and now he just submitted a support ticket to see if he can change the primary focus.

when you try to stay spoiler free and select a tree, as well as put a lens on an item without fully realizing how gaining affinity works.  THere is a great opportunity for disappointment when others can do so much better then you.  i also submitted a ticket

There is a cap? i have to do about 15 missions to even get close to the cap.

Edited by kkinnison

even with enough points , still cant change school. for now we are stuck on the first school we choosen.

to further detail what Lightsmith said, with a lens for the school you want, get 50k with that to unlock, then hover over your new discipline, click the "make primary" button that shows up to switch to that power set

I've got 3 focus trees unlocked. All you have to do is have the respective lens, earn 50k with it, then unlock said tree. You can switch between primaries at the click of a button. Focus lenses do not effect your primary, so I could have every lens but vazarin equipped and still have vazarin as my active ability.

On 12/14/2015 at 1:16 PM, Xicio said:

You can change your primary tree, however to do so you need the lens of the class you want to go to and gain 50,000 for that class, once unlocked there is an option to set as primary.

Confirmed. This seriously needs to be made common knowledge, the stress of finding an answer shouldnt be a thing.

I changed my focus today, so it certainly works.

You need to have collected 50k focus for the specific path you want to choose- For me, I chose Zenurik, and now I changed into Naramon - I got the Naramon lens from the sorties. If you get a lens you don't want, you might be able to trade it for someone else to get a lens you actually need.

I equipped my Zenurik on my Redeemer - the weapon I use the most - and Naramon on Valkyr, the frame I do the more difficult missions with. Since I do most of the killing with Redeemer (and only use Valkyr's hysteria when I really, really need it), the paths collected focus at roughly the same rate. Unlocking another focus is done at the spoiler interface, where you click the "unlock" option of the path you want. If you can't do that, then you don't have enough specific focus - all paths have their own focus. If you've only gotten the one lens you got from completing the quest, then you can't open up another way - You _must_ acquire a different lens to open a different path.

As to good ways of acquiring affinity: Ivara or Loki (or ash) - stealth killing opponents gives you up to 500% affinity per kill as far as I know, coupled with the focus booster drop thingie that regularly appears, means that a relatively stealthy run of a spy mission can easily gather nearly ten times the affinity that you normally get for a similar mission. I recommend redeemer for this >.> But any high-power, silenced (innate, through mod, or through loki's "hushed invisibility") weapon capable of one-shotting your enemies will do.

Another good option is any high level mission where there's lots of enemies to kill - for example, Draco. If you've only got 1 weapon with you, and that has the lens, then 75% of everyone elses kills goes to that weapon (and 25% to your frame). Acquire another lens for your frame, and 100% of the affinity gained from your squadmates' kills goes towards your focus (multiplied by the lens multiplier, obviously, 1,25% or 1,75% for a greater lens). A setup like this can easily gain 30k focus for 4 waves in draco (or so I was told. Haven't tried this myself).

Remember that higher level enemies give more affinity than lower level enemies, thus resulting in more focus.

As to the part where you choose the focus - Yeah, it's not all that informative. For anyone who hasn't done the second dream yet, and is reading this (despite the potential spoilers) - DON'T spoil yourself - It's worth the surprise to do this without knowing what follows. When you do get to make a decision, though, alt+tab out of the game and read up about the ways on the wiki so you can properly choose what you want. Changing the way is pretty cumbersome if you're not able to stealth grind or draco massive amounts of affinity, since during "normal play", the affinity/focus accumulates really slowly.

On 2016-02-05 at 11:29 AM, SwiftPotato12 said:

I've got 3 focus trees unlocked. All you have to do is have the respective lens, earn 50k with it, then unlock said tree. You can switch between primaries at the click of a button. Focus lenses do not effect your primary, so I could have every lens but vazarin equipped and still have vazarin as my active ability.

Do you lose what you gained when you change your tree? Or do you keep all abilities that you unlock in all trees?